Forums > Social Chat > When is a building not a building?

Login/Join to Participate

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Today it is raining.....again. We also have thunder and wind........not really the kind of weather for spinning out in the garden. You might say "Ah well, wait 'til it stops" but it seems that its never going to stop. Added to this we are moving into winter and its only going to rain some more!

So with weather like this I'm thinking of erecting some kind of shelter in the garden so I can spin whatever the skies throw at me. My question is, how big can I build it and out of what before I need to pay to get planning permission?

I was thinking along the lines of some kind of open sided structure that has a removeable roof. My garden isn't very big. I have toyed with the idea of making a huge wicker dome and then having a canvas cover I could pull over when its raining. I'm a bit put off by the canvas though because it will go green and slimy over time and there is the problem of storing it when its not in use. I thought the wicker dome could be passed of as a pergola and therfore not need planning permisson. If I were to do a woodern/ stone or brick structure its more permanant and might need planning....... I'm not sure. Any ideas people? A huge bar of chocolate goes to the best workable idea! biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
A geo-dome!

1) Get many branches of trees, ideally about an inch in diameter.
2) Bind them with bailor twine or something similar into a kinda dome sahpe, remembering to leave an entrance/exit.
3) Cover holes in dome with suitable materials - flags, or throws or whatever you want to make it look pretty.

The more I think about it, the worse an idea it is however.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Easy.

4 wooden posts for the corners.
that corrugated plastic sheeting stuff for the roof.
4 nails.

you can guess what to do with them.

You might not have any walls though...

biggrin

Hows that?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
UCoF, I kind of wanted it to have a function and look pretty biggrin and the roof has to be able to come off.

nilid, thats kind of what I had in mind using willow canes.

I just posted this to see if you lot could come up with something mind blowingly simple but effective and pretty, that needs no planning permission........... I don't want much do I? ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
A massive tent?

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
A tree house, the dont apparently need planning permission because they are not "buildings", even massive ones. Then again, this was on tv a while ago so it might be out of date now.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Well its the new academic year so with all this lousey weather I'm glad we have a juggling club woohoo!
Non-Https Image Link

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
when its a cage... like prison or school or in my case uni

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You could always make one of these geodesic type things:

Non-Https Image Link

There's loads of sites around that'll tell you how to go about making one, and you can cover it with just about anything. I'm planning to make one at some point, just because I can, mine's probably going to be covered with plastic sheeting, overlapping so water runs down the sides rather than into it.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
some friends and I built a few geodomes, I cant remmeber the website for the photos, but anyhow - one was 13 metres in diameter, and then there was a 7.5m and 3 5m ones. smile a lotta work. I have 2 5m collapsed ones in my shed but the last guy to borrow one of them took all the bolts and then never returned em.... meh.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
a teepee! although it's not a great shape for spinning in unless you do at a crazy angle..... maybe you could get a really tall one then because it's a teepee it would be a temporary structure, AND you'd have a teepee!! I love teepees, they're great.

Or.... a better shape perhaps, a yurt..... those collapisble mongolian house, also temporary structures as they're collapsible, and they have walls and everything... againe might need to make it a bit taller for the purposes of poi perhaps.

OR..... go wiith the wicker dome/pergola thing and grow a nice big bushy climbing thing over it so that it fills in all the gaps and looks pretty and resists considerable wetness if not all of it....

OR............ a gazebo type structure thingymajig, and then you could get that materials they use for marquees, which may get a bit dirty but it's shiny and waterproofed so presumably easier to clean/more resistant to dirt. Of course... you could also get a marquee....

As for the temp/perm situation for planning, the materials you use, whether or not it has concrete foundations etc, all matter as to planning permission, i think if you can take it down, it could be any size you like... but i dunno, you'd have to check that, i remember watching an episode of ground force or home front or some such where they erected this huge sail in a garden but it was designed so that it counted as temporary.... of course that's another option - the huge sail option.....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Twisted ClownBRONZE Member
102 posts

Posted:
get something like a parachute and put it up on some long poles in the ground so they are leant outwards so they pull the parachute shape thingy ma gipit tight then brace them together with some wood that should give you enougth space.....

There may be one for everyone but what if there is two for three would that mean none for someone or did they start off without one....