Forums > Social Discussion > The 2008 Presidential Debates

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Did anyone want to talk about them?

Or have we all agreed that McCain is a reckless moron?

What I don't get is how any thinking, educated adult can hold the set of beliefs that he does.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
The perception from the Beeb was that McCain was direct, concise and a bit punchy, whereas Obama was a bit indirect and rambling (bringing up alternative energy ides when discussingwhat to do about Russia; we see what you're getting at but now isn't the time...).

I hope Obama doesn't suffer from the same 'guy I'd like to have a beer with' rubbish that cost Gore.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
didnt see them. i think it was damn inconsiderate for them to hold their debate on the same day as the football grand final. they'll definitely be missing out from the Australian vote tongue2

so did the debate actually let us see anything we didnt already know?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
I watched and i though McCain showed that he has no real ideas. He spent the debate nit picking at everything Obama tried to say and that just made him look petty, IMO.
I really hope for not just your countries sake Doc, but the rest of the world that your people get out there and vote for Obama because more of the republicans is not a good thing for the globe!

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
During the debates, McCain at no point other than the very beginning looked at Obama.

I think the bit where Obama said that no country has seen its economy collapse while its military has stayed strong was a point where McCain really faltered.

-Mike

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc Lightning
Or have we all agreed that McCain is a reckless moron?

Found out the other day my dad supports McCain. shocked

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
FRD, I'm glad he's not American, then.

What I love was his choice of "Pit-Bull Palin." She's not even remotely qualified for the job, so why did he pick her?

Well, because she's a hot woman and he felt that it would gain him male votes. This to me demonstrates such a cynicism and such a low regard for the American man that it makes my blood boil. Oh yeah, she's hot. She was Miss Alaska. A YouTube video of her swimsuit competition is all over the place.

Sorry, Sarah, honey. You're pretty. But that's all you are. I hope, for your sake, that you stay that way.

If he wanted a REAL pit-bull, he should have picked Condi Rice. Now THERE is a woman who is superlatively brilliant (and a beautiful piano player, to boot!). She has extensive foreign policy experience and extensive political experience. I don't like her one bit (and I know Condi Rice personally as she was my vice provost in college). In fact, she's a total [female dog] and having her as VP would scare the living daylights out of me. But she is brilliant, eminently qualified, vicious, and she wears lipstick.

And she is WAY out of Sarah's league.

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Condi Rice would definately have been a more sincere option, but she's not half as pretty as Sarah palin. i do think her selection as a running mate was a cheap option, and many people are neglecting the fact that she will only be second in charge, shes only half as important as the man infront of her (if that), so whatever reason you have for liking her it should be remembered she is not the candidate. i find Mc Cains choice of sarah palin akin to when you put a nice fitted sheet over an old couch. sure it looks nice, but under the surface its still old and broken.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I was trying to read about your opinions about the debate, but have gotten completely distracted by trying to digest and absorb the fact that you guys seem to think Sara Palin is a hot pretty woman? Er, what?

The scary thing is that if mcain dies, as old people often do, Sara Palin would become president at least temporarily. Full power. Knows where the red button is. That, is scary.

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Sara Palin....NOT HOT ????????

Non-Https Image Link

wink

Taken from snopes dot com

EDITED_BY: Stout (1222887209)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
oh,ack, eek, my eyes, my eyes...
wink

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I watched it. In fact, we had a drinking game attached to it so we had to really listen.

Then I went to Factcheck.org to see what they said. It was insanely interesting.

McCain didn't even look at Obama in the beginning when they shook hands, despite the moderator telling them to address one another.

McCain harped on his Vets. Great for him, think outside the box.
He had a couple good points, but was so into saying "I don't think Senator Obama understands..." when it was clear Obama does understand.

It was also evident that Obama has been groomed. If you listen and watch him compared to the Democratic debates earlier this year, he is tonnes better. The change is unreal.

