AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
I'm new to HoP.

I have been spinning for a little over a year now.

I alway spin alone. I do not know any other Poi spinner.

I am getting discouraged because there is only so much enthusiasm I can put into learning this art all alone and completely based off viral videos from the internet.

Please understand, Poi is sooo important to me, and it hurts me to feel like I am stuck without much improvment for the last few months.

I'm hoping to get lots and lots of critique here... because I dont have anyone around to let me know what Im doing right, what I am doing wrong, and what I need improvment on..

Also, I understand everyone adopts their own style of poi, so let me know some of your special little tips and tricks to help me along my path.

Here it is: my latest video, 5 different locations in Eugene on one boring night last week.
(my next one wont be a collab.. doesnt help me too much to edit out some of the bad stuff.)

OR try this link:

EDITED_BY: Ande (1262129569)

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
it looks like spinning alone is working for you, bro! i know that's not the response you were looking for, but you have a distinct style and i like it. your butterflies converge at about 15-20 degrees off center - i don't know if that's intentional, but i like it - particularly when you are sort of isolating them.

if you are finding your skills/ideas have plateaued, start saving money now to go to Fire Drums in the spring. i haven't been to fire drums, but i've been to wildfire (which is a similar thing, but much smaller and on the east coast), and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. it sounds like exactly what you need if you are feeling lonely with poi.

as far as tips and tricks, i'm sure a lot of people will tell you this, but the two biggest things that have helped me (besides going to wildfire) are:
1. practice in front of a mirror.
2. take notes.

the only further advice i can think of would really just guide you toward spinning like other people and i don't necessarily think that's a good thing.

and hey, if you can't find other poi spinners in your area, make them! get your friends, your family, your schoolmates, your coworkers, etc to try it out. start them off with the scales of poi (4 basic timings/directions) or whatever you started with. maybe you can be the zygote of a eugene poi conclave that will be the next great innovators of poi!

finally - this is unrelated to poi - but i think you meant "compilation" instead of "collaboration."

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
Yea thats a great Idea with the mirror. I've never actually seen myself spin other than in video. And I suppose you're right Compilation is the word I was looking for! :-)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
No one is spinning in Eugene? Wow, that's really surprising given what I remember of the town. I hope HoP can help! (Yeah. Check that alliteration...)

But probably you should just move to somewhere with crazy tons of spinners like Seattle. But then, trying to convince people to move to Seattle is like half of what I do online...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
have you tried using HoP's people search for your area? I didn't find anyone in my town, but I did find people within about a half hour to 45 minutes of me at the closest, which is still pretty far, but I could meet up with a couple people every once in a while. I think I'll contact a couple this summer.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Edit: For some reason my computer decided to tell the website to post my post twice.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262488468)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
good advice all round!

where i live there are few spinners at hand too, but i do get to juggling conventions from time to time and it is a great way to re-kindle your interest in it. any manipulationy-type festival will...
poi is very learnable on your own, if you can keep the interest, but seeing others spin in person will help you in lots of ways and probably speed things along.
apart from that, i can only suggest working on new things that will absorb you and and get you feeling like a noob again grin

upward stalls
pendulums
anti-spin

i dont think i saw any of those in there...that should keep you busy till the next spinfest!
you'll learn things about timing, learning these, that you wont learn any other way.

( shocked ooo mysterious! now read that last sentence in Alan Rickman's voice...)

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Pendulums are by far my favorite thing to play with right now, and besides their esthetic benefits a) they're a type of stall and can be used accordingly, b) learning to control their rhythm gives you a lot of rhythm control devices generally. They're much cooler and versatile than you may think. See videos of Ronan McLoughlin for good examples of awesome pendulum work.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'd say you need to clean up your flowers a little - practising arm positions without poi would help that. Also maybe try looking at your stance and footwork when you spin - I sometimes find that helps tidy everything up a little.

It's a bit hard to comment on fire vids as they're so dark, daylight ones are much easier usually.

Also I find when I plateau in a prop I like to move onto another prop or just really hammer anything I can do which is sketchy.

anyway, good work, keep it up smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Nice vid. Looks pretty good to me. Do you know a Gyorgy (pronounced "George") Simon by chance? He moved out there recently and might be interested in starting if you want someone to spin with. Just a thought.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

kstateskydiverstranger
6 posts

Posted:
I can't give you advise but I want to thank you. I just started at christmas and I to, am learning alone and from videos as well. Thank you for being awesome and showing me that it is possible to learn alone!! keep it up!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well if it is any help what you have posted has inspired me cuz there are only 3 other people where i live that spin poi and they are not good at explaining and i learn better by myself at this current time and i only started in august i should be in the collab video that will be posted soon

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

steven_mayerGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
hell ya, mirrors shadows, are great, take advantage of the platto*, youll run into them all the time, use that time to really perfect the ideas u have down.... getting everything just right will let your mind relax and soon enough u will fall in to somthing new smile keep spinning bro, thats not bad at all for a year

youtube.com/sirspinalot420