Forums > Technical Discussion > Is it possible to fix old wicks?

Login/Join to Participate

blahblahfishmember
4 posts

Posted:
I have used my cathedral wicks (purchased from oddballs in Camden) for many years... about 4 years. They have served me well. I take care of them.. they have never had water on them. I soak at least 15min before use..and I soak before they are put away.

It seems that over time the burn has been getting shorter and shorter. Am I just going crazy or is this what happens over time. I have used various fuels on them in the past... I don't think it is a fuel issue.

Am I going to be forced to buy a new pair (they are so expensive.. I am hoping not..)

Any suggestions, comments, ideas.. all appreciated.

Thankyou.

"Does God believe in people?"

Graffiti

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
It depends on what kind of heads you have.
If you have tube heads, I would recommend taking off the old kevlar, buying a length of fresh kevlar, and re wrapping them.
If they are another kind of head then you can do the same, only it a little more complicated. However their are ways of making your heads last longer, although im not deffinite as to which ones actually work and which ones are just myth.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Over time wicks degrade and need to be replaced, you are burning them after all.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

MordfabrikSILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
Over time, wicks will deteriorate. You can take measures to extend the lifespan, but they dont last. 4 years is a good run already. One of the things you can do is use PVA on any fraying edges they might have, which will help hold the integrity longer.

Unfortunately, the body of the wicks will slowly degrade, and sometime you will need a new set.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
kevlar wick on it's own is pretty cheep, and cathedral heads are easy to make, googling brings up a few guides, here's a couple :

hop animated guides:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/fireheads.php

photo guide :

https://8stars.org/a/firemaking/wicks/

as long as the bolts undo, and go back together ok you should find it easy smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

blahblahfishmember
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much to those of you who replied.. I think I will take your advice a become handyman jill.

:-)

"Does God believe in people?"

Graffiti

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Good links Yakumo.

A cathedral fold is probably going to be your easiest first project. The hardest part is getting the bolt or steel cable through all the layers of kevlar. I would recommend using a phillips head screwdriver or big nail to dig through each layer one at a time (try to keep it centered). Once it is all the way through, back it out at the same time you thread your bolt or steel cable back through.

If you want to go on the inexpensive side (less kevlar) you can try your hand at a hybrid wick: Hybrid tutorial. It's a bit more complicated than a cathedral but far less in cost of materials.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
I have those Hybrids that mtbeer makes, they burn forever and have a good weight to them. Definite fuel can drainers! give em a shot.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.