hippyjimmyBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
hi this may sound dumb, but i will be moving to spain (near alicante) very soon as a very good job chance has occured, (im trying very hard to learn the laungage, and its hard as i already know german as well and for some reason a third laungage is difficult- hopfully ill pick it up more once in area)

i know little about the area or spain itself, anyone know spains general attitude to the english (thankfully im not a chav- more hippy apparently) and poi? maybe even good areas for it like lesson places or clubs?

60s guy stuck in 2007......people tend to think ur wierd if ou wear tye dye clothes for some reason........the poncho i can understand.....but tye dye lol

hippyjimmyBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
just to say i dont mean to sterotype or group spanish people with the above comment lol, but as with the uk im sure the majority hold certian views on certian things about differnt cultures races and activities......although i dont agree with most the the racisim and sterotyping ive encountered in the uk (although im not really subject to any seeing as im the same race and background as most - although it shouldnt matter- although ive encountered anti peacfullness which does seem to exist for some reson),its probably the areas im from that cause this and not all the uk hopfully there will be less of it in spain or maybe thats just a dream lol i dunno i havent been there yet. ubbloco I know my comments seem a little silly sorry bout that cant help it ubbloco

60s guy stuck in 2007......people tend to think ur wierd if ou wear tye dye clothes for some reason........the poncho i can understand.....but tye dye lol

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
Well firstly, good luck in alicante!

I'm learning Spanish at uni at the mo. (actually I've got an exam tomorrow morning, so should really be working smile ) and I've spent a bit of time in the country (not nearly enough). Don't be too worried by the language, it gets much easier to pick up if you're over there surrounded by it.

Not sure about the Spanish with poi. Last time I was over there (about a year ago) I saw some people selling them in the park in Madrid, but not much else poiish. But their attitude towards the English is, in my experience, pretty much as good as their attitude towards anything in life i.e. pretty laid back and open. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling the Spanish people lazy, it's just that they have a great attitude and know how to have fun. I've always felt accepted (or at least tolerated) in my englishness, but if I were you i'd definitely try and pick up the language. The people I met loved it if i at least tried to say a few words in Spanish, cos most of them spoke English and it was like a gesture of not wanting to impose myself on them.

Yeah, I don't reckon you'll have any problems with Spanish people (unless you're just a b***tard). Good luck!

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

ChronosHow is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
20 posts

Posted:
Hey there, I realise I'm opening up a dead thread but I wanted to let you know that I am also very close to Alicante, a town called Benidorm. I only know 2 fire dancers here, one is my maori fireknife teacher from NZ, and his Spanish student. I'm looking for other fire dancers in the area.
Pass me a message if youre still on here!