Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
Is anyone here a bit big (BBW, BHM-- if you have to be told what these mean, you are probably not one) and constantly being told you can't do fire? This video is of a friend of mine, who is a BBW, and does. She has a lot of fun doing this, and it shows through when she's onstage. I think you'll agree, this is proof that outward appearances don't matter when it comes to what she does. ENJOY!

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b5366f1df9

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Welcome back Frederick. Good video smile

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Her confidence shines through and she looks truly beautiful smile hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry, I don't get it.

Why on earth should larger people not be allowed to fire spin?

Does this woman get told that alot?
If so what is the reason behind it?

241 posts

Posted:
She does get told in more ways than direct words. People will sometimes make it harder for her to get onstage at jams, question whether or not she is experienced enough to perform (she's been at it for 4 years), etc. The reasons behind it are simple. Too many performers look a certain way, it becomes the standard to which all others are expected to conform. Suffice to say, she (and I) tend to perform outside the usual circles.
This video was made as a bolster for her self esteem, and turned out to be just the shot in the arm she needed. She saw it first, and laughed her head off before she gave me permission to post it.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Those peoples are idiots smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
she's beautiful! hug no matter what they say!

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

241 posts

Posted:
I wholeheartedly agree with all of you! I know she will be happy to hear your kind words!

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Can't really see her doing anything special... I'd agree with a statement like "fat people find it harder to do behind the back things", but for fire breathing, why would it matter, even theoretically?

O.B.E.S.E. was founded for a reason biggrin

[Old link]

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

241 posts

Posted:
That's just it. It shouldn't matter, but it gets brought up nonetheless.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There was a performance group in LA a few years ago who were hired to do a performance, however they had one member who was a BBW. The troupe was told to drop her from the show as she didn't fit the aesthetic. *edit* The group didn't drop her, they stood by her, btw. */edit*

It happens in all forms of performing and it sucks. Circuses are especially harsh and cruel about it, so is acting and I have also been told that I don't look "hippy" enough, "artsy" enough or, and this is my favorite, "grungy" enough to be a spinner.

I've never been accused of not being a good spinner for being a bit large, but I've had alot of people assume I was a short (tall women are the other ones that sometimes get them) twig and don't even attempt to conceal thier surprise.

It's a sad and disgusting part of performing.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1169438564)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
You know....I've had just the opposite problem....
Being so small...I've had alot of people smirk at me and be antagonistic if they were large....
It's not like I chose my size...just like anyone else...but I get just as much flack!!!

To me...good and talented people come in all shapes and sizes...and should be given the same love and respect as anyone else!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap

Nice comments, indeed - I personally don't mind size, appearance nor age... Most people just face a complex about their own looks and fears and project this on others. shrug

Instead of focussing on the weaknesses, we could figure out the advantages in such appearance and work with it...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
Wow... I have a team in america and I used to have a fairly decent sized guy on my team and he had no problem performing anything. As matter a fact he was one of the more valued performers on the team, untill he had to leave the team because of a expected little 'un.
Too many people in this world take the words fat as if it were like AIDS...those people can only see the shell of people, and not the warm chocolate filling on the inside!
I think that the video is awsome...I am still afraid of the first day I try breathing fire. She makes it look like it is as easy as the forward spin in poi. Just tell her to push the idiots aside and keep on keeping on, there is no problem with her.

Beyond the Continuum.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: facelesshadow

Too many people in this world take the words fat as if it were like AIDS...those people can only see the shell of people, and not the warm chocolate filling on the inside!

You know what? Talking of just seeing the shell... I've met people with HIV who had great personalities and performed really well in their respective jobs, too.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I was introduced to poi on the beach in Thailand by a Thai guy who could only really be described as a big fat gut ( 300 pounds, easy ) so I tended to spend a lot of time with this guy and constantly had to hear from other Thai people about my big fat friend.

Seems that in Thailand, being fat is about the worst thing you can be ( outside of something like an incestuous pedonecrophiliac ) but his weight sure didn't compromise his abilities to get out there and put on a show.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

]
You know what? Talking of just seeing the shell... I've met people with HIV who had great personalities and performed really well in their respective jobs, too.

hugSorry I did not mean to imply that people with serious ilnesses were incapable of doing things...

I was more meaning that too many people look at the word fat as if it were the plague eek (which was poorly implied by my last usage of AIDS), and to be avoided at all costs. In my opinion those people can only see the shell...

Beyond the Continuum.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
eek she's got some major skills frederick clap

i find it a bit out of order somebody telling ANYONE "you shouldn't spin because" (unless it's because "your a health hazzard and a fire hazzard") ubblol

a for the video i wasn't too keen on the msic,so i playes some of my tunes over it but the photo and video footage was wicked and as jo says, you can clearly see the tallent and the determination shining through.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

I was introduced to poi on the beach in Thailand by a Thai guy who could only really be described as a big fat gut ( 300 pounds, easy ) so I tended to spend a lot of time with this guy and constantly had to hear from other Thai people about my big fat friend.

Seems that in Thailand, being fat is about the worst thing you can be ( outside of something like an incestuous pedonecrophiliac ) but his weight sure didn't compromise his abilities to get out there and put on a show.

It's because Thai people aren't fat at all.

The only fat people are rich, capitalistic pigs who do nothing but sit in air conditioned offices all day long. wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
re facelesshadow:
understood and completely agreed, thanks for clarifying hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
I have been twirling for many years and during that time i have been big and little. I definatley think it is easier to do some things when you are a little guppy.

One of my biggist motivators not to go back for seconds is so i can keep up all the poi stuff.

Having said that, surely it would mean more respect if someone who doesn't find it physically easy pulls it off? smile

xox

... simplify ...

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
Oh this is bad man....
i seen gorgeus girls and guys with muscles all over and [censored] perform like S**T, and i seen (only once) this, not fast, but fairly large, guy perform with firepoi and fire staff really good.
its just not right.
those guys get offended by everyone, so they work harder on being good.
good looking girls just have to look good and do a 3bt weave fro time to time (;))
so i dunno, i really like seeing people like this fight for themselves.
like, i know this girl, who is on a wheelchair, and she is gonna dance in the carnaval (here in brasil)
i think its really great.

Love is Life

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
It's stupid to judge someone on looks. Hell the girl that I first learned of poi from was a bigger girl, granted she could'nt do btb weaves (keep in mind I have trouble with thoes even being a skinny doubble jointed kid) she was still an amazing spinner.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

re facelesshadow:
understood and completely agreed, thanks for clarifying hug

My pleasure...I would rather correct it than look like an idot for saying something I did not intend to mean! ubbrollsmile beerchug

Beyond the Continuum.

241 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Icarus

surely it would mean more respect if someone who doesn't find it physically easy pulls it off? smile

xox

While you have a point, that point is lost on the audience sometimes. Moreover, it is often lost on other spinners who have an overabundance of ego. These are the ones that say things like, "don't you think you're a little big for this?" Worse still, it is lost almost totally on those who would hire a spinner for a show at their event, thinking that if they opt for the skinny one it'll be a better show. Sometimes the skinnier one will perform better, sometimes not. Just like older and younger. Kinda like the opera in that respect. It used to be about the voice, now it's some sort of messed up formula, something like: awesome voice+fat=bad / crappy voice+skinny=okay / mediocre voice+skinny=good. Truly a sad state of affairs when it's no longer about the talent, but rather about the way you look that determines your chances of success.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
I know. Silly ideals. spank

I do think it helps when people in the know educate (sometimes by force) the muggles.

peace

xox

... simplify ...

241 posts

Posted:
By the way, please allow me to say for the record that EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD ROCKS. grouphug beerchug peace

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Icarus

I do think it helps when people in the know educate (sometimes by force) the muggles.

Haha that is cool...muggle! ubbrollsmile

Frederick...you are the main one who rocks for posting the thread! beerchug If this doesn't put you on her "true firend" list I do not know what will!

Beyond the Continuum.

241 posts

Posted:
Nah, Y'all rock more.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel