Forums > Social Chat > Workshops in Melbourne, Australia?

Login/Join to Participate

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I found this today: Fire Dance Company Workshops

Sounds exactly like the sort of thing I've been looking for. Has anyone else done these workshops? Were they any good? Does anyone know of any other workshops like this that are run in Melbourne? I'm a beginner who needs tuition in both poi and staff.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Check out the events and gatherings thread. I used to go to one in St. Kilda on Sunday nights. I'm pretty sure the format hasn't changed all that much.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ah yes, fireworksdance. i had lessons with them late last year. i learnt some poi, juggling, contact, staff, doubles, eating and most of all, kerry helped me and a mate choriograph a show together. this is where kerry really shows her abilities and i reccomend them.

furthurmore, gatherings are great. melbourne has one on sundays, accross from the national gallery, and one on wednesdays, in the edinburgh gardens. check out the events performances and gatherings section.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks for the responses. I'll probably take some of those lessons at the start of next year. Anyone else thinking of taking them?

I'll be coming to one of the fire meets eventually. However, I heard they aren't so great to learn stuff at because it's dark and people just want to spin fire and what-not, but we'll see!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
the meeting on sundays are great for learning stuff. they start before dark (6:30 -7 ish) so you can still learn while its daylight, and whats more, off to the side, there is a big street-light, which is great for teaching under.

im not going to be doing their lessons, i dont have the money.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
there's also underbelly in fitzroy. i went to a few of their classes earlier this year, they're really good. Meliah there teaches staff (both doubles and singles, also contact stuff) poi and can teach you hoops or meteor if you're interested.
www.underbellydance.com
also, check out the age article... you can see me in the background!!!
https://www.theage.com.au/news/Entertainm...0649054303.html

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
underbelly are also good, i did a performance at fed square with them once biggrin