Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Hi
Im soon planning on makeing a set of fire snakes.
What i want to know is a good way of sealing the ends of the rope to stop them from freying.
I saw a site where they was using some type of glue but this would need to be Fuel, heat and flame resistent does any one know what type this would be?
All so any other tips would be great.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

ElectricStaplernewbie
33 posts

Posted:
This should be in another forum. The other toys forum.

Life is a box full of chocolates. Its full of the gross coconut ones.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Post deleted
EDITED_BY: LazyAngel (1162276220)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
actually I think it's the 'technical discussion forum' wink

I also expect this has been covered before, so maybe try searching for the information?
EDITED_BY: LazyAngel (1162276258)

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
What i've seen used for the most part is just normal elmer's white glue (the stuff that american school kids use), and since its non toxic the fuel wont dissolve it. Also if you know how to splice rope, take the filling out of the center and eye splice it around the caribeaner (or what ever connection to the handle you have). Hope i could be of help.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
umm, lazy angel, tisnt PVC glue, thats for pipes. its actually PVA glue, regular white craft glue.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
ooooops
Yeh sorry about that.
I realised that i put this in the wrong forum after i posted it. But once its gone down the wires into cyberspace what can you do?
Anyway thanks.

Live life in a spin!!!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
If you want it moved, click on the 'notify moderator' button, explain that it's your post and you'd like it moved to 'technical' (or wherever you want it to go).

PVA is good for sealing wicks- one useful tip I've found when making fire ropes/snakes is that leaving one with partially frayed ends, if you're willing to put up with the aesthetic discrepency, is that it makes lighting them very easy- the frayed kevlar ignites far better than a totally sealed end.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: drvariety

since its non toxic the fuel wont dissolve it.

That doesn't sound like good reasoning to me.

Fuel won't disolve it because it's not the right solvent, not because the glue is non toxic.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I've had a good (by which I mean, f*cking bright) set of snakes for the past couple of years that haven't really degraded too much without the need for sealing the ends. Simply braid them and leave a little sticking out of the end of bottom knots, works a treat.

Blackbird posted a good braid design on here a few years back, might well turn up on a search.

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
pete: thanks! PVA is what I meant, I guess that was a freudian slip! wink

my ropes have big, chunky knots on the end of them, no glue! never been a problem but I don't use them every time I spin, because of the excessive heat and consumption of paraffin

MordfabrikSILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
On my fire snakes, I totally saturated the last tiny bit of rope with PVA until it was rock hard, and wrapped on top of that and just above it with kevlar thread in a noose pattern.

Holds together incredibly well, and there's no need for knots at the end then. Luxotica does a similar thing I think, but they use 1/4 inch rope for the wrap instead of thread. They also look pretty nice!

Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Thank for that.
I work in the building industry so i use PVA all the time.
I never realy gave any thought as to whever it would burn/melt or not but that seams to be the general opinion on what to use so i will give it ago.

Live life in a spin!!!

+:+:+SparklesGOLD Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I made a set of MASSIVE DIY firesnakes. In the video I included how I chose to weave my Kevlar rope in the design I chose. There may be something you can get out of it.