Now, they both made erroneous statements.
They both spoke over one another and interrupted one another.
They both went off topic and harped on their own agendas while circumventing different questions.
However, I completely think Obama won. Not only in what he said, he was "on" with more points than McCain. Obama also maintained his composure.
At one point I had to listen to it in the car and I can tell you that you could *hear* the anger in McCain and at one point I *swear to god(s)* that he swore under his breath at a point Obama was trying to make. I can be sure but I know without being destracted by watching them, I got to listen more.

Once home and watching it we had to really pace ourselves for the drinking game or we would have been SLOSHED.

We're playing another one tomorrow for the VP Debates. So far one of the big rules is if Palin says she has to check on a fact and get back to them, we have to chug a bottle. lol Oh and her refering to "seeing Russia from Alaska" (can't be done except on one part of one remote island she has never been to) as part of her foreign relations experience, then we have to drink.
And if she mentions God.
Oh hell. It's going to be interesting. lol wink

Stout, that isn't her! Those boobs are way too perky. tongue2
BC, thank you for being sane. This whole Palin=hot thing has had me throwing up a little in the back of my mouth. sick

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i wouldnt say shes hot, but by looking at other female politicians i'd say she's above average. i also suspect this may be why she's gotten further than any other.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mr Majestik, absolutely.
And concidering that McCain's camp keeps her silent, she is the poster girl for a trophy "wife". Silent and stands in the back to look pretty and make him look better.

It's very sad.

Pele

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
not wrong there pele.

they real sad thing is that people may vote for McCain because of this......

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Until the VP debates last night, Mr. Majestic, in which she tried too hard to play the cute and sweet one.
And choked us on it.

Seriously, is it a compliment for the normal US man to be called "Joe 6 pack"? I've yet spoken with one that seems to think so.

And the grand finale to her idiocy last night, her "slip"...

"McCain is the person we should choose to leave...er...lead."
rolleyes

Yup. Couldn't have summed it up better than that beginning part.
Go Palin.

Needless to say, she lost.

Pele

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
YAY! i was confused when the debate would be. i thought if it was the same time as Obama V McCain last week which meant it should've been on tv here at midday saturday, but it wasnt and as i have to get ready for a wedding i dont really have time to look up all the talk about it so thanks pele smile

that palin, she's a silly whacker.

i'm sure the slip will be on youtube by the time i get a chance to check it out smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Last week the Presidential debate was on Friday.

The VP one was on Thursday, which is why you prolly missed it.
It's available online.

Occassionally she would say something that sort of made sense but she wouldn't really answer questions. In fact, she had 90 secs to answer a question and filled it with a shout out to an elementary school in Alaska because she couldn't answer.

I could go on and on really, but then I'd ruin it for the people who still haven't watched it. wink

In the end, Biden was determined the winner.

But really my issue was that it was easy for her to impress because expectations were so low. But, if you hold her to the same expectations that we had for Biden, she completely sucked.

Now, Biden we expected to be...well Biden. He's known for being a hardarsed straight shooter who calls people out. This made alot of people nervous because if he used his normal tactics then he would have been viewed as the big, bad man for attacked the poor, defenseless Palin (which she is far from, but plays innocent not-so-well). That would have been very bad, so he actually exceeded expectation as well because he controlled himself *amazingly* and he answered the questions well and had a good strategy.
His was to down McCain at every turn using facts as his basis.
Hers was to play the sweet housewife and win US hearts with image instead of intelligence.

His won.

Pele

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Amy Poeler (From SNL) had a great line last night...

"And the winner of the Vice Presidential Debate was... whomever you liked before it started!!!"

This country is so polarized that I think one candidate could kill, cook, and eat a baby on TV and it still wouldn't change the numbers all that much.

Half of the country believes the other candidate is Satan. And come November, 49% of the people are going to have someone in the White house that they truly despise.

I think that's more depressing than who actually wins.

Unless McCain wins. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: NYCThis country is so polarized that I think one candidate could kill, cook, and eat a baby on TV and it still wouldn't change the numbers all that much.

What gets me is how immune people are to simple facts. McCain has stated that he will continue many of the current policies of the Bush administration. And people think this is a GOOD idea.

By what objective measure are we doing well? By how many flags get waved? Oh lord...

-Mike

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Looks like certain politically minded celebrities are taking an interest too... laugh3

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?