Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Curious as to what people think of reclaimed/recycled water, for drinking or for non-drinking usages. Thoughts? Fears? What you'd want to know more about, etc.

Starting with good ol Wikipedia
Rouse Hill, NSW. Uses a dual pipe system. (probably start here if you're completely lost and have no idea what is going on)
Emotional concerns about recycled water re-entering the grid (ie: to be used to drinking) (The man who wrote that blog has lots of points about the science behind it)
Something a bit more anthropological in terms of breakdowns of concerns

I realise that only covers Australia, but I don't want to overload people with too much (I also haven't included the hardcore sciencey breakdowns of water either for the same reason). There are a number of counties in the US which use the technology as well as some other countries. You can find their info on Google.

Just want to say now that I won't be giving any opinion at all on this, I'm just curious to see what people bring up and ask and wonder etc. I do have a ridiculous amount of stuff to read on it though, so I can provide directions as to where to look (mostly about Australia).

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I like how your link is titled "emotional concerns about recycled water" rather than logical concerns, it suggests paranoia about water treatment. I'm pretty sure a lot of water people drink is recycled in soome form or another. I remember at school when a teacher asked about drinking water from a pure alpin stream someone said - "I wouldn't drink it, a sheep could have died upriver" laugh3 It amazed me how paranoid people can be about what the consume when most of what they eat is terrible for them anyway.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I heard that the water you just drank, has been drunk by 5 people before you.

I'm now trying to cut other people out entirely, so I just wee into a bottle and put it in the fridge straight away.
If I need a cup of tea, I can guarantee that I am the only person who has drunk that water before.

Just a small helpful tip I'd like to share with you all. smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
tested in space stations wink

see... I would reckon that a lot of drinking water (reverse osmosis, UV treated.... name it) in a number of countries actually comes from heavily polluted sources.

Reason being that this water is quite cheap and the companies would have to run it through the same process anyway.

For me it is quite clear: I rather opt for natural/ mineral water.

Can't stand the taste of drinking water and am observing a "dry mouth syndrome" after its consumption...

but hey: if it's the last option, I will drink it.

Maybe I will live to the time where such natural (mineral) water becomes really precious...

eeeek!

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Well given the river system we drink from here in Adelaide has waste water put into it by towns all along its banks upstream - technically we are drinking recycled water already and it hasnt done us any harm. Just look at BrettStar for an example of a normal Adelaidian!
crazy

wink

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=32850

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

St0rMySILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
i dont see a problem with it the gov. wouldnt allow it to be done if it wasnt healthy its just another way to conserve nothing wrong with that in my eyes

We're addicted to planes, trains and automobiles
We're addicted to addiction
We dig livin in fiction
For money, power, respect, the Army's got to go kill
They're all under contract so let the blood spill

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
::puts on best redneck accent:: That's why I only drink Mountain Dew, it's a real man's drink! tongue2

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: StOrMyi dont see a problem with it the gov. wouldnt allow it to be done if it wasnt healthy its just another way to conserve nothing wrong with that in my eyes

like they permitted this stuff at first? wink

only because a government didn't prohibit it, doesn't automatically mean that it is healthy....

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MynciI like how your link is titled "emotional concerns about recycled water" rather than logical concerns, it suggests paranoia about water treatment. I'm pretty sure a lot of water people drink is recycled in soome form or another. I remember at school when a teacher asked about drinking water from a pure alpin stream someone said - "I wouldn't drink it, a sheep could have died upriver" laugh3 It amazed me how paranoid people can be about what the consume when most of what they eat is terrible for them anyway.

Good post there Mynci

The science regarding recycled water is sound ,Leaving only the emotional impact up for discussion. Chemically speaking water is water, plain and simple, your body doesn't "care" where it came from, only what's in it.

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Also, if I remember my basic science/geography right, isn't all water recycled anyway naturally? tongue2 Water Cycle and all that

Just a dancer in the dark

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Exactly. There's very little new water created each year, virtually every drop has been squirted out the backsides of a million organisms on its way to us.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I do wonder where that "new water" would be created from.... wink

However I do feel that quite often the technological advances are either hailed or condemned beyond reason.

If water would not be polluted to such a high degree, its technological recycling would not be necessary to start with. Much like: "you don't need to fix it, unless you break it in the first place."

