Page:
KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey fellow fire people, and twirlers alike.As an opinion of an experienced fire twirler, I feel that if you glowiestried fire you wouldn'tgo back. But that's what I get out of this ancient art. I don't expectothers too.Being and avid twirler in general. I twirl a lot. I also twirl glowsticksand normal/uv poi. But I have to admit, it's the fire poi that I like themost and get the most out off. I find the heat from the flames, thebrightness of the gentle orange light wonderful. And the sound, Oh the_sound_ that amazing 'whooosh' that you get as you begin to twirl. Theelement of fear and that slight adrenaline rush you get, when you are doingyour moves. Knowing full well that if you screw any of those moves up,you're possibly in for a burn. Then there's the incredible feeling you get,when you have practised and practised a move without you poi on fire, thenyou finally decide to light up. After warming up, you think ok I am goingto go for it, then when you get that really hard move on fire, you are sowonderfully happy, you get the biggest rush. Then as time wears on, yourflams die and you're out. After taking 5 for a rest you are off again.Gripped in that trance state that fire twirling puts you in. This is justthe tip of the iceberg to what I get out of fire twirling.However, I think what I find, and maybe other firetwirlers do too I am notsure, is when glowstickers post on list how good they are and how manywraps they can do etc. I sit there and think well yeah, that's pretty cool.But I bet you, glow-hot-shot you are not prepared to do that trick on fire.However, don't get me wrong here, I'm not anti-glowsticks. In somesituations I think they are highly appropriate, ie rain, and indoorparties' etc. But the feeling I get from glowsticking is nothing to that offire.Maybe it's a fire snob/elitist attitude. Where I figure if you can't doyour Tricks on fire, don't' bother doing them and especially don't botherbragging how good you are at doing them, till you have tried doing it onfire. I think there are a lot of talented glowstickers out there, and Iwould love to see them do it on fire. If not for their own thrill of usingfire, but for their audiences too as well. They will get to awe inamazement at these tricks you guys are pulling off.I have a question to all you glowers out there are you/ have you tried fireor are you interested in fire twirling at all?And I guess I would like to ask those fellow fire people out there, howthey feel towards this, whether they feel similar to what I do, or if theyhave a different opinion.Thanks for reading my ranting.I look forward to some constructive replies.Love and Light.Katinca

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
time for me to say my bit....but afterlast night, ive earned IT smileFIRE FIRE...did my first 3 burns ever...and the feeling was AMAZING...totally alive, and FAR FAR more intense than spinning any thing "glowy"..i manage in the space of one hour to twirl, ropes, with a full length burn, then single staff, then poi.....it makes all the hours of practice worth while....once or if youve done it you understand...

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Silly Ravers! Fire is the only way!!"GIVE ME THE POWER, OF MANS RED FLOWER, SO I CAN BE LIKE YOU"-Jungle Book

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
well call me the black sheep of the group but iv never really wanted to spin fire. I love my glowsticks (i must really be a silly raver huh)... i also disagree with the statement that u cant be gracefull with glows sticks. if u ever have the chance download bjork - all is full of love (plaid remix), u will find out there is few ways not to spin gracefully to that song. And lastly now that most of u people probably dont consider me an "open minded spinner" any more. i hate the wieght of fire poi. at one point i was thinking about getting some but after seeing how heavy and acward they are (btw i use shorter strings than most) i could never use them. as a side note (that will probably be disagreeable with most) ever tried spinning 5 minute ultra high intensity glowsticks. maybe not fire, but make sure ur wearing sun glasses while doing themdamn i talked to much no one is going to read my post now

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
I've never spun glowstix and I am actually thinking about ordering some (they're really hard to find around here),cause they're colorful and bright, and safe. Sometimes I have to spin indoors, or its raining outside...I need to have something that glows so I can turn off the lights and dont hit myself.But, I've been spinning fire for a year. Fire and fire only. I've spun ribbon poi in some daylight performances, and they're beautiful, but...fire is my element.I started spinning because I always loved to "play" with fire!! I've always been a kind of a pyromaniac. I've set my house on fire several times (I mean it). When I was a little girl I used to pour whole alcohol bottles in the fireplace to see the fire grow and burn. My mother wanted to kill me each time, but...you know what I mean. Fire is inside me.Fire is the beginning of everything. I have to find this text I have about some ancient Greek philosophers who tried to discover which one of the four elements (water, air, fire, earth) was the source of life. And one of them, Thales I think, came to the conclusion that fire is what gave life to our planet. And since then, everyone agrees. If I find it I'll put it here.So, thats it. I guess you guys already noticed that I love to write!!! All my posts are huge! smileFire, fire, fire, fire! It's the danger, it's the power, it's all about what's inside you and the way you feel about it.------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!![This message has been edited by plastikgirl (edited 28 July 2001).]

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i only think fire won because none of the hordes of glowstick-only people posted in this topic....Pere(can we have a fire spinning site again please?)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i dunno man, holy arguments is all i have to say...its totally like comparing fruit, i think all have there advantages and disadvantages...i love regular ol performance comet poi, because there beautiful, easy to make, and do sound a lot like fire...i have red and orange ones, so in dim light when strings cant be seen, they even look like it...id realy like to try glowstick poi, i havent yet but i think they'd be so much fun...but as for fire...i think it excells all...i cant wait till the day i try it, i think "skichristian" put it perfectly and beautifuly, the power of firewhenever i see anyone spin fire, i remember it for so long, and constantly think about it...the beauty, the power, the grace, the sound....it entrances you totally...unfortunatly, at an evergrowing rate, the beauty and respect of the party scene has been turning into a lot of candy ravers and turned into a big e and crack pit...(dont take offense, im just stating what im seeing take place,and its sad)... i just recently went to the 4th annual shambhala here, and i saw so many fire spinners and belly dancers, something that has been stifled in this area...it was the most beautiful thing ive ever seen, and fire spinning just brings us back...no technology, no stress of the world falling apart...spinning fire is a powerful and respectful thing, working with mother nature, and actually ahving her hug and caress you...living off the earth like so many people fail to do now....but again it alldepends what kind of feeling your going for... smilethanks

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
This argument is over right. From my stand point we've all either mixed both or respect the other now. I feel that this board has been through a lot of drama and are getting over it awesomly. The occasional "shit talk" is a treat I hope no one takes from us. Love you all. (especially my ladies)Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I supose I might as well jump on the band wagon.I just got a pair of fire poi. I also twirl staff. I donno If I could pick a favorite. the fire is quite the rush, but glowsticks have enourmous utility.Nice thread...Good to see where everyone stands.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I think both glow and fire suck ass.STUFFED ANIMALS ARE THE WAY TO GO!ph33r the flying pigs!heh j/k grin------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey give me back my pigs. fire or glow: remains neutral.

anyone got a light?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Phunky, You're a strange little man. Funny, but starnge. Looking forward to seeing what you got in the compitition.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I know, I know, I know... this is a topic people hate. and its been discussed to death. I considered starting my own thread, but it fits here better. So, flame me for bringing this topic up, or flame me or posting in the wrong spot. catch 22. (perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut)any way... I learned last night, that jugglers(some anyway) tend to shy away from poi in general, because it has been associated with the club scene. Would it be safe to say that many people here like fire over glow sticks, cause it sets you apart from the 'ravers'? I mean, I understand the thrill of fire and all that... but is there a deeper drive behind the hate of glowsticks on this thread?do you feel glowsticks take from your art, because they are accociated to the rave scene?

I smell something burning.

miggyzmember
1 post

Posted:
There are many things that set me apart from ravers, so to single out a love of fire is a little unfair. Don't get me wrong fire rocks, and glow-sticks are a little tame in comparison, but they both have their merits, but there is just something magical about surrounding yourself with a whirling vortex of roaring flame on a dark night. I've always been fascinated by fire, some would say to an un-healthy degree, but thats their problem for being rather dull and unimaginative. If spinning poi gives me an outlet for my somewhat arsonistic tendencies then it has to be a good thing.However I feel I am digressing. Well thats a first on this site....Fire is my purpose in poi, glow-sticks are a poor imitation which suffices when I find myself in an environment where fire is not appropriate. I think the whole issue of fire vs glowsticks is a little childish, they both have their place.I'll just go and listen to some Grateful dead now and think of burning things.....

MiggyzAnyone seen my wombat?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say firies hate glowsticks, that's a little harsh Shiznot. And the only firey I can talk about is myself anyway...But...I do staff, not into poi much, and if there was a long glowstaff I would defintely go for it if fre wasn't available.But when fire is, fire it shall be.------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
yeah, I just went out the other day to gather some materials for my new fire poi. I can't wait for the spring to come for me to light them.Matt------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
light em now dood grin

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Shitnot, I think I would have to at least partially agree with you, but in the same respect, I think that you are partially wrong. Not everyone feels that way, but I believe that in some peoples heads, the debate is partially based off of that. I'm not geting defensive here. To each, their own. Some people out there only see the bad in something, and then make it a point to try to distance themselves from association with it.Me personally, I don't know why there is a debate in the first place. Two sides of the same coin. The style and grace and movement does not lie in the source of light. It lies in the person in the middle. Neither one is anything more than the other. It kind of seems like the Dr. Seuss book, where the two tribes fight over "buttering their bread butter side up, or butter side down." Who cares. If you like it with fire, great! If you like it with glowies, wonderful! If you like spinning rotten friut, fan-freakin-tastic! The whole point is that you are spinning.I am a "raver" and I learned with glowsticks. I can flow to the rhythm in my soul to glowsticks, and I can dance like son-of-a-bitch with fire. And either or. I can do every single wrap and lick with fire that I can do with glowies, and don't fear or find a difference between either one. The spirituality comes from within. I know good and well that there are minor differences in performance of the two, but if you were suddenly struck deaf and blind, would you still say that fire was better? Close your eyes, and spin to whatever your mind feels like. With whatever you feel like. For the ones who say that "ravers" only do it to draw attention, why do you consider yourself a "performer" then? Hmm? You only do it by yourself for the sheer enjoyment of it? Hey! Me too some times! But if you are alone, why would you *only* use fire? Why would it really matter? You can't really see yourself. It is all what you feel inside, right? To be perfectly clear on this, I enjoy fire very much. It is a beautiful spectacle to behold. But unless I am performing for someone else's benefit, I am perfectly content to spin anything I can get my hands on.The emotions behind your preference of spinning fire are *your* thoughts. They are your way of doing things. There is no debate over one versus the other. Everybody has their own style. "If everybody looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each other." If someone never touches fire, they can still be the best, most graceful, most masterful spinner in the world just by having the passion for it. Everyone finds value in different things. Some find value in nothing, and some find it in everything. But it is up to them. Preferences are a very intimately personal thing. They are yours to form and yours to change at will. But, regardless, they are yours. The point is moot. Do what makes you feel good. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. ------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
I think that glowsticks are better to start of with, but as you progress, you should develop your skills with both. This july i am going to try fire for the fisrt time, to celebrate almost a year of spinning without serious injury (point for glowsticks!).------------------Just a Thought... Ignore it if you wish...

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
well, how can you say something is better, if you have never tried anything else? I have been spinning about 9 months. I lit up for the 1st time after 2. I have not had a serious injury.(period) but the minor injurys have all come from sticks. Even seeing flaming poi accedents, no one was injured, not even light burns.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
And if you need more weight, add more glowsticks to the end of the chain/rope/shoelace. That's not an excuse.------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
FIRE FIRE FIRE!!! when performing, glowsticks are only a substitute, for indoor use only. I wouldn't be caught dead using glowsticks outdoors when fire would be available to perform with.Fire doesn't give me the same rush that it used to frown I used to get so high off of the endorphines and adrenaline that I would be running around talking like a madman at 100 miles per hour grin , trippin my balls off. But now I barely notice the rush (oh, it is still there, just not nearly as noticable wink ) As to when I am watching other people, I think it is hard to compare glowsticks and fire, they are totaly different. The glowsticks are trippy because they leave tracers, the fire is sexy because...well if you don't know why it just wouldn't do any good to tell you...Ok I'll tell you...It doesn't matter if a fly babe is simply doing a three beat weave, she is, at that moment, the sexyest and most hypnotic being on earth! grinI can do every move with fire that i can do with glowsticks, I have even learned to wrap with fire on BARE SKIN and not get burned. So I don't realy think there is much of a difference in styles for myself. As for personal enjoyment, I used to twirl fire for the wicked high it gave me, but now I just twirl dead glowsticks or tennis balls. It is in the movement and flow that I find myself enjoying, not in watching the preaty light move around (heck, I cant see what I look like twirling, I'm inside the sphere, and cameras just don't do twirling justice) I twirl fire when other people ask me to, it is for them. When I do it for myself, tennis balls are fine. [This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 01 March 2002).]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I started using glowsticks before I even heard of Poi, never had heard of the Maori, never even thought of setting anything on Fire before I came to this site.I recieved my Fire poi today, (damn their frikin' huge to what I had in my mind). And I can't light them until my dad comes home (March 8th or so), but the deal with my mom was to get good enough with glowsticks, then buy a set of practice poi, practice with that for a few months, then if I got good enough grades, buy a set of Fire poi.I remain a strong glowstick user at night in the front yard, will practice Fire poi in the backyard and when it's cold outside, I'll go into the garrage and use glowsticks or the practice poi.My final verduct is:Glowsticks can be used anywhere but you get considered a "raver" or "cluber"Poi with comets can be used /anywhere/ without the accusation that you're either a raver or cluber but they don't glow. Fire is looked on (in my opinion) as a sign of supiriority and you use it to release your inner self (which you can do with both, but I guess easier with Fire) but you can't do it anywhere .Kinudin

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
people are still arguing about this?I thought it was settled. Fire and glow suckass, stuffed animal pigs were the way to go! smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, over time I have actually come to love many forms of spinning and so have a slightly different attitude. I have preferences for different times but I will not get into that...however, in addition to the stuffed pigs wink, the glowsticks, the beaming poi, the fire, the comets(tennis ball version), there are also LED glo poi, the Photon poi, the Buzz (bean bags).....the list goes on and on.I feel that all have their appropriate place and that none of them are better..want to know why?You all do the same thing with them..Spin, dance and let go.So, let's look at it this way.. saying that it is all about the medium... a painter puts his paint on his pallette and says "there, that is my painting". No, that's paint in globs. Painting is what you do with the globs.Glowsticks and fire are not spinning, they are a medium. Some people prefer water colors (glowsticks), others oil (fire), but there are also acrylics(comets) and blood base (definatley beaming poi!) and many other paints out there...either way it is up to the artists to create the masterpiece, not the paint.Grace comes from the spinner. The moves and emotion come from the spinner. Each spinner has his/her own preference for various reasons, that is his or her opinion, but if they are good then they make magic with those tools and if they suck, they make bruises wink. It is all in the motion and not in the material. In saying one is better than another it could be concluded that someone who spins soup cans in socks could be the best spinner on earth but may not be recognised for it because he is not spinning stix or fire? I think he would be acknowledged on his skill, and maybe applauded for inventiveness, or at very least courage. In the end the debate is moot, becuase it is all subjective, so do what *you* love and go paint the sky!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Pele? shocked Did you read my post??? confused Or do great minds just think alike? winkIt's good to see that people have formed more understanding opinions since this summer. smile------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
well, i myself am a fire spinner. as a matter of fact that is my current employment. but the way i see it...there are pros and cons to both fire and stix. like fire...it is 100 times more dangerous and it is hard to find somewhere that it is legal. as for stix, you get stereotyped into this club image and it is alot less challenging( to me anyway) than working fire. but the way i see it is that in the end...what does it matter? to each his (or her) own i say. if you like fire....use it. if you perfer stix...use those. it is pointless to keep arguing about it. we should use eachother as inspiration and as our teachers instead of fighting over a matter of opinion. but then again...thats just me.jokker( i am not sure who posted it...but i have tried using maces before...they're a friggin blast to work with)------------------'' not all who wander are lost'' J.R.R. Tolkien'' its better to burn out...then to fade away'' Def Leppard

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
oh yeah...and to josh...i used to have a problem with a quick burn out when i spun fast with fire poi....but recently i obtained a set of meteors that were wicked in a catherdral style instead of my average wrap around style. now i am the fastest fire poi spinner i have ever( im sure i am no where near the fastest but i am kinda one in a few thousand around where i live) met and constantly broke the 18 gauge chain on my poi (note: this is a special type of chain specialy made so it wont tangle when my poi wrap...its called box chain made by one of my co-workers..not average chain.) but then i had a set of 14 gauge poi made and i even broke the chain on those while training for a show. but once i got a set of poi that were catherdral wicked...i spun as fast as i could and they didnt burn out.....just tryin ta helpjokker------------------'' not all who wander are lost'' J.R.R. Tolkien'' its better to burn out...then to fade away'' Def Leppard

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Unicorn - I don't think we're really arguing more on the side of discussing different pro's and con's to either activity.Kinudin

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Here is a blast from the past topic that was notoriously argued about when this board first started. I wondered what the new people had to add on the subject and wonder if any of the older people have changed their opinions?

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
far out look at the list of posters ubbcrying

I still love fire, glow and ribbon

above all else - poi is still FUN eek ubblove ubbrollsmile

no - scratch that, it's actually MORE fun than ever

Page: