matthyamBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hi,

I recently purchased a set of monkeyfist wicks from HoP and they arrived today.

Although I can't complain about the build quality of the wicks, at no point in the ordering process was i told about the £15 customs charge i would be subject to!! (England btw)

Has anyone else had this problem because I am not impressed atm!

/Matt

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've never had any problems. I have always been quoted a price at the checkout and paid that price.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
No but it does say on the site about taxes. You can be taxed on all imports to the uk from outside the EU but its more likely if you get the courrier service.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
No I never had any probs like that either.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I just got a huge customs bill too (well, kindof huge £30)... on products from Argentina frown

It's not the fault of the supplier... it's just one of those things... occasionally customs will charge for goods coming into the country.

Dammit.

Getting to the other side smile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I thought they only did it if you bought lots of the product which implies an intent to re-sell??

They used to charge me for the boxes of random clothes and tim tams my parents sent to me in Romania...but I figured that was just lovely dodgy Romania tongue

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

_Adam_GOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
From what I remember, every country has a maximum value allowance, after which customs will start charging.

When I lived in the UK, I would order a variety of stuff and not get charged if I kept it under £100.

Now I live in Japan it seems to be fairly similar. I ordered stuff worth just over £100 last month and got charged £10. This month I ordered a new staff and it came through no worries.

Disclaimer: Figures are taken from my memory, which anyone will tell you, is in no way gospel.:)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It's nothing to do with HOP, it's a charge extracted by UK customs.

Unfortunatly, there seems to be little consistency about it- of the several HOP orders I've had, none have attracted the charge.

A visit to UK customs website yielded little useful information: my impression is that it's applied, or not, on the whim of whoever is on duty at the time and their interpretation of the rules.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I think that's the main thing; depends on who is there and if they're in a nice mood.

It was amazing how many times at the post office in Romania, if I started crying (a package from home is very emotional) they'd let the tax go! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...