Forums > Social Chat > With Fire or with Out Fire

Login/Join to Participate

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
When you use Fire what do you find so amazing about it, Is there anything you prefer more with out fire? Just practice ends or streamers or Kite, Or maybe even glowsticks that you find better.I Think I enjoy Poi the best with just my practice ends. trying to get a new move down, and phasing out . Meditative. It seems like a huge release to me.How ever when I was using the fire tonight I was on top of wet black pavement, and I saw the reflection of the flame below me. It seemed powerful, and even more amazing to control it. I was doing corkscrew to keep the flame horizontal so I could watch it.What do you all think As much as we like fire, Is there a time when it's better with out?~spryte~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Fire for me, is more of a thrill...If I want to get a new move down, or just phase out, I prefer my comets.I really like the effect of UV comets under strong UV light...Glowsticks for me come third. sure they are fast, but I like listening to the fluttering noise my comets make, and besides, I can use my comets over and over, without generating a pile of used glowsticks...Josh

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I love normal poi but I love fire aswell. It depends what kind of mood you are in. The noise fire makes and the heat add to the thrill but the quietness bag poi make them a great hangover cure ha ha. Glow sticks are cool aswell but you need to be in a Trancy mood to appreciate them the most.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
For me, fire works on so many levels...It's multi-sensual! (is that a word?)The sound it makes as it wooshes past my head.The smell of the kero as it burns.The intense heat as the poi move around my body.The adrenalin pumping through my veins.Mmmmmmm...... fire!I love my comet poi too. They sound awesome and they look great under uv, but they're just not as cool.Glow sticks.. they look great, but for me, well, they don't have the same magic that fire does.Finn
Non-Https Image Link
[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 05 February 2001).]

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Well like I said earlier, i lit up for the first time last night and it was an awsome experiance, but it was also enough to know that i'm not ready to do it again for a while. But the noise and fire was something else, i think i'm hooked. I've never used glow sticks,but i love just playing with my poi's.Take it easy guys.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
fire fire fire! I practically lust after the fire. I'm not a pyromaniac nor an arsenist, but add fire to the mix and the experience turns Elemental, Spiritual and Powerful. Dancing with fire touches my spirit. I feel enlightened (pardon the pun) and infused with energy after a burn. My eyes sparkle, my skin glows and my smile is genuine.My flames are kindred.flash fire------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Alexlexexmember
24 posts

Posted:
Fire poi gives you the rush tennis balls don't =)When swinning fire you dont care about whats around you but only about the fire. Its a good feeling to be one with the fire hehe ------------------NY Firebats"A shirt that is soaked in fuel burns very nicely." - Not By Me[This message has been edited by Alexlexex (edited 06 February 2001).]

NY FirebatsA shirt that is soaked in fuel burns very nicely. - Not By Me

Flaming Petemember

Posted:
I only spin a staff but I think that adding fire into your dancing adds a power that nothing else can give you. When you can't see the staff at night and all you see is the two flames it is just like you are controlling these two remote objects orbiting your body. I can still meditate and phase out when spinning without flames but the fire just adds the final touch. smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I love swinging for the exercise, the meditation, the introspection, the stress management, the clarity and focus it affords me in other areas of my life...that is with or without fire.With fire though there is this sensuality. The warmth of the flame near my body, the sound of it rushing past creating music with the beating of my heart, the way everything beyond the light disappears and you create this little suspended world of your own where only you exsist. The hypnotic way it moves and flows. The almost dangererous aspects. The feeling of having the slightest semblence of control over something that can destroy you in a breath. The tired achey yet adrenaline fed exhilarated feeling when it is all said and done. The gasps of awe and the roar of applause when in front of someone or the wakening to a world with a fresh perspective when alone and the firey curtain drops.To me that is the allure of spinning and of fire. Then again, it is only my opinion.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
My goodness, Pele, so elequently said! I'd say my opinion is very similar. Theres something magical about the fire... for new moves or a lucky daytime workout, I'll use my softish (rolled up socks) practise poi, and plexiglass tube devil sticks/staff (which fit glo necklaces, incase I'm indoors, or in a fire restricted space (heavens forbid!)). I do try to do nonfire practise with my fire staff because of the weight diff. between it and the plexiglass, but I dont like to do too much non fire practise with my fire staff because I drop it a fair bit and dont want to reck the heads. Happy Swingin'! Fairie firebell

Fairie's wear boots.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Pele, I love how you write about spinning! I get such an immediate sense of what fire is to you. Hmmmm. I have to say that I started spinning to spin fire. When I started, I had no idea that anyone spun *without* fire. After the time I've spent working unlit on the skills necessary to spin fire, I've come to appreciate spinning for it's own sake. Like Pele said, the places you go with it can be the same. Diana

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
fire poi is pretty wicked as it looks real death defying (do you remember where you saw your first fire poi performer?)Its pretty cool to do as the noise of the flames whooshing past your head gives you an energy rush (and so to does the burnage factor)!.....shame about the smelly black hands though!I practice poi with kites on as they are very graceful and nice on wet days when you can't be arsed dealing with the fire brigade once more.............but perhaps beaming poi/lightsticks are the way forward?! Whats the verdict?

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
I haven't ventured to play with fire yet, but i know glowsticks can be lots of fun. The biggest advantage/disadvantage [depending on how you look at it] is how fast glowsticks can go, which is REALLY FAST, much faster than fire poi, comet, or even tennis balls for that matter. They're aerodynamic "sticks" so very little resistance, light, but since they're fast, they smart quite a bit, but don't do as much damage as say beaming poi would.that's all i have to say 'bout that------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff