Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I'm the best spinner in the world 3 years ago.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was just reminising about my first EJC two years ago... and I remember the coolest kid there was Glass doing a very bad buzzsaw isolation. Sometimes he 'kinda got it' and sometimes he didn't. And he also did an 'amazing' butterfly variation where he put the right poi over his left shoulder. We were all blown away. Stuff most of us can do in our sleep nowadays.

Even the 'amazing' videos from two years ago are getting dated.

We've been spending so much time trying to develop our poi moves yet, if we want to get relatively better, all we really need is a time machine.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Have some things to read about a hero of juggling who recently died, someone who I respect a great deal, now he really could do impossible things:

https://www.juggling.org/fame/fbrunn/geno1981.html

https://www.juggling.org/fame/fbrunn/kaskade.html

(sadly I'm not as good at distracting people with witty sillness as bender, so You'll have to settle for something interesting)

Just to complete Dantana's sig:

POI, just a lie we teach newbies who don't understand...

tongue ubblol.

I'm Joking OK (or maybe I'm not ubblol)

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
of the hidden temple...

full of buddah and da wine, so im in tha jungle being taught the ways of death...30 moves, 30 steps and theres only 1 man left, an i MUST be the 1 thats left standing, no need for a gun cause i come open handed...with the power of the master, move faster, time for a natural disaster...when i clap my hands together i can change the weather...I NEVER TAKE MYSELF TO HIGHER LEVELS, disappear before your wise, poof, smell the smoke of tha... weavesmiley

watch the cracker get cracked...so snackle crackle pop, goes the woddy or a nigga...i like to preach the peace, but u niggas like to push the f'n trigger...so i gots to give u 1, give u 2, or maybee 3 before the clip is empty...cause swinging in the jungle on a vine is a Monk...who is an agrivated monkey. :P ubbloco

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Really what it comes down to is that people learn in different ways and people teach in different ways. I, for one, have learnt TONS from this message board over the past year and Im truly greatful to each and every one of you. Weather it was from a subtle hint at something, a complete text description, or a video. Sure, there were lots of things I couldnt learn through the given medium but I either let them slide for the time being and come to me eventually or asked for further clarification. In the end, it was up to ME how I learnt somethinig. I simply took what I was given and used it to the best of my ability. The same goes for teaching. I now use my knowlege to try and help others whenever possible but I know that I cant help everyone nor do I try to. I put stuff out there the best I can and let the people do what they want with it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I started staff three years ago at Easter ConFest, then moved to poi, and clubs. I think as a community we have all improved in that time. But there are always better spinners and new people learning. The best spinners I see are generally the ones that have dance experience.

I'm another that doesn't have the time to decipher moves, though I often think the main advantage in posting a description is that writing it down makes u really figure out what u know. I think that once we reach a certain point we need to discover our own moves, ones that fit our style. Certainly the HOP video gave me the basics I needed, and through the HOP community I heard about things like isolations, that probably would have taken me ages to discover on my own. But even isolations have been around for ages, in the wider spinning community. I go on ad-nausea about clubs, but they were doing most of this stuff (with fire) over 100 years ago and even back to ancient geeks. So there isn't much that hasn't been done before.

It's also been my observation that some of the "old skool" spinners that aren't on HOP, often get new moves by being associated with people that are on HOP. Bows to the international travellers spreading the word ubblove

I find the best bit about learning and teaching is when travelling hoppers turn up at our Wednesday fire meet, and we stand around showing each other moves, going on like "have you seen this one, or that's how u do it etcetc". It is the bestest fun; just hanging swapping tricks and stuff. Certainly our local fire community had benefited from these HOP inspired travellers, and the Cairns krew rock

bounce

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
boy first glass now even dantana's back . thsi thread is bringin out everybody, we'll have to get in arguments more often so i can see the freaks again ubblol starting to feel like a group therapy session, this is.
sorry this will be my last thread hijacking post. actually no, this isn't a hijack is it, it's about the relationship between teacher and student, and the lack of teachers that will put up with the crap they get on the web... it's sad really, i get on here and talk about how there's advanced people out there that don't teach on the web because of disrespect and miscommunication, and all this starts up yet again.

rev he he now we're getting somewhere. (although the "non-insult" insult volleying is getting old an i'm over it)
"I ahve plenty of respect for people.. just none for you mate.. that's not an insult or anything engative.. you may be a great person.. but as far as poi goes.. I cant respect someone that's going to jump on me..."

GREAT! at least THIS is a good reason to not respect me. i can live with that. (cause i did, i jumped on you a while ago about the language problem. i did the same thing to others when they started up with some newbie stuff and we got along nice and dandy after the dust settled.)

but don't disrespect me cause i don't share enough. i still don't know how these elitism insults even came to play, (with myself or the others accused)... you turned issues between us from arguments about words on other threads to insults about elitism and talk of hypocrocy? fine, then
if "elitism" stems from one person drawing a line and thinking they are better because of certain moves, and moves don't make you better, then how can you even buy into the concept? how does it even come into the conversation, why would you call someone an elitist if you don't care about the moves? the underlying greed for more moves prevails, it seems. and how will knowing those moves make you better? you see, neo, there is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. it's one thing to say they don't matter, but another to really not care.
{pulls the comments back from out of his arse}

rev my problem with you is and always has been, for me, a broad issue of how newbies constantly turn the boards into mass confusion and drive away the teachers- 1) cramming masses of unnecessary language into an otherwise simple activity, 2) people respecting other people's time and language and threads so that we can progress rather than go in word circles. now if that is a miscommunication problem as spiralx so deftly pointed out then this should be easily cleared up. i try to steer the conversations back to that, but you have started in with insulting, that's a no no naughty ape. funny because the thing dividing me from you is the language problem, and you're insulting me because i have drawn a line between us with my elitism.

keep calling me an elitist if you want but with this stuff going on i certainly don't consider you someone i want to hang out and share poi moves with, to ME every thing about you seems very uncentered and hyperactive and you don't think about your actions.
glass thanks for the articles,
dragon7 as usual you have some badass warrior type stuff to throw in the mix

(i've really spent _way too much_ time on this computer. definitely going to be a while before i do this again)
beerchug grouphug

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

(i've really spent _way too much_ time on this computer. definitely going to be a while before i do this again)
beerchug grouphug

Yeah god arashi, you could've posted tons of moves while you were writing that! How selfish! ubblol ubblol hug

"Moo," said the happy cow.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

I go on ad-nausea about clubs, but they were doing most of this stuff (with fire) over 100 years ago and even back to ancient geeks.

oooh stone i truly hope you meant that spelling mistake ROFLMAO

off to play(much more important...)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

Written by: Stone

ancient geeks.

biggrin

Somehow conjurs the image of Coleman's and Glass' ancestors huddling in a cave throwing a rock in the air and catching it while saying:

"One. One. One. Drop..."

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've just got an image of Glass 's ancestotr holding one rock REALLY still for 10 minutes

*the origins of isolations*
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
arashi-

here's the deal cut and dry.. I try time and time again yet you still see me for themove.. within the mvoe is the concept.. and that's all I want.. people spend hundreds or years straring at the same freaking problem and then one day some dude walks up and goes.. 'if you carry the 1 it all balances out' and people gasp slap themselves in the head and move on...what is the point of that? its because peopls like you and others that keep secrets are that guy.. I never thought you were better because you have better moves.. I never though anyones was better because they have moves.. moves don't exist.. so even the move that I'm ranting for you guys to share is irrelvent.. I'm not looking for some new trick.. I'm looking for the concept behind the trick.. the carrying the 1 that I haven't thought of.. because to be honest everyone has their own style.. and lots of things are TRES basic.. at least I think most of my difficult moves are basic.. not because of ego, but because the concepts that drive them are at best medicocre.. in the end the crowd wants flash whcih comes from these mediocre moves.. I could give two sh*ts about the crowd.. I'mmore intersted in pushing the limits of my art.. sure one could say perhapos that's its all about being a knowledge wh*re but Icould care less.. its not liek I don't share all my secrets with everyone else.. when you don't share the knowledge but with few thats elitism..
I can understand people holding back because it getsstolen or anything else.. but again.. that's when your lookign atmoves and not concepts.. I would be perfectly happy if you never sent me a video and never toldme how to swing my poi.. but taught me some of the concept trickery anyway.. btu to be honest.. we go back to using the moves to teach the secrets because it explains things that we can't put into words even if it is hidden behind the curtain soto speak.. and I seriosuly doubt that you spin anything like I do.. so the odds that some of you or anyone elses secrets being one of those carry of the 1's that I jsut never get is probable.. that's what offends me.. that's what halts progres.. because I know that no matter how similar we all look..its onlythe moves that are the same.. the concepts as applied are different..the movement the timing the styl is different and thus when you move past moves.. when you move past the basics.. all your left with is unique style.. and that's someone noone really wnats to share.. but by the same token.. learning your style isnt going tomake me spin your way unless I'm just a copy machine.. but if by my posts alone one should realize that I by far am not a simple coopy machine ready to steal a style can call it my own..

I dunno.. maybe I'm ranting all over for no reason whatsoever.. but that's what I see.. and yeah blue I agree that text does make things hard... but again.. tell me I ahve not been dedicated anywhere in coming back and posting and qustioning and even arguing to help others see what I present or to make others slap me and see what they present.. noone can present an absolute perfect clear message everytime.. and regardless of experience some peoplejsut don't catch some things sometimes.. BUT that's no reason to give up I see.. I see hop and the other forums as a way finally for everyone to have a chance to come together.. Iknow so many people on here that don't even own comptuers.. either through work or school or library and sometimes firends places they get on.. they like me don't own cameras.. and live but far away from everyone else.. and I for one feel they have jsut as much rigth to the knowledge out there as anyone else..

videos are nice but a lot of the really good spinners I met don't own compuers and don't own cameras... and so via phone or soemtimes via text when the go by their library do I get to interact with these people..

there might not be world class spinners as you see it.. btu that sdoesnt mean there aren't good ones.. I'm glad that all this bickering as I said before has caused some of the other people to start posting.. I jsut wish they'd take the time once in a while to do it more often.. it doesnt have to be some godly insane thing they discuss..nor do they have to sit and try to decipher.. I'm not asking for'more' of their time.. jsut the time it took you to rant at me or things liek that tocome andstart a thread.. people talk how nothing ever gets discussed.. bring something up... soem people may get it someone wont.. but atleast it get sbrought up.. and if you bring it up every now and again eventually you'll find people that care.. hell just bumping a thread a few months later tneds to get it fired up again.. that's all I'm saying.. butI just don't see wehre someone can say I hoard knowledge and nothing ever gets discussed that they like, and so in the words of cartman 'screw you guys.. Im going home..' peoepl change people evolve and new people come along.. so you can't jsut say this is how it was, and thus it always will be..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good spot bluecat beerchug It was deliberate, but I wasn't sure if anyone would pick it up

I'd just like to add that I think it is tremendous that some of the more experienced spinners take the time to come back to HOP. And thanks Glass for posting the links on Francis Brunn (RIP). I love reading about the true professionals, and the interviews were inspirational and relevant to this thread. It was also heartening to see he dabbled in Indian Clubs at one time biggrin

Chill

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
well everyone else has chimed in so...

Two things; One: I've travelled to a lot of places, met a lot of spinners. And I can say that the best spinners i've met have mostly been HOPers - or existing in scenes that draw / contribute to HOP.

Two: This concept of the master twirler who doesnt twirl except at super secret local meets or in her own home is useless. It just makes ppl angry. Its unverifiable and will remain so by definition. forget it.

would you guys get angry if I told you I knew a bloke who had been twirling fulltime for 20 years and is deadset the best in the world, but he doesnt teach anyone? why does it make a difference to you that I've made this claim?

Guys forget about other people's skills, the only thing that matters is that through practice you can be better than you were yesterday. Do you think you are wasting time if you arent learning 'new' moves every week?

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thats only cuz we know our destination in life...

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Really? Sh1t I don't know where I am tomorrow! Oh yeah I do...spinning ubbrollsmile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I gotta just say... even with the heatedness of this thread at points... I've gotten a TON out of it and am thankful to all who've contributed.

This is the kind of conversation that KEEPS me at HoP and challenges the way I think.

Love to all the tech boyz.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
word.. that's what I saw the point to be.. not old farts and newbie messiahs arguing... but rather content.. not context..

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
i think we should make it an anual thing ubblol where u start an argument and get over it and then the rest of the year is cool cause everone has let off steam smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I sure got some of the older people to start posting.. and we are having a good discussion about poi on the other threads.. which is a pleasent change as well..

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Strangely enough, this thread made me pick up a set of poi for the first time in a couple of years...

(That and the blisters on my hands from too much staff smile )

monkeys ate my brain

Page: