SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
ok..
im goin crazy cos i cant find any ferrets in australia close to me... (brisbane)
does anyone out there in brisbane area (sunshine, gold coasts) or northern nsw (near tweed heads) have any contacts with ferrets? or who can get me a ferret? cos I WANT ONE!!! they are sooooo cute. i'm goin nuts. theres only so much u can do wit rats. i need a bigger pet.
so if anyone can help me... yer a legend. if not... BUGGER!

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
oh shit... jsu realised i shoulda posted this in help... SORRY!!!

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Ok, try doing a google search for ferret associations within australia. The reason you cant find them where you live, is because in some states of Australia, they are considered vermin (although why that is i have NO idea) and the pet shops are unable to sell them.

If you want to buy one, you will have to get one off a breeder, and they are usually easiest to find through some sort of Club!

Goodluck!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
been doin that alllllll day. lol. so i thought "hmm... mebbe hop can help" only reason i came ere.

i have typed so many different things into google and nuffin.

and screw australia fer thinkin ferrets are vermin... so are other animals we have! half the reason they are illegal in some places is cos if they escape they become a pest to our wildlife... well wtf are cats??? and they dont even have to escape to be a pest!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
*sigh* SpArKiE you gave up too easily!

Two minutes searchin and i got two sites for you.
The first, you can ORDER ferrets, and they will ship to you, more details on the site, click here

second. The NSW Ferret Welfare Society. An excellent site, Check it out, lots of valuable info, and no doubt, a list of breeders near you... or at least somewhere close? https://members.tripod.com/AliFerret

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
did i mention- the whoel day of searching? and u searched 2 mins and found probly 2 sites i didnt see. damnit. but thanks dude.

*Sparkie walks away with head hung in embarssment*

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Flynt....... fastest googler in the south!

*wiggles her fingers over her keyboard....*

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
I love the little buggers. Used to own 4 and have bread a few litters too.

The reason you can't get them in QLD is that it is illegal to have any there. People have lobbied and failed against the farmer mentality of the states government. They are viewed in the same way that rabbits, cane toads and other vermin are (even though anyone who knows about them would realise that it would take several males and females released at the same time to get them to run rampant - the females get ill and usually die if they don't breed whilst in heat).

The problem you would have with ordering them is that it would be impossible to get them delivered through legitimate channels (animal air freight etc.) and if you did keep them you (depending on where in QLD you live) wouldn't be able to take them for walks (which they LOVE) because old people up there have an uncanny knack for knowing these kind of silly laws and the fine last time I was looking at bringing them with me to Queensland was about $500 per ferret.

I don't want to discourage you as they are rewarding (if high maintainance) pet but you should be aware of QLD's attitude to them.

[ 05 October 2002, 07:32: Message edited by: BEZERKER ]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
^ spoken by a true ferret-lover.

have you all seen BEZERKER's e-mail addy?

ferrets must be wonderful family members. intelligent, right? affectionate, too, are they?

~ Mikie

[ 05 October 2002, 07:25: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Too true FireMike,

They learn faster than cats (thought they can forget faster too )

They answer to a name or sound if taught and mine used to lick my face just lick an excited dog would. They can be fickle, wanting to play one minute sleep and get cuddles the next then bugger off leaving you feeling offended just so they can curl up behind the TV.

Highly original, good fun animals.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I like ferrets. They are really fun animals. Sparkie, rats can be just as fun as ferrets, so be content wif it for now, hell i am not alloed a rat soo..... You can actually train rats to sleep on your shoulder. I had one that I trained to do that in the pet shop i worked at in Vancouver

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
hmm....no imput, but why would you want ferrets?
They stink, and bite and crap all over the place....well in my shoe anyways....
EEEWWWW!!!!!

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Crashleymember
37 posts

Posted:
my ferrets are so awesome. I have two, and they are the coolest pets. THey don't stink if you bathe them regularly and they are decented. Mine are very affectionate, kisses and all. You can see mine on my pets page on my website. hehe

web page

[ 05 October 2002, 14:03: Message edited by: Crashley ]

Hearing Nuns confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn~Crashley the Squeaky Toy~

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
never had one....but our stupid principal,
mrs. Hines, got it in to her head that they should have ferrets...in the office.
the hardly ever bathed them and they stunk!!!
poor little guys....
anywhoo, why can't you find them....isn't there any pet stores in you town....?

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
i think i fugred a way.
my dad lives in sydney so im gunna get him to bring me up one

and to the ppl who said stuff bout rats... i have 3. and i breed. so... got that under control.
and bram- my 1st rat could take the sleepers out of my ears... so thats truly intelligent they are!

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
My sis has 2 and they are cute and all but I can't stand them. Even though she bathes them, they stink. She lets em roam around the house and the damn things like to bite toes. And we can't hold them for long cause they don't really like to be held. They squirm a lot. I dunno. I had rats at one time and they were ok. I guess I'm more of a dog person. Hey, I know. You send me a couple hundred and I'll pack up sis' and ship em to ya.

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Y'all,

someone just said they have a ferret tattoo in the Competitive "how many tattoos i have" thread !!

quote:
Originally posted by Cage:
My sis has 2 and they are cute and all but I can't stand them. Even though she bathes them, they stink. [. . .] and the damn things like to bite toes. And we can't hold them for long cause they don't really like to be held. They squirm a lot.
ha! so, y'all ferret lovers, ferrets jus don't love poor Cage & frendz, or they're kinda raunchy - gnawrly too?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Do they still have those contests in Oz, where they shove ferrets down their trousers and see who can stand it the longest?

Jesus helps me trick people.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
SpArKiE hon, before you get your dad to bring one up, you might want to do some research with your local council, in regards to licensing your pet...

Wouldnt want for you to get a fine, by having what is considered to be "vermin", when it is easily avoidable, by registering the little critter! xoxo

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
i have asked rspca- cos they normally know these things... but they are like rabbits... dont have licenses er nuffin. jus have to keep to low key... jus wont be able to take it fer a walk sniff sniff. oh well. i jus think they are adorable. (hope my b/f's bros think so as well)

Crashleymember
37 posts

Posted:
Hehe, thought that I would post...gettin' kinda lost, need to check in more often...

in reply to Firemike...

Yep..I have a ferret tattooed on my ankle....

Hearing Nuns confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn~Crashley the Squeaky Toy~

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
I totally love ferrets and have 3 right now. My other 2 died from cancer. I love them so much that because their is very little knowledge of ferret health they inspired me to go back to school for animal health tech.
They are high maintence pets however and you should read up on them and find a vet that is experienced with them. They are highly intelligent, sneaky and extremely curious(a very dangerous combination).
www.smartgroups.com has a mailing list called ferret health that is very useful for information and there are a few ferret experience vets who regularly check the list.
I also have 2 cats and all get along with eachother really well and infact in a friendly one-on-one wrestling match the ferret will win 9 out of 10 times.
My favorite part about owning a ferret is watching them clean their faces or seeing them sleep on top of eachother in the weirdest position(flexiable little guys).

Crashleymember
37 posts

Posted:
I love my ferrets, but one of them, Hudson (named after Hudson Hawk, the great thief) has taken ill. We believe that he is allergic to fleas, cause he started loosing all his hair and has scabs all over his body. I took him to a friends house to attempt to make him healthy again. I have heard of a new disease that they are finding common among ferrets, it is a wasting disease. They are very lathargic and just don't seem to ever gain weight.....my poor baby, we think he has it.....Hopefully we can help him, wish me luck....

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
I prefer Gerbils myself...........

whats up with all the limitations?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yay, ferrets rule. Everyone that comes round loves our ferrets, and they're so friendly and playful.

Ferrets

"Moo," said the happy cow.