poispiritnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi guys! maby somebody can give me a hint how i can learn the onehand butterfly easier. I try since a few days and can`t manage it. I think that I move my hand the right way. But i dont find out where the problem is. Can you give me some advices please?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
You need to mention how it's failing for you. Basically, the movement is just up and down with the hand. It works best to start with a normal 2 handed butterfly, then catch the other poi with your target hand. This helps to start the planes off correctly (that is, they are spinning correctly to start with).

I'm assuming you're using poi, anyway...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Really, the one handed butterfly is just a matter of practice. Just do it a lot and it'll get cleaner and easier.

Or maybe that's not helpful at all.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Im still learning this one, I can do it with sock poi very easily though, practise with these to get confidence and be pleased with yourself, couse itle take a while with handles the hand movments are awkward.

I do this with tails, do the butterfly and instead of straight of trying to slip the second poi into the first hand, gently ease your second poi fingers through the first while your still holding both the poi, then once your four fingers are ontop of each other take away one hand, this takes abit longer, but it gets you used to the doing hand movements and with enough pratise it wil lbe fluid and you wont need to do this.

One thing though, make sure you start by holding your poi properlly with your finger through the loops. If you justgrab hold of the handles with your fist and throw one poi into the second hand you wont get the wrist action flicks, wichare needed for this. I thought ide be clever doing this at first but I soon found out its useless to try.

Im I making sense?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My advice -

Use sock poi so as finger loops get in the way when going in and out of one hand butterfly.

Get a good, steady and fairly slow butterfly going. Assuming your left hand is dominant (on top) and that the poi is held between thumb and index fiinger- when going into one hand butterfly, slip the other poi between the ring and little finger of the left hand.

This creates distance between the poi and makes maintaining and controlling the one hand butterfly much easier.

It is totally possible to do a one hand butterfly by just sticking the second poi between the thumb and index finger, and many people do it that way, but I much prefer the separation method as it makes it easier, and, if you're going to progress into more complicated combinations involving moving in and out of one hand stuff, it gives more stability.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i've been practicing this move for a while now and all of the above tips are good, i would'nt say i've mastered it but by using these tips it's quite easy to get into. getting out is a different matter haha

also i've been working on a 1 handed butterfly and going into an over head 1 handed, managed it a few times but it's v. hard

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A nice variation on coming out of the OHB(one-handed-butterfly) is to, instead of taking out the poi you put in initailly, take out the other poi- this will switch the butterfly direction.

So, if you start with a two hand butterfly, go into OHB by putting the right poi in the left hand (now holding two poi), but, on exiting the OHB take out the left poi- you will now be in a two handed reverse butterfly.

It's a useful way of reversing the poi without having to turn, or without using stalls/wraps.

I suspect that using the grip I mentioned above makes this move easier, as the poi are held in distinct parts of the hand, but I can't say for sure as I never use the alternative grip.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh to get out of it without getting both your poi tangled up, do a giant butterfly to get out of it.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SalciliaBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
I find it easier with mouse poi, as the tails are shorter and dont interfere...

I'm not sure if this is 'correct', but I tend to grab the left poi in my right hand further down the string just below the handle, and it seems to work fine. Anyone else do this?

Or am I just crazy? ubbrollsmile

There appears a flight of dragons without heads. Good fortune.

GlitterBubbleSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I'm still fairly new to it all, but the way that I was shown is.... you know the way they do that "rock, paper, scissors" thing? As in, moving your fist up and down through the wrist..... do that once you have transferred the 2nd one into the main hand (I grab the 2nd one between ring and pinky finger).

I really hope this is right and that it makes sense, because I find that by doing this, it is really easy. I even went over the head pretty easily too with this movement. Good luck!

I love HOT chillies!

*me: Guess what? I'm learning how to eat fire!
*husband: well, you do love hot food.....