Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the all-new, shiny thread for fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts anywhere in Ireland.

Our community started coming together a few years ago, and it's grown to include people from all over the country...

If you are new to poi or staff or spinning stuff and want to meet up with any of the Irish spinners, please post in this thread, introduce yourself and feel free to come along to the workshops, gatherings or events that get talked about.

Also, if you'd like to be on my mailing list for fire gatherings and other juggling events, please PM me your email address and I'll add it. The fire gathering takes place fortnightly in Belfast, but it's one way to keep in touch with everyone.

So welcome, and hope to see you soon wave

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

I run a poi workshop for the Crescent Arts Centre (now housed in City Church, Holylands - opposite the Spar), featuring occasional special guests when they visit… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly/Scratch bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £5 per week.

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet.

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

(PS:

DIT will meet...

24th September - 5th December 2007

28th January - 14th March 2008

31st March - 25th April 2008)

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

British Juggling Convention (April)

UberParis (June)

Play (July)

EJC (July)

Falmouth (September)

Clonakilty JC (September)

Bristol (September)

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

biggrin

weavesmiley

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1213212737)

Getting to the other side smile

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Hya all.
I'm looking for somone to allay my concerns about flying to Ireland with my staff.
I have a semi-hard leather case for it. (ooh err) and it's suffering a little seepage at the moment (double ooh err) so the leather is getting darker in a sort of wet patch around it's bottom. (I give up)
I have booked it in as "skiing equipment" on the Ryan air flight, but don't want to get it refused on the flight as "flammable stuff".
I plan on wrapping the staff ends in plastic, but the case is still gonna look a bit parraffiny.
What should I do? What have you done to transport staffs/ firetoys in the past?
Thanks,
AB.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Burn off all fuel on your staff by letting the staff burn without spinning until it goes out naturally. Yes, i know it's not good for the kevlar, but you need to remove as much parafin smell as possible. Last time I flew with my poi, I also cleaned the wicks off with baby wipes, removing any soot, and again, getting rid of some of the smell. I didn't notice any problem with the lifespan of the wicks afterwards. Definately wrap the wicks well in plastic.

In terms of your case - can you get it cleaned somehow? Or put it and your staff in a document tube (if it'll fit) - the plastic telescoping ones are quite cool, and should keep any smells in. Airport security are used to seeing these, so they don't look on them as all that strange. Search for other threads on this topic, and you'll find other advice. Irish airport security is much the same as any other airport security, I'm not aware of it being any more or less strict than anywhere else.

Basically, try to get rid of any and all parafin, so that you can look them in the eye, and tell them truthfully that it's not flammable.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

jessfaerieSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
beeeeeeeeeeeeep.

ok, i know its ages away still (well, depends how you look at it!) but ill be in dublin on the 17th july till around the 23rd then back on the 2nd august till whenever. so if theres any sort of firey gathering during that time i would love to come!! (provided i can get my grubby paws on a staff for the evening cool ) or alternatively, if anyone wants to meet up for a pint or whatever id be definitely up for it!

hope to hear from you all!

"...life is like John Howard- too short to waste time worrying..."

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Well well well!! Had the most fun ever at life-festival, met loads n loads of cool firey heads, fu*kin unreal, plenty of trippy hippys and lots of psy-trance peeps!! Totally chilled festival, evry1 at it was lovely......missing the vibe already....boooo

Seen some chick using a fire hula hoop, and OMFG, it was class, never seen a girls hips move in such a way before!! Very very hot!!

Also some dude from galway i think using poi was quite good, doin all those concentric circles, tangles and stuff, well cool!!

Big up to all the firey heads!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Sounds like Amelie with the hoop...

And... hmm... could be a few people with the poi... Eimhin? Aengus?

Glad you all had a good time smile

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Whoever she was, she was daaaaaammn good!! Amazing like, great stuff!! Still buzzin from the whole thing, grrrreat festival!! wow grouphug ubbloco beerchug hehe ubbtickled smile biggrin cool

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
I know Marion was diong hoop at Life too so it could have been her also...hrmmmm...must ask her

You my friend, i will defend and if we change, well i'll love you anyway

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Tell her I Love HER!!! wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yup, and Cameron and Clare were there, so it might of been either of them doing poi or hoop too smile

If it was the girl in the black and orange costume, that was amelie.

What a lovely festival, we had a great time. Though saturday daytime is more of a giggly blur than anything else.

Love is the law.

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

What a lovely festival, we had a great time. Though saturday daytime is more of a giggly blur than anything else.

LOL ubblol Same buzz as me man, great time.

Any1 know of any other festivals round Europe, UK, similar to Life?? Be well up for goin to a festival like that again, the psy-trance was wkd?!?!

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
hey all,

Just letting you know that the solstice fire gathering is still on tonight up at Tara, with celebrations continuing over the weekend. Don't let the rain put you off, it's going to be great. bring waterproof clothes, tent, food etc. and I'll see you there tonight.

Mairead.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Hey Guys and Gals

Im happy to announce (quite late) that the galway juggling convention will take place on the 29th of June to the 1st of July

Venue is the Rowing Club.

If everybody could prey for lovely weather, that would be great.

Apologies for the the late notice. This is due to great slackness and general busyiness.

a

any more info on this? wondering about charges etc? i prob wont make it down til the sat morning - does it continue on to monday or what? (first galway convention for me)

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
 Written by: french23

hey all,

Just letting you know that the solstice fire gathering is still on tonight up at Tara, with celebrations continuing over the weekend. Don't let the rain put you off, it's going to be great. bring waterproof clothes, tent, food etc. and I'll see you there tonight.

Mairead.

Hey, how did the shizzle go down last nite?? Is there gonna br anything happenin tonight do you reckon? Had to work today so couldnt make it to Tara last niye....boooo ubbrollsmile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey guys

Quick update

The convention will start on friday evening with a bit of firespinning/juggling in the Cottage Bar, 76 Salthill Lr Galway. If you head out Father Griffen road on the map above. Hang a left at the lights after the Supervalue and then another left at the next lights. Its a few hundred meters up that road.. Theres a lovely big grassy area out the back and of course theres pints. After the bar closes I recon a beach party is the way to go. We are collecting volunteers for the picking up of pallets and other wooden objects for keeping the jugglers warm. With a bit of luck we'll have some drummers too.

ALL of the hostels are booked out guys. We are offering out our back garden for camping if anybody is up for it (you can also camp in salthill of the claddagh but the are far away and dodgy as hell respectivley). The price is five bucks a night and for that you'll get a kitchen and a hot shower if you quick enough. Theres also a huge juggling room and 14 ft trampoline.

SATURDAY 10am. Ready Steady Juggle. Tickets €15

Jamborie will be in attendance.

All the best

a and a

Love is the law.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
uhoh... time to try somewhere to stay frown if possible can i borrow space in teh garden for one tent?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Of course, we have room for about 10 to 15 tents. Its beside the beach and is very nice indeed.

The renegade will be held in The Cottage Bar on Saturday night.

We'll make up a time during the week and let you know wink

Love is the law.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Well lads and ladies the solstice up in Tara was a great night, T9 you would have loved it, it pretty much did turn into a free party with a hugh marquee and great sounds. It wasn't the celebration that was originally envisaged but it went really well, there was no trouble and the protesters had a brilliant time.

Hugz,
Mairead.

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
 Written by: french23

Well lads and ladies the solstice up in Tara was a great night, T9 you would have loved it, it pretty much did turn into a free party with a hugh marquee and great sounds. It wasn't the celebration that was originally envisaged but it went really well, there was no trouble and the protesters had a brilliant time.

Hugz,
Mairead.

HAHA, are u Effin serious!!! Aw if only i hadda got off my ass and came down. Cool cool, happy it went well. Think one of my mates is camping out on the hill now!! MaD bAs*aRdS biggrin

Big ups to all involved!! ubbrollsmile

So hows progress with the actual protest, gettin anywhere with it??

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... I know some of the protestors actually avoided the hill because of the marquee, music and huge number of people.

shrug

Oh well...

glad you'se enjoyed it anyways

smile

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

Hmmm... I know some of the protestors actually avoided the hill because of the marquee, music and huge number of people.

shrug

Oh well...

glad you'se enjoyed it anyways

smile

HAHA!!! ubblol Ur not happy so!!!

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
All of the protesters I know were dancing their asses off in the dance tent but yeah some of the protesters with children stayed down in the family area where there was singing etc. so everyone had a good time anyway. The protest is still going strong, the building work is being seriously hampered by the protesters so it's going well, it's an uphill struggle though.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
 Written by: t04201901

HAHA!!! ubblol Ur not happy so!!!

Wtf?

frown

Anyhoo... the protesters I know didn't have kids... but clearly it doesn't matter as long as people who were just up for the weekend had a good time...

shrug

But yep, they've been doing loads of good work biggrin

Stopped building for 6 weeks and counting, I hear smile
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1182804592)

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Actually it wasn't just the people who where up for the weekend who had fun, the protesters that have been living there non-stop since last solstice, namely Debbie, Dan, Dunna, Sennin and Tara (amongst others) had a brilliant time, some of the protesters have been coming up just at the weekend (which is brilliant too), but those 5 particularly are the ones that were in serious need of fun (both Tara and Dunna have been physically attacked during prtotests) and FUN is what they had. The solstice was for everyone and everyone was catered for, there was dance music yes but there was also singing and family fun too, the protesters are there for everyone, because Tara is for everyone, not just one particular group. Nothing was damaged and there were no fights and EVERYONE I spoke to had a great time. Maybe if the people you're talking about had gone with the flow and went up to the party they would have had fun too. I think the main thing is that alot of people visited and saw what the protesters are trying to protect. It may not have been what some people envisaged (including myself) but you can't try to control people and the way they have fun, especially in a place like Tara.

Hugz,

Mairead.

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

Wtf?

Oh sorry, i must have misread ur previous post.....it seemed like u were trying to get a little dig in there, with the remark "I know some people who actually avoided blah blah blah"

Just thought it was funny....

Yo Mairead, one of my mates goes down at the wkend, names Donal, he drives a wkd orange van, do ya know him?? Hes from Ardee?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I've a few other things to think about other than 'getting a dig in' about parties on Tara, to be fair.

I have no problems with people enjoying the space as they see fit... but perhaps you could also be open to the idea that some people see Tara as something else.

shrug

(PS: Mairead... if you're seeing Dunna again... (if it's the same one... beautiful soul, from Dunderry?)... bring him love and light from me...)

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
The Dunna I know isn't from Dunderry Clare but if I come across your one I will of course give him your love, and T04 the orange van rings a bell, probably have met Donal but don't know his name, you should go up to Tara with your friends next time they're going, it's quite an experience.

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i have been meaning to, i'm just so lazy at times!! Might bust up this wkend for a laugh!! Next time, theres a gathering thingy, i'll definately sort my life and go.......do you know if there'll be another gathering anytime soon??

Aw its cool that u know Donals van.....its the coolest feckin van ever!!! Bright orange like, how groovy is that!! I shall ask if he knows ya too....

Holla!!!

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
I'll let you know next time a gathering is organised, might be a while though, I'm getting laser eye surgery this coming weekend eek ubbcrying, which I'm dead scared about, then it's oxygen the following weekend, then it's Tullamore for the Phoenix Festival, then it's a relaxing (maybe) weekend in Wexford, then it's the EJC baby YEAH!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOO exciting times I'm having I must say, after that probably will organise something for TARA, I'll let you know.

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Good luck with the surgery. I have to go in for that in a year or two myself. Hope it goes well for you.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

t04201901BRONZE Member
79 posts

Posted:
Yeah my mates dad got it done there recently enough, didnt really say much about the pain, but he just couldnt believe how good the surgery worked. Wore glasses all his life, now he can see perfectly....

Mantua Project festvial in Roscommon, think its the 13/14 of July......another good festival comin up if any1 is up for it, really lookin forward to this one!!

www.mantuaproject.com

Holla ubbloco

Page: ......