tricksenBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
i can do most of the poi moves,but i can't do the chasing the sun move.something about it won't click in my head.and also backwards weave?
anyone got any advice please?

***********************************to find your mind you have to lose it first!!

BurnsBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
you can learn both at the same time!
now you'll listen?

try doing backwards weave with one hand, preferablyyy your bad one, now try and follow it with your other.

this is half weave, 2 beat and yes chaing the sun sort of. again try chasing the sun one hand at a time thats the best way to learn behind the back as well

BurnsBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
i have sent you a few messages but i don't think you;ve got them?

tricksenBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
hey burns,cheers for the advice,but still not sure!could you explain it abit more?

***********************************to find your mind you have to lose it first!!

BurnsBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
can you do from forwards butterfly to above and behind your head?

you can sleep for ever and still be tired!!!!!!!

BurnsBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
sorry i've broken it down a lot its hard to explain without pretty pictures, now try both going the same way there is a name for it like corkscrew or windmill or something ie rather than butterfly, then instead of splits both at the same time!!! Comprendieeeeee?

climbing?

that which does not kill me can only make me stronger!

tricksenBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
hey,i can do the butterfly bhind my back(only from reverse butterfly)and i can do the corkscrew and windmill. i think.as i've taught myself poi,just from picture etc,as noone up here do's it,so i'm not always sure if i'm doing tricks right!as for climbing i've just sent you a private message.
are you online for a while?as i am at work and i should do some,but can talk more later(an hour or so)still be around?

BurnsBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
the best way to learn is from scratch you develope a pure technique but it does take a lot of dedication. i should be around later if not e-mail me!

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Get a pair of sticks and go slowly to teach your hands what to do.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This should get transferred to the "poi moves" or "help" sections.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
The way I got the Chasing the sun, was to do a 1-beat weave. Then when they are at the top on the right side, throw your hands over your head towards the left side. this gets the poi,whatever, side by side spinnin' behind your back and bring it back and forth between your back and front sides. This then creates a (possibly backwards) Chasing the Sun

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Is a one beat weave not just a regular swing?

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I don't know. Its all I can do. *lowers head in shame* And yet I can do alot of more 'complex' moves like corkscrew, windmill, reverse corkscrew, reverse windmill, reverse chasing the sun, etc.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Actually, a one-beat would be a same-time figure-8 because it's one beat on each opposite side. But I know what you are talking about, Bram. If you are doing, say, forward side circles, and you cross one over and keep it there, that is what he is describing. Basically both on one side, and then you change both to the other side at once and so forth. Just remember to keep which ever hand you cross first on top to keep them from tangling up. Actually Bram, minus the slight under-explanation, that is the best description I have ever heard on how to learn a chasing-the-sun. Very good idea, and one HELL of a lot simpler concept to grasp than the whole "do a windmill, but don't do a windmill, just do it, but don't like, split it up or anything...and make the poi stay on the same side" stuff that you always hear. You hit the nail on the head! Congratulations for making the poi community's life collectively easier! Man, I love a fresh perspective!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

884 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...from what I understood, all weaves were split time and the beat count was the number of poi passes made on one side of the body before passes begin on the other side. So a one beat weave would be just swinging in split time.

I mean, if weaves could be done in time, couldn't you do an infinite beat weave as described here? To me that just doesn't seem to be in line with the nature of a true weave.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I see what you are saying. But that really wouldn't be classified as a weave, the same as spinning one poi in an (imaginary) weave movement wouldn't be either. That's why a chasing the sun isn't a same time windmill, just no one has really named what NYC was talking about. Technically speaking, though, side circles are side circles. If you cross them like a figure-8, but don't split the timing any, you have one beat on each side. That doesn't necessarily make it a one beat weave, it makes it a same-time figure-8, or a forward cross. But for the purposes of trying to explain beats, it is just easier to say it is a "one beat" because when you do it repetitively, you have one beat on each side from each poi. When you split the timing, you get 2 beats on each side. It's not a two beat weave...it's a split-time figure-8. When you add an extra beat from the opposite hand so that your hands start changing position (left hand leads to the right, right hand leads to the left) you have three beats on each side, and that is technically when it is considered a "weave" because your hands are actually weaving from side to side. That is how I show people how to count beats, because it shows them what to look for. I know there is a technicality involved, but it is splitting hairs. That's why you only hear about 3-, 4-, and 5-beat weaves. And if you'll look, I never said "weave" and it's not edited.

884 posts

Posted:
Ahhh...now I see what you were getting at. Makes good sense.

I guess it's just how you count your passes. Myself, I've always considered a "pass" to be one swing made by *only* one poi...so if you had two in time, it wouldn't be one pass with two poi, it would be two passes at the same time.

Oh well...potatoes, potatoes.

Hmm, that phrase doesn't work so well when written out.