Forums > Social Chat > on daniel radcliffe... first two posts safe only, then SPOILER

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Him = Daniel Radcliffe. The boy who plays Harry Potter.

He was wicked cute in the 3rd movie. But I've seen pictures of the fourth. And its just not working for him. For started, they need to let him cut his hair! Why movie people? Why?

/end rant

(yes, its too hot and i'm a little bored)

EDITED_BY: Kyrian (1123208293)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
psst Kyrian can't read. I think she caught it from me....

Meh

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Anybody else dissapointed by the latest book? I mean, ***** killing **********? It's nearly as bad as Harry Potter shouting at everybody. Or taking part in the Triwizard tournament. Or fighting cheap imitation Nazgul. Or defeating a giant snake. Or stealing the Philosophers Stone.

Not that I would read any of the books...
EDITED_BY: QuadDamage (1123208634)

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Don't give away the ending! Bad! Very bad!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Whoops...

J-Jmember
41 posts

Posted:
This thread should have a big arse spoiler warning in the title - so the ending isn't spoiled for people who haven't read it!
spank

or alternatively that post should be deleted.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I second the deleting but I'm putting up a warning until it happens.

I know hes not supposed to cut his hair, but they were supposed to be wearing wizard robes too. And his hair was a lot more cut in the third movie!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

J-Jmember
41 posts

Posted:
yeah well, with a different director (almost) every time you are bound to get differences of interpretation. Personally I think the Cueron (spelling?) guy did a good job with the third movie but they've still gone and got different director again.

That said, I haven't seen these pictures - do you have the link for them?

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
i think the 3rd was screwed up compared to the others.....i mean they changed the hogwarts grounds totally!!!

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Written by: J-J

yeah well, with a different director (almost) every time you are bound to get differences of interpretation. Personally I think the Cueron (spelling?) guy did a good job with the third movie but they've still gone and got different director again.

That said, I haven't seen these pictures - do you have the link for them?

Are You Freaking Kidding Me!? he did an Awful job, i came out of the cinema disappointed, and within about an hour i was downright angry! he left out Pivotal plot points! and the connections with the ones he did put in were unclear, i spoke to a non-reader who didn't even realise that the dog was Sirius... And that Ridiculouse Shrunken head! Where did that come from!? What a waste of time!

Curion (i don't know how to spell it either, that'll do though) hadn't even read the books before he was asked to direct it... Newall (also not sure on spelling) however had, so hopefully he's skilled enough to fix Curion's f*ck ups...

(by the way, I'm completely obsessed with potter - having read most of the series 6 times - and i do realise i should seek help.)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: FoxInDocs

Are You Freaking Kidding Me!? he did an Awful job, i came out of the cinema disappointed, and within about an hour i was downright angry! he left out Pivotal plot points! and the connections with the ones he did put in were unclear, i spoke to a non-reader who didn't even realise that the dog was Sirius... And that Ridiculouse Shrunken head! Where did that come from!? What a waste of time!

I must agree with you there. The third movie blew chunks. It was too bright and nothing sat correctly with me. There were okay moments, but those came from the actors not the director. I've seen behind the scenes stuff for the 4th and it wasn't so bad, but it is not the whole movie so, I dunno. The 3rd and 4th are my favs.
I also really didn't like the 6th book. I think she forgot who the characters were as they didn't seem to be themselves and I felt like she was influenced by the movies in it's writing, which should make the 6th movie interesting.

Personally, I feel that when doing something they *know* will be a series that needs to maintain the same general feel that the movies should have the same director. It worked for Peter Jackson in LOTR. Great continuity there.

I am not a HP freak as much as a continuity freak.

And I agree, he can't be cutting his hair lots, wouldn't be the same. I say stick a deep bowl on his head and go around it with a kitchen knife. wink As the books go on the kids tend to get away from wearing robes as much as well because not everything is shot at Hw's. The movies I think reflect that as well.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Yes Harry looks like an absolute d*ick with longish hair and so does Ron. But are we forgetting their 14 in this film. No-one has a flyinp flip how to make themselves look attractive at that age. I bet we all look back to photos of ourselves then and cringe severly.

Harry and Ron are just going through the puberty odd stage. God dont you think they've got enough going on without you lot debating their hair? ( wink ) Look at whats in store for the both of them!

You'll find me on the dance floor

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
In the third movie, Ron had a bit of a mullet thing going on.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
No way Radcliff is a fox and getting foxier as to doo progresses.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

J-Jmember
41 posts

Posted:
Fraid I just have to bite... mad2

Well, I thought the first 2 movies were way too rigid in the way they stuck to the books. IMO this made them stilted, dull and in general pretty poor movies. Sure they were accurate, which I expect kept the die-hard obsessed fans happy, but if just wanted to see the book word-for-word in pictures, I would have just read the book again and used my imagination.

Whereas the third movie actually held my interest - although it probably helped that I didn't have high expectations after the first two. Then again, I believe that judging a movie by the book or vice versa is pointless. Rather you have to judge them on their own merits. So I can quite happilysay that I thought the third movie was interesting, worth seeing and was generally a good adaption even though there were parts where I didn't like the way they'd interpreted things. (I mean who on earth thinks a werewolf looks like that!)

And just a point about logistics: the books are now more than double the size than they started off being. Obviously the movies can't double in length - blame the first director for making the first movie way more drawn out then necessary, if you will. So what else are they going to do when they adapt the books but leave out plot points. There isn't really any other option.

All the die-hard book fans will complain of course. They always do. I expect even Peter Jackson got hate emails from Tolkien obsessives complaining that he left out Tom Bombadil, and... But I still think he did a brilliant adaption. biggrin

And for the record I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books (less so of the more recent ones) and of both the text and movie version of LOTR.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I dont think any of them can even act, its like when you look at Harry he jumps into emotions striaght away, you dont do that you build up and then hit a high point, for example:

The bit where harry wakes up after being attacked by the demntors during a quidich match. Someone says harry once and in a split second he wakes up sits up and answers, im sorry that dosent happen if you fall unconciouse, learn to act!!!!

The way harry keeps getting angry at everyone (and getting angry unconvincingly) bugged the hell out of me in the books and its gonna do worse in the films, oooh and Draco Malfoy cant act to save his life either he gets worse every film...none of them can act come to think of it lol, even the adults seem to drain the strength out of me and make me want to kill myself

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

10,530 posts

Posted:
All the movies are arse... the kids drag it down.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

I dont think any of them can even act, its like when you look at Harry he jumps into emotions striaght away, you dont do that you build up and then hit a high point, for example:

The bit where harry wakes up after being attacked by the demntors during a quidich match. Someone says harry once and in a split second he wakes up sits up and answers, im sorry that dosent happen if you fall unconciouse, learn to act!!!!

Er, actually, you can make me do that just fine, and I have another friend like that as well. Not in every situation, but sometimes it happens.

I admit the sixth book was a bit... well.. odd, but I liked some of what it did. The chracters are shifting oddly tho (harry seems unrelated to former harry) and there is some movie influence. Also, it felt like the end of the series to me. I think it should be. I'm not sure what I'm going to think of the cheesy ending seventh thats sure to come....

And as for the third movie, it was way more captivating, and just a lot less the book... a few mistakes but as a movie itself interesting.

But I'm still gonna be sad about the hair. Mops are just not the right way to go about it, he could have it long enough to cover his scar and still look good. I know its silly- and yes, those boys are in a strange enough age- but- dammit, eye candy! ubbangel

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

10,530 posts

Posted:
I have a mop head smile

I love it smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

even the adults seem to drain the strength out of me and make me want to kill myself

eek

Ummmm....huh?
The adult actors are *all* amazingly well known, well respected in their fields, award-winning or nominated phenominal actors! Not just the main ones, but even the ones that have been brought in as tertiary characters. Most of them are Shakespearean actors to boot, which is an absolutely *beautiful* thing.

Most of what we see in television and movies is shyte-not-even-close to acting (most of the white American actors I can think of fall into this). Those people put in glorious performances and I enjoyed watching the adults in the movie.

As for the waking up abruptly, that type of thing is a direction choice, not the actor generally.

The kids were chosen because they are not known, and they do have onset acting coaches.

As for the mop..it fits the character of Harry, I don't think it fits Ron. I think a jagged edged my-mom-did-it cut would work better, but I'm not the stylist for the movie, so it doesn't matter. I'm going to see it either way, and honestly none of them float my boat as they are all jailbait! ubblol

I *love* what arty farty said about being akward at that age...absolutely!

Pele

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Does anyone here think Draco Malfoy is a bit of a scanger ( irish word for chav ). I mean he has bleached hair which he gels, he's all cocky and arrogant too. He's like a wizard scanger.

I was so disappointed with the latest book. Each one is the same thing. Here is the pattern i think each book follows.

Harry is stuck in his uncles house, he goes to school / rons house, something bad happens, then for the rest of the book harry is trying to figure out a mystery. Then he finally figures it out and theres a big action scene with a badly described fight and lots of confusion and the story wraps up in the hospital wing of the school.
The only differences in the last 2 books were dead characters and harry's sick love story with his friends young sister.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
personally i lvoe the books

even the latest ones 5th was ok but harry annoyed me a bit w/ all the un provoked yelling but the 6th i thought was interesting and had loadsa gd background material which has given it a bit more depth and the 7th should be an good read

but the films suck - the first 2 were really poor - i found much of the acting poor and too much spent on visuals and following the story and not enough developing the characters and the motives - this was the same w/ the second (which is also my least fav book)

the thrid film i enjoyed the most as it had a differnt feel to it tho i still rpefer the books - personally though i cant wait for radcliff to stop acting in them as he really annoys me...

back

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spiderbaby

I was so disappointed with the latest book. Each one is the same thing. Here is the pattern i think each book follows.

Harry is stuck in his uncles house, he goes to school / rons house, something bad happens, then for the rest of the book harry is trying to figure out a mystery. Then he finally figures it out and theres a big action scene with a badly described fight and lots of confusion and the story wraps up in the hospital wing of the school.
The only differences in the last 2 books were dead characters and harry's sick love story with his friends young sister.

Exactly what I think... same goes for the Dan Brown books... theres a tried and tested order of happenings..

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
thats to give each book a sence of continuity to a degree and thats what tends to happens in mystery books which is JK's style

anyway they're not as bad as the redwall books - now those are repeatative

back

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: linedo patio

thats to give each book a sence of continuity to a degree and thats what tends to happens in mystery books which is JK's style

Yeah fair enough for two or three books but JK wrote six of the things and is showing no signs of stopping.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Only one more to complete the arc...

In Brief - and IMVHO...

Films... (in their own right)
1. Good ish, bad acting but good set pieces. Disappointed a bit by Alan Rickman, but only cos I'm a big fan and therefore a big critic...
2. Same as the first. Ergo dull
3. Nice sets, missed some of the threads, acting a little better but still bad. Except for Ron. I like him. Best so far.

Books...
1. Innovative, but suffering from kids book syndrome
2. Still innovative, as above but getting better
3. Best
4. Its staring to get fluffy and formulaic
5. Fluffier still, but then i've only read it once
6. Cheesy, formulaic, fluffy

All of the books have made me go "Yeah!" or I have cried. Either way, theyre emotionally engaging. Still a good series, hope the 7th doesn't kill Ginny. Or Ron. Or Hermione.

Simply for the sensation...

Lots of love,
Your resident cynic

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Its not good literature people! Its just something for a spot of fun, or not if you don't like it. I only started reading them because I was rather ill and stuck on a couch.

But that doesn't change the fact that in the third movie, imho of course, daniel radcliffe is hot. As opposed to, you know, elijah wood, who is hot but not really AS frodo. And what with american boys not knowing how to dress themselves, eye candy is of the essence.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Puh-leease...I have seen daft dressers of every nationality. It has nothing to do with him being American and everything with him being *male* and not gay! wink j/k

So, I find it funny that people are complaining about going to a movie based on a book, and seeing the book brought to life.
Ummm...that's the point!

And while *every* literary-to-tech media presentation has taken, or has to make, compromises there are only so many you can make before it isn't the book anymore.
If you don't want to see the book brought to life, then don't go see the movie.

I just saw the extended trailer for the 4th and personally, I think it looks good. Far better to me than the 3rd. There is only one part where the CGI looks very evident, like poor CGI to me, but other than that, so far, I like what I have seen quite a bit.

As for Alan Rickman, he is a perfect Snape. Even in the books Snape is a snippy, shallow mystery...and Rickman plays him well and accordingly.

The books are formulaic. So are Anne Rice, Stephen King, John Grisham, Poe, Dickens, Shakespeare, Aurthur Conan Doyle, The Narnia Chronicles, etc. That happens to be the nature serial (either in consecutive series style, or authors who wrote multiple pieces at once) literature. In fact, it is a method taught in creative writing classes (which strips the creative from the writing if you ask me). Nothing new or suprising there.
*shrug*

It's a bit of mindless fun for the imagination..both the books and the movies.

Pele

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I didn't follow you quite there with the dressers comment pele.... it sounded both like you implied he was american (altho that would really be irrelavent) and then not hot... so confused... perhaps its too hot in here?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
I personally find the films too "BBC Sunday family materny" in style. The child acting (or lack of) spoils it and the characters are very annoying. Actually I find the child characters rather annoying in the books and read them in the hope that one of these happless teenagers will snuff it - with the exception of Draco who I find rather interesting. What I would have really loved in the 6th book is some more interesting twists such as Ron getting so fed up of being in Harry's shadow that he betrays him, becomes a death eater and kills Ginny. Hell they are in boarding school why not a back story of kids getting kicked out for sex, drugs and alcohol. And come on if you'd been turned into a member of the opposite sex you'd be checking out the talent in the changing rooms after flying lessons - where was this in the book?

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

jenna@texadanewbie
12 posts

Posted:
I'm reading the 6th and it seems a tad oversexed, but whatever, hormones must rage on, even with Death Eaters on the loose,

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind "snogging" Radcliffe!
I might dye my hair red now that I think of it, redheads are stunning aren't they?

My fav is the 3rd bk (unimpressed by the movie) but I see hope with movie #4. Looking forward to mermaids and stuff.....

Jenna

Page: