Page:
Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Something happened to me today and it made me really sad frown
I was out at the park like I always am on any day that gets above 45 degrees farenhight and was having a great time with my poi. Smile from ear to ear because I figured out some new moves and had just had a guy come up and watch me and compliment me on what I was doing. So I'm there spinning and happy and across the field comes a group of kids, ages roughly between 4 to 12, and thier mom? babysitter? dont know but there was 10 of them in all. Now from a distance I could hear the kids saying things like "WOW!!!!", "Look at that!!!" and "How cool" ect.... I started to smile even more and as they got closer they started to head my way. I was excited because I love to show people new things and talk about what I'm doing. Anyway I could hear thier care-giver say "no no come on guys we're going to the playground" which was a short distance from where I was spinning. Most of the kids listened after the third request by thier care-giver but one little girl was facinated and kept walking tward me. Then I hear the woman say "Allie Allie get over here people like that do drugs and are dangerous!" eek I stoped dead in mid swing, I was blown away!!!!! I went from happy to sad in that instant. It made me wonder if she would've said that if I was spinning fire in a troupe at an event and not just a guy in the park with his fluffy poi and dog. I sat down and had a cigarette and thought about what she said and it saddened me even deeper because there are now 9 little kids who are going to grow up thinking that and one adult who was responsible for those kids to fear something they were so facinated by. Anyway I tried for a few minutes to keep spinning and just didnt feel it so I packed up and went home to talk to my community here about it.
So has anything like this happened to any of my fellow HoPpers? If so how did it make you feel? If not how do you think it would make you feel?

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
I'm afraid I would be sad only after having been quite angry for a couple of minutes...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Loki_the_trickster

.............Then I hear the woman say "Allie Allie get over here people like that do drugs and are dangerous!" ...........

I sat down and had a cigarette ...........

smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

.............Then I hear the woman say "Allie Allie get over here people like that do drugs and are dangerous!" ...........

Written by:

I sat down and had a cigarette ...........

smile

so are you saying that because I'm a smoker that that makes me a dangerous person? or an illegal drug person OWD? Because she said that based on my poi I wasnt smoking at the time

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I was thinking that too Dave....

It may be very likely that the parental disapproval will drive Allie to be one more strongly as an act of rebellion although. I would feel sad that you girl would grow up wanting to be a spinner but with the idea that you'd HAVE to take drugs to be one...

If I was in that situation I would see if it'd be posssible to talk to the mother - being as articulate as I can - try to dispell that pre-conceived idea she has in her head. If it gets REALLY ugly, I would point out how drug use probably occurs more often within smartsuited corporations where they really do earn too much money. Another generalisation yes but more food for thought.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:

it saddened me even deeper because there are now 9 little kids who are going to grow up thinking that and one adult who was responsible for those kids to fear something they were so facinated by.

dont worry - its unlikely to have any long term affect. eventually theyll all go through adolescense and make a point of doing the opposite of what any adult tells them smile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon Shaolin

I would feel sad that you girl would grow up wanting to be a spinner but with the idea that you'd HAVE to take drugs to be one...

That was also one of the thoughts that I had that made me sad....

Written by: Neon Shaolin

If I was in that situation I would see if it'd be posssible to talk to the mother - being as articulate as I can - try to dispell that pre-conceived idea she has in her head.

I had thought about that while I was sitting there but judging her reaction , I mean she started to show panic in her voice when calling to Allie, I decided that it wouldnt be a good idea.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Or she will just forget what that woman said after 5 or 10 minutes playing in dog turd, I mean the sand pit at the park lol

I would have walked calmly up to her and said "excuse me, what did you just say I do?"...well I would have wanted too maybie I wouldnt have done it

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

I would have walked calmly up to her and said "excuse me, what did you just say I do?"...well I would have wanted too maybie I wouldnt have done it

That was actually my very first thought when I stopped spinning my poi but I figured that would validate her saying to the kids that spinners are dangerous and even if said nicely probably wouldve scared the kids. I mean some random guy starts questioning thier care-giver in the park, nah wouldnt have been cool. But yes I did want to because she assumed something about me that was unfair and she had no right to say about me.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Maybe she knows spinners who do drugs and dangerous stuff while spinning. We have people in our community who do stupid stuff.Maybe she is coming from an experience of hers. Maybe she thought you had beamers in those fluffy covers wink

She is a carer of multiple children in an open space with an unknown man with a duty of care. 10 kids would do my head in as well keeping track of them. I guess my approach would have been to get the kids to sit down nearby in a group to watch but once she has split them it gets hard to watch them all.
Dog adds to it all as well, Ive had dogs just run up and bite me in parks so I am very wary of dogs that are unleashed and especially with my kids.

I can absolutely sympathise with your sadness and your desire to share your passion. I can also see where she was coming from but I think she was wrong in what she said. Judgemental comments like that are crappy for everyone.

I have never seen a random spinner in a park. I feel ripped off.
Come spin near me please smile

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Once I was in a doctors waiting room, nice middle class type docs, not a needle exchange or something...
A small child was playing in front of me. She smiled at me, we started to chat about her toy... her *mum* figure yelled at her to come back over and whacked her for talking to strangers. I am a 50 year old lady for heavens sake, so it wasn't even prejudice about hippie spinner types!
Some people are just riddled with fear and insecurity and can't help passing it on.

These women are trying to give the kid the (wrong) message that the world is drastically unsafe. The other big message though is that she herself is such an incompetent carer that even if she is 5' away the kid is unsafe.

I reckon after the whack that the kid in the doctors also prabably got the message that the 'stranger' who smiled and looked upset when she got hit is likely to be a better bet than the 'caring' mum.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Like you need more kids Gabe. A 5 year old....eek eek

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
5 year old?
What 5 year old? eek
Is there something I should know, Gnor *looks under bed for random 5 year olds*

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
i think i got my posts mixed...

Can you take my child for an ickle bit?

Is it the Truth?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Out of experience, people with poi often do take drugs. Though the assumption that anyone would start "doing drugs and being dangerous" when a bunch of kids and a nanny or whatever walks up to them is a bit silly. But hey, we never know where the woman got her idea, maybe she or someone she knows has been treated badly by a spinner, so just forget about it and keep on spinning!

As shaolin said at least half of the kids will be more fascinated because they're not supposed to, and anyways you'll fascinate so many more yet!

Oh and by the way, spinning only over 45 fahrenheit?? girl!! tongue hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
and maybe it's not mainly the spinning.. I don't know you, but maybe it's something else that triggers her, like hair or clothes, or hats, or not being at work at that time of day, or being in park with dog...

and Birgit, hey... us Brissy spinners are so hard we spin when it's over 45 CELSIUS tongue (ask Rob!)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
please, no one take offence to this, but Loki: are you also a hippy/hippie by chance? I have to agree with newgabe, is there anything else that may have set her off?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Better bring your thermals to EJC then wink

Love is the law.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Have to say that in my experience as well there is indeed an assoiation, a rather obvious and very often present association. Although I doubt non-spinners think "there spinning socks around, they must be drugged up" although quite a few probably think we're weird wink

Most people either wander past looking confused or ask me what i'm doing when I spin. I think along the lines of the above, if people look more "hippy" like they'd likely get a different reaction from some people then if they were as boringly standard as myself smile

However the majority of spinners i've met appear to be some of the nicest people i've met and much more friendly then most. Nothings perfect but I expect the proportion of dangerous people is likely considerably less then most other "communities" and the portion of great people considerably higher.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1143455301)

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yeah Newgabe, Rob told me... not sure if I would, it'd have to get over 25°C here in the first place for me to find out ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Nope - never had this experience *phew* (yet)

And I do want to oppose the statement that ppl who spin "usually" do drugs and that you'd have to do drugs if you want to be a good spinner... umm

I did meet enough ppl who are completely sober, have never taken any drugs and are quite good at spinning to be able to state this.

But this would be a good message-shirt: "Nope, I'm not a junkie or dangerous, hence I spin fire" or such... wink

And yes, I'd take the opportunity to set records straight, or at least inquire how she came to this statement... smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I'd have gone and spoken to her, to stereotype like this is such a bad lesson for the kids

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Oh and by the way, spinning only over 45 fahrenheit?? girl!! tongue hug

ubblolthats because I'm still kinda new and have a hard time spinning with lots of clothes on ubblol once I get better I'll be out in any temperature wink

Written by: newgabe

and maybe it's not mainly the spinning.. I don't know you, but maybe it's something else that triggers her, like hair or clothes, or hats, or not being at work at that time of day, or being in park with dog...

Written by: Hanz

please, no one take offence to this, but Loki: are you also a hippy/hippie by chance? I have to agree with newgabe, is there anything else that may have set her off?

ubblol very true but I look more like a cowboy than anything else.....look at my pic in my gallery the one where I'm wearing the cowboy hat thats the exact outfit I had on when this happend. (blue jeans, dark blue shirt, cowboy hat)
may be she has a fear of cowboys ubblol
the only thing about me I would consider intimidating is my hieght. I'm six foot five inches tall. I dont know what that is for all you metric system people but it translates into very very tall. wink

Written by: FireTom

But this would be a good message-shirt: "Nope, I'm not a junkie or dangerous, hence I spin fire" or such...

ubblolI am soooooo going to start working on a silkscreen for that one ubblol

Written by: Vampyricacid

I'd have gone and spoken to her, to stereotype like this is such a bad lesson for the kids

yeah like I said I didnt want to scare her or the kids so I thought it was best to leave it alone shrug

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Well, if you're a glowstringer (like me) events like this are the story of your life. Although I've never taken drugs even once, I find myself surrounded by people who constantly ask "whoa, how much X do you need to take to do THAT!?" And the worse part of it is that they're actually serious and believe that being high makes you spin better.
Glowstringing I believe has the worst "drug" stereotype of all the spinning arts. Over on glowsticking.com we've been trying very hard to change the negative stereotype that glowstringing is just something that "those druggies do" and get it to be appreciated as an art.
I honestly never knew poi had a drug stereotype, I know I've never thought that at least. As depressing as events like this are, you need to know that you could have it a LOT worse.

I feel for you though *puts hand on shoulder* hug
but I guess it comes down to either being accused of being a druggie hippie, or a druggie raver, neither of which are true.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Yeah I can see how that could happen Ange rolleyes
hugI feel for you too hug
Man oh man do I ever hate stereotypes

trixieBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
So would you not have minded that those young impressionable little people saw you have a cigarette?
Working with children has made me evaluate my role as a positive role model and as such i have not had a cigarette for three years. As a performer you will be judged just as much as you will be admired it's up to you to prove them different.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Actually to be fair, your a 6 foot 5 man with long hair and a cowboy hat on. Thats a little out of the ordinarry and a little intimidating. Even for me too and I use the same forum you do.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
smoking a cigarette does not make a bad role model in itself.

Look at all the business men/women that have the downstairs basement to smoke in, or duck outside for a quick cigarette.

Unfortunately, the fact remains that combined with spinning and what spme people would call "loitering" in a park, there will always be some people that think this.

I haven't had that happen to me yet. smile

In fact the opposite kind of thing happened, twas down the local park/playground with 2 of my kids, decided to practice a bit. Next thing, lady in suit comes up to me asking me about poi spinning, how long I'd been doing it etc. Said her daughter did poi & staff & she thought it was great, even had a go herself eek (bear in mind they weren't lit)

She had obviously given her daughters ones a go as she was quite good.

But over here Maori poi aren't associated with drugs either so that probably helps

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: trixie

So would you not have minded that those young impressionable little people saw you have a cigarette?
Working with children has made me evaluate my role as a positive role model and as such i have not had a cigarette for three years. As a performer you will be judged just as much as you will be admired it's up to you to prove them different.

as I said I wasnt smoking when this happened and if the kids came over I wouldnt have smoked in front of them I had the cigarette after this all went down and even then did the kids see me smoking? no....they were at the playground by then and I was far enough away that they couldnt have seen....plus my back was to them because I was sitting at a picnic table and faceing the other way

Written by: Brit_Joe

Actually to be fair, your a 6 foot 5 man with long hair and a cowboy hat on. Thats a little out of the ordinarry and a little intimidating. Even for me too and I use the same forum you do.

I assume by your name that your from the UK? I live in the USA and cowboy hats are quite common where I'm from.....alot of the local farmers where them so its not that far out of the ordinary. Also my hair isnt that long.
My hieght I already stated couldve had something to do with it, I could see my hieght maybe being intimidating, but does that justify her statement? Are tall people dangerous just because thier tall? Or drug users for that matter?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
It's a shame when stuff like this happens. I can see why the woman would have been over cautious - looking after your own kids is one thing - but looking after other peoples is another, however this doesn't mean it was right at all for her to steriotype you.

I have to say in my experience a lot of spinners do take drugs, but I wouldn't say the majority. A few of the spinners I know, steriotype most spinners to be on drugs, which I think is very sad, but I think it's because they are into that scene and assume that most other people who spin also are.

I would hate to think that people assumed I do drugs because I'm a spinner, and to be honest, if that had been me, I probably would have said something, but I don't know if that would have been helpful as it would probably have started an argument and made things worse.

I supose one thing you could have done would be to say (pretending you hadn't heard), that the kids can stay and watch for a bit - you don't mind, and then tried to explain about poi and its origins a bit, that may have helped dismiss her beliefs (its amazing how human people become if you talk to them). But this may not have worked if she was adament about getting the kids away.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It did happen to me. A few months ago. I yelled after her "I'm a pediatrician, do you mind???" She didn't turn around.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: