gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Seeing as the UK elections are coming up smileit seemed only natural as a topic to discuss the wonderfull world of politics. grinFor those of you in the UK, and old enough to vote, WHO WILL IT BE? confusedAnd for those of you who don't live in the UK what political party have you or would you vote for. confusedPersonally I feel that this year the only party for me is GREEN grin. What do you all think? (Everybody must have an opinion here be it on party or policy).peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Of course, being a USA resident, that means I didn't know the UK was having elections, and have no idea even what parties there are in the UK... winkIt'd be nice if they had more coverage of such things here. Even CNN doesn't say as much as it could...But... if the green party there is like the green party here, then it may be a good bet. smile

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i'm a green, i voted for nader last election and for as many regional greens as i could-specifically joe swaja here in seattle, he managed to get 20% of the vote!he also used to be my old political science teacher smile

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
I think this year's is pretty well decided already - it'll just be a question of how big a majority. Nonetheless, I'd definitely have to be a greeny (assuming they've got a candidate in this constituency). Unfortunately, I'm officially a "no fixed abode" so I prob'ly won't get a look in at all frown. Still, there's always next time....Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
I'll be voting Liberal Democrat.And for the first time in my voting life (this is my 4th general election) I'm actually in a constituency we can win.Which isn't what matters.I admit it, I was brought up by two very active members of the Liberal Party as was, and that's shaped the way I think.I believe in a politics based on principles, on firmly held beliefs about the purpose of politics and the benefits it can bring to people's lives.I believe in fairness. And in the strong supporting the weak. In helping and encouraging everyone to make the best contribution they can towards a better society in which to live. In the words of the party's constitution:"The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community, and in which no-one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity." I don't like parties which pick on the weak or the current flavour-of-the-month bogeyman to try and gain some votes. I don't like parties prepared to gut the welfare state to pick up a few votes with promises they can't keep about some short-term cash benefits at the cost of long term social damage. I don't like parties which insist I or anyone else live a particular lifestyle. I above all don't like parties which believe that votes 'belong' to them. Votes belong to the voters, to express their views, not for the purpose of 'backing a winner or it's a wasted vote'.I believe in a fair voting system, in a system of justice which treats the prince and the 3rd-generation unemployed as equally deserving human beings, in an economy which allows wealth and its benefits to spread as widely as possible. I believe in a party prepared to spend in the short term because the long term is what matters. I believe in a government prepared to say 'This is what we want to achive, and since it will cost, this is how we will have to raise the money', rather than one which says 'this is the tax bribe we'd like to offer, so here is the kind of state we'll have to have to achive our tax plans.'But above all I believe you should vote. Not necessarily for my party, but rather for what you believe in. I can't remember who said it (maybe Tom Paine) - "I'd rather vote for what I want and not get it, than for what I don't want, and get that."Whatever you decide, take a 5-minute walk on 7th June, put a cross in a box, and express what you want.mikeyB

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Politics grin(Some of you may know what's coming next...)Poli- meaning manytics- meaning blood-sucking insectsas you can tell I'm not very fond of anything political. sorry if I offened anyone, just another discouraged American venting to some friends.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
AAAARRRGGGHH POLITICS!!!!The thing with elections is it doesn't really matter who you vote for the Government wins.I would like to see a *vote of no confidence in any of them* box on my ballot paper. The unfortunate reality is that all parties promise everthing you want and then when they get power (& flash car, big house and a massive paycheque aswell) they develop amnesia about their election promises. I think some political parties have sound ideals but none of them ever seem to reach fruition.IMHO Prince Charles would do a better job than any of them. He seems to have an ability to understand ppl and concepts in a way that polititans cannot. He is an avid supporter of green issues such as researching natural medicine, environmental pollution etc...he was the first to stand up and publicly oppose GM. I know he has led a very priviledged life at the tax payers expense but so do many polititans. I think that his leadership is the best chance we have of developing a sustainable future. We as a society already pay his wages so we really should put the man to better use, Instead the papers/government make a mockery of his opinions as they are mostly opposed to big business and government policies.My 2p's worth.peace and love, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Did everybody see John Prescot last week in that little incident.he he he grinwell he did used to be a boxer. nice left hook.peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
yeah man, whack, didnt know he had it in him. guy needs to chill out and do some poi.

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
I agree with Thistle!!! The government ALWAYS wins!!! the problem now-a-days is that the government has TOO much control!! in america, and all over the world, we need to remember that the government is there to SERVE US, NOT US SERVE IT!!! however, those greedy money grabing politicians have their nose so far up their asses, they don't know which ways up, and WE THE PEOPLE get f**ked when they loose their balance and tip over! I personally think that if this world was to go through a period in which all our governments would through down their arms and say ENOUGH, and become the United World of Nations! or Earth, whateva i'm not going for catchy names, you get the point!!! seriously though!!! look at things, how they r run, our technologies ect! WE ARE PRIMITIVE!!! not untill we start thinking abstract will this world pick up and go!!! unfortunatly thogh right now, we have to many dumb asses that decide maby it wouldn't be a bad idea to dry their hair while still in the shower!!! why you think they need that warning!!!i guess overall what i'm trying to say is that if a government takes away the rights of the people, it should AND IS the PEOPLE'S RESPONSIBILTY to overthrow that government!!! if we want something we have to get off out lazy asses and go get it done!!! it's time for a revolution!!!!! damn this planet makes me sick sometimes!!!! PLUR (stands for) peace, love, unity, RING (the global ring of people who want changes and want a new world!!! the time has come!!)(anyone think i should be a motivational speaker!!?? maby i should run for president!)------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
opps! the thing about the blow dryer!! hehe! i ment that people think it might be a good idea!! lol, who's the dumb ass know!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!