PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I just bought a new car. It's red and very zippy. I love it.

And I was thinking as my heart nearly stopped when a cop pulled out behind me with his lights on, and thankfully passed me....someone once told me that cops pull over more red cars than any other color.

Now, it is actually from a study (one more pointless study).

So, do you think that most people with red cars tend to own sporty ones and so drive faster?

OR

Do you think that red cars simply stand out and are a noticable, easy target?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
or could it be that there are more red cars than any other colored cars?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I dont know, silver seems to be extremely popular over here, along with drab greens and blues and really dull non exciting colours... The red ones definately stand out more... so long as its a vibrant red...

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I once heard that people think red cars go faster. tongue

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

say_cheeseSILVER Member
Brown
288 posts

Posted:
i do think that red cars stand out more than others...?

Official Nutella Fan Club

Go Nutella!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm from a smallish town and going by the types of drivers around here - everynight on our main street by the lake & skate park people (mainly males I'm afraid) show off their flash cars by doing laps up and down the street and parking near the lake. They race each other from the traffic lights and do burn outs and are generally speedy, reckless drivers.

My point is, is that here, the kinds of cars these idiots have are of all shapes and colours. My job involves me driving around for 5 hours everynight and from what I've seen, their aren't a heap of red ones around anyway.

Cops are around everynight near the lake at night pulling over the speeders, and checking under bonnets for illegal speedy mumbo jumbo.

I think that study is silly. I wouldn't think they'd favour any sort of colour, they'd simply just be doing their job, trying to keep the roads safer by targeting dangerous drivers like they should be.

shrug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
It's actually quite possible. I've heard that insurance for a car can be distinctly more expensive if it's red, depending on the company.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Red ones DO go faster... according to the Orks, anyway wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I heard about police in the UK playing snooker with cars colours when they pull them over, that would definately involve more red cars!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblolcar snooker! excellent!

Maybe its something to with the brain,
You associate the colour red with stopping.
Traffic lights/warning signs etc.

So if they're doing random checks and they spot a red car maybe it triggers some sort of reaction in their brain..

Meh...I prefer the snooker idea!

whiterosenewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I have a bright green car and I think that makes people want to beat it up to be honest. People keep touching it and either breaking it or stealing the aerial lol.

As to your question I think it has to do with the number of cars that are a certian colour rather than the colour itself.

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnarly Cranium

It's actually quite possible. I've heard that insurance for a car can be distinctly more expensive if it's red, depending on the company.

Thats actually true and I hate it because the majority of all cars I have owned have been red.

As for being pulled over because of the colour, well I havent noticed, I get pulled over no matter what colour my car is it seems.

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
You sure that aint your driving!? wink hug

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
ubblol its entirely possible maus ubblol hug
After all I am a bit of a speed demon wink biggrin ubbangel

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i can't think that it is true simply from my personal experience
my parents have owned red cars for at least 24 years and between the three of us driving we have gotten 4 tickets, and i don't know that they were all tickets. i think one or two of them may have been warnings
one driving to an emergency(i forget which)
my mother has gotten two after while driving under extremly emotional times
that leaves one out and out speeding ticket

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sethis

Red ones DO go faster... according to the Orks, anyway wink

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Non-Https Image Link

But seriously, It's most certainly that those who find the need to buy red cars are simply middle aged people desperately trying to relive their youth by speeding and driving irresponsibly?

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol rolleyes ubblol ubblol ubblol

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
my dad told me that red cars are popular because they are clearly visible in various weather conditions, whereas if you have silver or grey or black you sort of disappear in the fog... but that i would've have thought would make your insurance cheaper, and make the police assume you were a safe and concientious driver, so it would not explain them pulling a red car over more....

I think Dunc's right, it must be car snooker, probably gets a bit difficult when they have to bag a pink or a brown - or if it's pool where do they find stripey cars? they would have to start pulling over ambulances and other police cars

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NOn, your dad is right. It's why I chose red...it was the brightest color my style came in (if they had yellow...I'd have gotten that.)

I used to have a platinum Malibu. In the sun it was goldish...the color of the pavement on a hot day. In the fog or rain, it was grey. It sucked. I was run off the road more in the few years I owned that car than in my entire life.

I also know that in this area red is the rarer color (other than yellow here). Silver, black and bland are the order of the day.

I think it's all interesting.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Red cars are pretty... my cars were red smile The 2nd one was even slightly sporty, and yes, people thought I wanted to race them at traffic lights and then realised they had to drive off alone at full speed ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

But seriously, It's most certainly that those who find the need to buy red cars are simply middle aged people desperately trying to relive their youth by speeding and driving irresponsibly?

So what colour do you drive? tongue

I want a navy car with red racing stripes once I can actually afford a real car rolleyes

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

NOn, your dad is right. It's why I chose red...it was the brightest color my style came in (if they had yellow...I'd have gotten that.)

Red definately most popular in the UK, very few yellow cars, and if you see one you have to punch somebody in the arm... or maybe that's just where i worked smile

I want a emerald green smart car, mind you i'd have to know how to drive first and i still haven't got round to that yet...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.