Forums > Social Chat > Following your Own Path

Login/Join to Participate

Matt Hippymember
7 posts

Posted:
There is an article posted further down this forum concerned with a group of people called the League against Poi. Some people seem to be concerned with this or don't understand. The reality is quite simple. As is most things in life. Do not be sad or upset by your opinions or anyone elses. Hundereds and millions of people try for years to 'fit' in and be cool or something they are not at heart. The trick is to enjoy and love what YOU enjoy and love. If it does not hurt anyone in a violent way then you should approach it with great passion. If a juggler does not like Poi, so what. She/He is not you. If he/she has a mind small enough to tell you that what you do is crap then so be it for him/her. The same if a twirler slags off a juggler. It is her or his Karma. A lot of People do not trust each other and themselves enough at the moment to truley be themselves and respect what is around them. But we must be tolerant and patient. It takes time to learn.And the only thing to do in the face of adversity is to be strong, respectful, kind and compassionate. But above all, be yourself. Only you can matter to your own opinions. You are all beautiful and all talents that everyone has are special. There is no better or worse.If we want to create a better world, we have to take care of ourselves and realise the diversity of all living beings.Keep spinning and twirling and unicycling and diabloing or whatever you do that creates. For it is the creation that is special. Not the method.The Revolution is near...Peace and Love to you all,Matt Hippy xxx

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
originally posted by Matt Hippy:
quote:
Do not be sad or upset by your opinions or anyone elses. Hundereds and millions of people try for years to 'fit' in and be cool or something they are not at heart. The trick is to enjoy and love what YOU enjoy and love. If it does not hurt anyone in a violent way then you should approach it with great passion.
Wurd...Again..to each his own. If it doesnt hurt you, or me, or society in general, go for it. This also transcends to racial issues as well and the world over. Everyone has something unique about them, be it a talent or their heritage, whatever. I guess we just have to weed out the a$$holes. I dont particulary care for County music and line dancing..you dont see me going to "The Swinging Door" bar/county dance hall telling people how stupid it is, or going to thier web sites and trash talking...do your thing..I agree 100%------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown[This message has been edited by Superman (edited 15 March 2001).]

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
I think i kinda wrote much the same thing on the League against Poi thread. smileChloe.

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Actually I kind of 'hrummmphed' when I saw the LAP site. But then Superman mentioned line dancing. Line dancing became really popular in Ireland a few years ago swiftly followed by a S.O.L.D (Stomp out line dancing campaign). I thought this was hilarious, and it was all done in good fun. However maybe some avid line dancers got hurt in the process. Because we love Poi, we can't see the humour in it I guess. Anyhow - we all know how great Poi is, so let jugglers have their little joke. Its their loss.Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
hello again.i'll just add my wee bit again.i have been teaching a friend to juggle clubs. i was telling him to throw them across himself at more of a 45degree angle than to throw them straight in front(which was working for him. after a while of trying (with some results) he came back and asked why. i started to try and explain but couldnt really. for a while i was into really fast juggling and the same with poi. but i am now much more aware of the art involved, big floaty visual patterns that i love to see and be involved in.so..............the only thing i could come up with was that the fast, right in front of you juglging was a more american style(correct me if i'm wrong) and the floaty stuff is very european. this is to do with where it comes from in a sense, the american cabaret style and the european street performance style. (this is very evident if you watch IJA videos) does this transcend to poi?who knows. but it struck me as strange that i was trying to teach someone how to do something different for no real apparent reason(it does help some tricks) other than that was what i liked.do what feels right and never sell short"for this will to deceive that is in all things luminous, may also manifest itself likewise in the retrospect and thus by some part of a journey already visited, may post men to fraudulent destinies."

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
"for this will to deceive that is in all things luminous, may also manifest itself likewise in the retrospect and thus by some part of a journey already visited, may post men to fraudulent destinies."
yes another quote....but that is an awesome quote..where is it from??Watch it be something basic that i should know, and will get poked at for...thats how it usually happens.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
whassis league against poi? are they serious? haven't done the research, but i'd say that us 'carny-types' if you don't mind the expression are so few and far between that it shouldn't be for the elephant man to *belittle* the bearded lady...o-o"dog-boy, atlas, half-man, the geeks, the hired handsthere was not one among them that did not cast an eye behindin the hope that the carny would return to his own kind"- Nick Caveps the rules of the site say you have to recognise your source so as malcolm don't get his a$$ kicked by the anti-napster league...