Sure we're facing the following facts

a) all water is getting recycled and filtered by natural processes
b) technology can copy the process of water filtration and speed it up significantly
c) most technological processes are quite recent (especially when compared to those of nature)
d) we can't really draw from long term experiences in those regards

(IMO) water recycling is necessary (unfortunately) and a positive development (especially for areas with water shortage and heavy pollution) - BUT focus should be on preventing water to get polluted FIRST.

My advice: Next time you're on your way to the mountains, take two bottles of cheap drinking water with you... one full one empty. Near any water source, fill the empty bottle and then have someone shuffle the bottles. Make sure both have the same temperature and try for yourself.

I would predict that (unless you're a smoker) you will be able to tell the two apart...

There is no conclusion for me really, but I'm mostly choosing (untreated) natural mineral water over any treated drinking water whenever reasonable.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Tom, I agree it's better to not need this technology in the first place but it does solve water issues in places that are prone to drought or don't have enough fresh water to support their population in the first place, like the Middle East.

Essentially this is desalination technology with the bonus of being applicable to polluted water. I watched a show on Discovery channel that featured the Canadian military's portable reverse osmosis plants that were designed to be air lifted into disaster areas to create drinking water from whatever source was available on the ground. It looked good on TV but I don't know how well it works IRL.

I agree on the taste issue. ideally pure water has no taste at all and what you are tasting is the minerals, or impurities in the natural source.

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
Power plants generally get their make-up water from a water source they're next to. For example, DC Cook has a massive anion/cation system that can knock Lake Michigan water down to the point where it's so pure that it's not recommended you drink it (or so I was told by a plant operator). The system literally outputs H2O, little to no impurities, which is necessary when you're dealing with reactors or high pressure steam systems.

So theoretically you could use this system to purify recycled water, if it was after a bunch of sand and charcoal filters, but I guess the discussion becomes how pure you want it and how much money you're willing to spend.

Happiness is a skill, not a commodity
I have been kidnapped by hooping.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Stout I absolutely agree with you: the technology is fantastic in places that (naturally) have little access to clean drinking water and will sustain/ promote population growth in areas that naturally would prevent it...

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SeasprayAlso, if I remember my basic science/geography right, isn't all water recycled anyway naturally? tongue2 Water Cycle and all that

Yep, at one time it was all dinosaur pee, or summat.

So long as it's clean when I drink it I don't care what filters it's been through though I'll take the minimum environmental impact option when available.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom

For me it is quite clear: I rather opt for natural/ mineral water.

If you mean bottled water - isn't that a terrible environmental burden for something that is essentially exactly the same? plastic bottles, heavy industrial processes that require fossil fuel energy, international transport all for the sake of a slightly different taste?

Effects of bottled water

Isn't most water natural even if it's been recycled wink I feel places with no water are natures way of telling people not to live there, even animals aren't stupid enough to keep a home where there's no water, they migrate, we've got in the bad habit of setting down roots and staying even when there's no further point... mostly because we've got nowhere left to go.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
as such, mankind seems to be a terrible burden for the environment entirely... let's get rid of 'em wink

on a more 'serious' note: plastic (bottles) can well be recycled - only need to implement the necessary environment (collection, transportation and recycling plants)... Maybe glass bottles would be the better alternative and/or to force the industry to recycle bottles. Systems like that got implemented in Germany long time ago

see container deposit legislation and overall recycling program in Germany - not saying that all is shiny and perfect there...

Back on topic: water undergoes a very long natural recycling process... I'm not sure how long it actually takes for it to get peed onto some tree trunk and ending up in your tap - but it's a long process.

I fully understand resentments towards water recycling for human consumption. KNOWINGLY consuming excrements might lead to serious health issues in the long run. Maybe it's a psychological issue altogether.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomI fully understand resentments towards water recycling for human consumption. KNOWINGLY consuming excrements might lead to serious health issues in the long run. Maybe it's a psychological issue altogether.

Are you suggesting that the psychological aspects of it could lead to psychosomatic symptoms?

Or are you meaning something else?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yes and I'm certain it will.

KNOWINGLY consuming anything that one believes is hazardous to her/his body will have negative impact and lead to (psychosomatic) symptoms.

apart from chocolate mousse that is, but definitely applicable to vegemite sandwiches wink

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Vegemite is not hazardous to the body so not applicable at all tongue2