Forums > Technical Discussion > Looking to build a firestaff

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
The wood is probably there so the screws have something to grip into.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
im a newb but im on my second experiment staff.

the dowels are as stated above for the screws and to add weight to the ends.

i dont think you would even need to sew the two pieces of kevlar together couldnt you just wrap one wick normal and then wrap a second one right under that? essentially it would be one big wick.

as for whether or not it would burn the grip, i dunno

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
no need to sew them together, just attach as you woudl normally, and when screwed into the wood they will hold well.

For increasing burn time, there's not many options that make a massive difference, but massaging PVA into the ends of the wicks can help prevent fuel from flying out whiole spinning.

It makes a noticable difference, but too much PVA can make the ends too hard after several burns, so massage a bit in to start with, and then put more on later if needed...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
massive wicks biggrin I used to have 2 sets of 4.5 inch kevlar making 2 9 inch wicks on my old stick if you use 1m instead of 50 cm length wrapped around you can hold more fuel and get big burn-offs but even with a 155cm staff fire tended to lick towards the handle but I had a lot of grippy handle for contact.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Not quite. Flame size is basically about the surface area of the wick. The more area available for the fuel to mix and burn with the air the bigger the flame. So using longer lengths of wick to wrap will give you a fatter wick and thus larger flames.

If you're a real flame junky you could whip kevlar rope around the staff instead of flat wick, giving you a kind of 'Darth Maul' effect (like Rob's Uberchux), although I'm not sure what kind of burn time that'd give you.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Using screws into dowel to secure the wick is a much safer way of doing it, there's less exposed metal to heat up and they act to reduce the heat transferred to the rest of the staff. I did my firechucks that way instead of using wire as well.

Plus I'm sure you'll drift towards contact at some point, it's hard to resist :P

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Use a wood core coz :-
1 you can screw into it.
2 heat transfer.
3 weight and balance.
4 if you drop a staff without a core it tends to bend.
5 the dowl weighs practicaly nothing when compared to these wicks that you are talking of.
6 you just should even if you have no intention of doing contact.

On the matter of wick size, go for it the bigger the better and if you find that the flame keeps licking the main staff just remember to wipe off any exess fuel after each dip.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rellizate

I was thinking that the huge wicks and the dowls might make it too heavy though...

some might say that the heavier the better for contact

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
you soon will

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
ah its not impossible, im sure the wick will give it momentum if ya puttin as much as ya talkin bout

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with Simta since I've been spinning a staff for yonks but recently I've started to pick up some contact tricks and i even realised that a couple of my old tricks where dumbed down contact moves.

Surly you can do a helicopter palm spin even if it doesn't last for very long it's still a contact trick.

Go on try it you know that you want to.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i dont wanna steal anyones thunder but i just finished my Contact Staff version 2. 5.5 feet 7/8 inch diameter. i got 4 feet of 2.5 inch wide wick on each end and dowels in both ends. i havnt had a WHOLE lot of time to practise with it but so far its pretty good. I'm doing pinwheels faster then ever and the weight of the wicks really keeps teh contact going, i can just about do a conveyer. ill post some pics in sometime. for my second staff. i tihnk i did pretty good.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
50 cm should be fine just remember when not spinning to keep it horizintal so the flames don't lick up wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
It might be alright if you use leather rather than synthetic grip, but you'll probably burn your hands if you hlod the staff still too long.

Option 2: Use a longer stick. I use a 160cm stick for contact (you know you wanna learn wink )

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh right I though you meant you had 38cm gap between the wicks, gotcha. Even a 30cm gap between the wicks and grip is loads, you'll be fine smile You could probably drop the gap down to about 25cm/10" and still get away with it, more grip is good biggrin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ditto

I just use innertube, not as soft but very grippy wink

Page: