Page:
Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Something happened to me today and it made me really sad frown
I was out at the park like I always am on any day that gets above 45 degrees farenhight and was having a great time with my poi. Smile from ear to ear because I figured out some new moves and had just had a guy come up and watch me and compliment me on what I was doing. So I'm there spinning and happy and across the field comes a group of kids, ages roughly between 4 to 12, and thier mom? babysitter? dont know but there was 10 of them in all. Now from a distance I could hear the kids saying things like "WOW!!!!", "Look at that!!!" and "How cool" ect.... I started to smile even more and as they got closer they started to head my way. I was excited because I love to show people new things and talk about what I'm doing. Anyway I could hear thier care-giver say "no no come on guys we're going to the playground" which was a short distance from where I was spinning. Most of the kids listened after the third request by thier care-giver but one little girl was facinated and kept walking tward me. Then I hear the woman say "Allie Allie get over here people like that do drugs and are dangerous!" eek I stoped dead in mid swing, I was blown away!!!!! I went from happy to sad in that instant. It made me wonder if she would've said that if I was spinning fire in a troupe at an event and not just a guy in the park with his fluffy poi and dog. I sat down and had a cigarette and thought about what she said and it saddened me even deeper because there are now 9 little kids who are going to grow up thinking that and one adult who was responsible for those kids to fear something they were so facinated by. Anyway I tried for a few minutes to keep spinning and just didnt feel it so I packed up and went home to talk to my community here about it.
So has anything like this happened to any of my fellow HoPpers? If so how did it make you feel? If not how do you think it would make you feel?

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Huh and Doc is all handsome and clean cut looking.....I guess its not just me.

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

It did happen to me. A few months ago. I yelled after her "I'm a pediatrician, do you mind???" She didn't turn around.

ubblol You may want to be careful yelling that out after a slightly paranoid of strangers person. They may not understand that you mean you are a doctor!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
ubblol rolleyes ubblol

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Loki_the_trickster

Then I hear the woman say "Allie Allie get over here people like that do drugs and are dangerous!" eek

That's horrible! You should have ran over and said:
"Excuse me, only an overwhelming majority of us do drugs and an overwhelming majority of us spin fire in dangerous sitations but not ALL of us!"

ubbangel ubbangel ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
well, at least you weren't fire breathing wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Fortunately I have never had an experience like that, and I hope I never will.

And if I had have, instead of sitting down, feeling sad and smoking I would very calmly and very seriously have asked her what she meant by that and inform her that I was extremely offended and why.

Not that she would have listened but perhaps the kids would have, which meant they would have seen not only a beautiful art but someone strong doing it.

And about the smokin' thing. I agree. I think that from a closed-minded individuals perspective, putting down the poi to have a cig would reinforce the idea in my head about "people like that". *shrug* It sucks but the world won't change unless we are proactive in changing our own roles within it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TheGreatSaintGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
https://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/03/mob_rule_proven.html

If you questioned people viewing poi for the first time, I think this rule would apply. Either we do Drugs, are Dangerous, or are safe and cool (given the options you provide on a panel of questions). 2/3rds of the population will be on either side or taking a view of each.

The caretaker in this case saw the poi person as dangerous and possibly under the influence of drugs. As mentioned earlier, she was charged with the care and safety of these children, so her words could have simply been a measure of her situation (the need to keep the children away from bad influences).

If part of a private panel and then asked a series of questions regarding the performance, she would be more inclined to see the spinner as a professional or just a person with a unique hobby. The degree to which she truly thought you were dangerous, or a drug user is unknown.

I think you did the right thing by not confronting this person on the issue. If they had already taken an opposite opinion regarding your art, chances are very unlikely that you could change her mind. Any confrontation would be provoking conflict.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Welll I think a lot of people beleive spinners do drugs. I was spinning with my girlfriend at a concert last year and no less then 10 different people came up to me and asked "hey you must have something good to be doing that" or "Do you have any acid" I know with the dreads and everything I look the part of someone who might have drugs on them but I didn't and after a while it really started to bug me.

It all worked out though, after the first band finished and I sat down this guy came up to me, shook my hand and said "I have been watching you spin those things for the past half hour and it's amazing. I just really wanted to let you know I enjoyed watching you alot." And that ladies and gentmen is one of the reasons why I love to spin.

Peace, Love, Circles

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

That's horrible! You should have ran over and said: "Excuse me, only an overwhelming majority of us do drugs and an overwhelming majority of us spin fire in dangerous sitations but not ALL of us!"

ubblol ubblol ubblol

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
When I stayed with my aunt in England I had to be very careful about mentioning my poi spinning because apparently when he was interviewing nannies, one was a spinner and my aunt was like "i dont want that kind of bad hippy influence on my children" or something along those lines.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

That's horrible! You should have ran over and said:
"Excuse me, only an overwhelming majority of us do drugs and an overwhelming majority of us spin fire in dangerous sitations but not ALL of us!"

ubblol rolleyes ubblol

Written by: Pele

Fortunately I have never had an experience like that, and I hope I never will.

And if I had have, instead of sitting down, feeling sad and smoking I would very calmly and very seriously have asked her what she meant by that and inform her that I was extremely offended and why.

Not that she would have listened but perhaps the kids would have, which meant they would have seen not only a beautiful art but someone strong doing it.

a beautiful woman such as you Pele probably couldve pulled that off but I really think I wouldve just scared her or started an arguement in front of those little kiddies and that was the last thing I wanted to do.

Written by: TheGreatSaint

think you did the right thing by not confronting this person on the issue. If they had already taken an opposite opinion regarding your art, chances are very unlikely that you could change her mind. Any confrontation would be provoking conflict.

Yeah I thought it was best to leave it alone. If there were no kids present I deffinately wouldve said something though.

Written by: Rouge Dragon

When I stayed with my aunt in England I had to be very careful about mentioning my poi spinning because apparently when he was interviewing nannies, one was a spinner and my aunt was like "i dont want that kind of bad hippy influence on my children" or something along those lines.

Now thats just sad. hug

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: 87wt2gxq7

Heh. I woulda pointed to the woman and said "Allie Allie think for yourself, people like that do prejudice and are boring!"

...But yeah I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have helped anything.

Sorry that happened to you, Loki.

ubblol ubblol ubblol rolleyes ubblol ubblol ubblol

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
I've spun glow sticks and had people drive up who stop roll down the window and ask kif i was on X or how much i take.. granted they were on a bone drive or w/e that druggy lyngo is. I've never had Anyone ask me when i spin my fluffies or flags.. nto even at a club. i actaually get people who respect me at clubs becase of my spinning skills.

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
I'd like to think shouting back "so do you" would have helped. biggrin
but it wouldn't frown
still, if that offended her you could then point out you felt the same and maybe she should think about what she's saying in future.
Being British of course, I would have smiled, done nothing, walked home, and then fumed in impotent solitude for a while.
-meh-

*produces sandwich- is happy*

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Have you ever herded a bunch of little kids ?

If so, you'd understand the need sometimes to pull any trick out of your hat that stops a little girl from chatting up complete strangers in public parcs behind your back ...

I wouldnt read a vicious socio-profiling of the whole poi ciommunity into a sloppy babysitter remark trying to keep her kiddy herd in one place ...

More poi less paranoia folks ...

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
NO 87wt2gxq7 !

What I HAVE said is that you too would probably use any lame excuse that just crosses your mind to stop a little girl you are responsible for from talking up strangers in a park ...

especially if you have 10 other kids to watch so cannot keep an eye on them all.

I wasnt there. I was premuming that this babysitter adressed her remark at the little girl and not at the poi player.

If you so carefully weight any stupid remark from any fool in any park you up for a heartattack I prmise you ...

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
being stressed isn't an excuse, if you can't keep a clear head while looking after a bunch of kids, why are you in charge of ten of them?!
tell her not to talk to strangers or something, it'll have the same effect and won't offend anyone. If you said that about a black guy you'd get nugged over for a hate crime.*sticks tongue in cheek* soapboxSpinners are a social minority too!! stop the hate! stop the prejudice! equal pay and voting rights for spinners! soapbox

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ZeroG

Have you ever herded a bunch of little kids ?

If so, you'd understand the need sometimes to pull any trick out of your hat that stops a little girl from chatting up complete strangers in public parcs behind your back ...

I wouldnt read a vicious socio-profiling of the whole poi ciommunity into a sloppy babysitter remark trying to keep her kiddy herd in one place ...

More poi less paranoia folks ...

Actually yes yes I have .....I have two daughters ages 6 and 9, thier pics are in my gallery, and have on many occations been a solo caregiver to lots of kiddies at once. The remark she made was not ok and what I wouldve done if I was her wouldve been to ask me if the kids could sit and watch seeing as all of them were interested it wouldve given her a little break while they all sat and watched. As to what she said to "herd" the little-un I think all she needed to say was STRANGER DANGER STRANGER DANGER and that wouldve sufficed.

Written by: Boz

If you said that about a black guy you'd get nugged over for a hate crime.

Thats kinda how it made me feel subsitute me for a black man apply the same statement and then how ok is it ZeroG?

Spinners are a social minority too!! stop the hate! stop the prejudice! equal pay and voting rights for spinners!

ubblol rolleyes ubblol

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Hey, it wasnt me who said this nonsense.

Of course it was a stupid remark and NOT OK.

Of course it would NOT be ok to speak similarly about minorities.

BUT I was just trying to take the heat out of this "if you let any stupid remark by any stupid passer-by in any publik park to your heart, goodnight ..."

also, I was giving the benefit of doubt to a stressed out babysitter trying to keep a bunch of kids in 1 place and thuis using a stupid lame excuse...
"Allie, please come"
"why"
"because we all go to the playground"
"no, I want to watch this"
"Allie, please come here"
"No, I want to watch"
"Allie pleeeaase ..."
"Nooo, ahhhhh"

In the meantime 50 yards away, 1 kid is drowning in the parks pond, another kid pushes his friend off the swing breaking hios leg, later the lawyer father of the 2 will successfully sue the babysitter of neglect ...

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

In the meantime 50 yards away, 1 kid is drowning in the parks pond, another kid pushes his friend off the swing breaking hios leg, later the lawyer father of the 2 will successfully sue the babysitter of neglect ...

ubblol

like i said, if you can't control ten kids, don't take 'em to the park.

"allie, come here, i've got sweeties" or allies favorite toy, or a big shiny balloon, any of that tat kids love. wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:

"allie, come here, i've got sweeties" (...) any of that tat kids love. wink

ubblol

And then get sued from the parents for the dentists bill wink

umm If I'd find my babysitter putting paranioa into my child for control or other issues, I'd certainly sue her for the shrinks bill... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
ubblol well seeing as everyone is sueing I guess I should sue for slander ubblol

And being a parent I soooo agree Boz.....you should never take care of more kids than you can handle and control

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I get comments like this all the time because I'm a DJ. I even had an argument with an my aunt because she said that I shouldnt be allowed to see my cousins as she didnt want them to be involved in 'those kinds of things' or mixing with 'those kinds of people'.

People are prejudiced against so many groups. No one cares if it is not one of your standard 'isms' though. I've just learned to deal with it. It makes me laugh most of the time. People can believe whatever they want about me. I know that I work hard to maintain my DJ'ing and spinning. I bet very few of them can claim to have the same dedication to anything. There really are not many people who work a standard week and give up most of their free time to learning new skills on a daily basis.

Kids will discover the truth for themselves. I sure did. And I grew up in the age of tabloid anti-rave hysteria.
smile

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
i just dont see why people have such an obsession with putting labels on things. there is only one label we havei n common, that is human
the rest of it is surface shite that people base on quick decisions. i get hassled all the time by all manners of people, and every time i say you are wrong, i am not a hippy/druggie/raver, i am sarah.

and that woman should know better, man if she looking after 10 kids she shouldnt be cos thats too many, if there all hers she needs to shut her legs, and if there not then she needs more help! and she should be more open minded aswell, you should be open if you look after kids for a profession after all most behaviour you do will influence them, imagine every time she sees a spinner or a 'hippy' and she makes comments...
grr people like that piss me off no end

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Saying the you do drugs and are dangerous are just an easy excuse for her to explain why she didn't want the kids watching you.

Perhaps she really did think you were dangerous, not in the physical sense but in the sense you might give the kid the 'wrong' ideas. Ideas like its fine to be in the park on your own smiling to yourself. To some people that is REALLY dangerous!

Page: