KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
mad mad mad mad I am sooo angry! mad mad mad mad

Some shiester crew from Kansas called Urban Fire Tribe have TOTALLY ripped off the text from our website and put it on thiers!

They've also used photos of The Flaming Butterflys on their Gallery section....

I can't believe it!

Does anyone know these disrespectful bunch of (self-moderated by Knoxious)?

If you do: tell them to take it down and make up their own stuff...

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! mad

Is it HOP PC (Home Of Poi Politically Correct) to get you guys to e-mail them and tell them how bloody rude they are?

Unhappy Dave ubbcrying

ps big thanks to the anonymous person who e-mailed me the tip off... kiss

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ps I'd like to thank the anonymous person who e-mailed me the tip off...

HoP has a rat.... ubblol

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I have just e-mailed them asking if they have permission to put them up on their site from the flaming butterflies.

If they have permission then there is nothing you can do about it, if they don't then my suggestion would be to notify the flaming butterflies about the blatant disrespect.

I do agree with you though...it is pretty sad that they can't even use something original and have to take someone elses performance and claim it as their own.

I also noted that they didn't make any note near those photos as to who the real performers inthe photos were.

EDITED_BY: Medusa (1079419684)

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
I know The Butterflys, and no they haven't given permission....
still grrrrrrr

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Dave thats not cool . Maybe they need to copy you cause they cant come up with anything original like your troup .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Then you need to contact the Flaming Butterflies and get them onto it because it is essentially their art work that these people are using.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Oh my god that is the lowest thing I have heard of in a lonnnnggg while

I have just checked out the site and here is the email

urbantribe@earthlink.net

the phone numbers are

Tel: 913.706.5745

I have emailed them and expressed my disgust at their theft.

I have sent you a copy of what I wrote hun....

I hope you dont mind I just got really angry and felt really protective of you guys. mad mad

EDITED_BY: Valura (1079425948)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
right ill get onto it today as well, cos it really annoys me when ppl rip from sites, and use stuff illegally!

i prmose ill send them an email today, and bcc it to you dave

laterdays hug

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
They seem to have updated the site with an apology and reason - all seems like an honest (ish) misake...

Share the love people wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Nice appology...if what they say is true then it was just some other bugger trying to stirr it up....and very successfully too!

Keep the peace.....lurve thy neighbour and always return the lawn mower when you're finished with it.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
a lil to late me thinks!

they should not have it on eth web in such a way if they didnt mean to have it public i think, there are many easier ways to have it reviewed by ppl, even in a log in area, like most of us do for sensitive idea work! mad

GRR stupid ppl doing stupid thing, for stupid reasons cos they are stupid!

Step (el-nombrie)

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
I agree...

Why didnt they just put a simple bit of html in the code...

Im a complete numb when it comes to computers, and i think i could even get a password sorted so that u couldnt enter the site..

Would this be the wrong place to say that i like the Half ball with fire?

Maybe i should have it as my avatar! now that would be funny!

passing through, this world still lives.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
in response to my email

Valura,
Our website is not even up yet . . . the only site we have available is a test web site. We are playing with ideas and wording, which is why we do not have it posted live on any search engines or anything yet. How did you find the address to the test site?
I was just like....
"I dunno" I didnt want to get anyone into trouble...

Plus the public apologie...

PUBLIC NOTICE: THIS IS AN assessment SITE ONLY AND IS NOT MEANT TO BE REPRESENTATIVE OF OUR FINAL SITE WHICH WILL BE POSTED TO A PUBLIC WORLD WIDE WEB LOCATION. THE INFORMATION POSTED ON THIS SITE IS MERELY A COLLECTION OF potential IDEAS - MEANT FOR THE DEVELOPERS AND MEMBERS OF URBAN TRIBE!!! NEVER THE LESS, IT APPEARS AS IF THE ADDRESS TO THIS SITE HAS BEEN LEAKED (APPARENTLY OUT OF MALICE) TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. WE DO PUBLIC APOLOGIZE IF WE HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE, AS THIS WAS NOT OUR INTENT.

I think that its a good thing that they apologised ... Shows they care huh

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Ok...

So I am a bit more chilled now... I have recieved an apology from UFT and they have brought their site down.

For the record I don't think their site was e-mailed to me out of malice. I think someone stumbled across it and noticed the distinct similarities between theirs and ours.
UFT claim that it's an 'assessment site' and not thier final version - that's cool but as far as I am concerned the web is a public domain and therefore anyone can view what is placed on it (be it by accident or by reference) and therefore make a judgement based on that. There are ways to put stuff on the net and not have it publicly viewed and UFT hadn't made that the case.

I still feel it's wrong to take text or images from another source and credit it as your own if it blatantly isn't.

But all seems to be cool and the world keeps spinning peace

Thanks for the support and e-mails guys smile beerchug
xd

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
well atleast they didnt steal ur promo video ..... i guess thats cos they couldnt download it wink

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As a sign of sympaty and fraternity I hereby vow to never set foot in the state of Kansas.

Or Missouri. Just to be safe.

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

As a sign of sympaty and fraternity I hereby vow to never set foot in the state of Kansas.

Or Missouri. Just to be safe.

smile

hmm NYC didnt missouri and Kansas both ban YOU from setting foot in them a while back, and in face didnt New York ban you as well?

Step (el-nombrie)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, if it was a test and ideas then why was it on the net at all? That is just plain ignorant in my opinion. Also, why would you have other people's material on your test site? To get ideas? That is the wrong way of going about it because it is still copyright infringement. The idea is to use other people's stuff as inspiration and then use your own to lay it all out. Even with the apology it seems shady. I hate to say it. However, what's done is done, and it's over (hopefully) so happy fuzzies all around.

I also have to say, this is really common unfortunately. I know I have received emails about it frequently. There is some way to code things so they can not be "stolen", correct? (Remember: Pele= Techno Idiot) If so, then my advice to anyone creating a website in the future is to definately do that for protection, as well as when someone does "borrow" your images, remind them politely of the litigious consequences of copyright infringement.

And, technically I think NYC has been banned from about 49 of the 50 States, not to mention Canada and Mexico. However, he has used his chemistry brilliance with his new found performance art experience to be a master of disguise. Watch out HoPpers, you think the whole website copying is scary, wait till you see NYC dressed up like you!!!!! tongue

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The next time you rob a bank try this:

"No, no your honor, that was only a TEST run. It was an ASSESMENT of a POTENTIAL robbery. It was only intented to involve a few of us and we had no intent for other people in the bank to see us robbing it. See someone maliciously told on us before we could put all the money BACK in the vault which we took it from."

Naw... I'm only playin'... though it is a bit fishy that they'd even do that in the first place.

Though speaking of similar sites, anybody but me starting to notice how similar www.homeofpoi.com and www.juggling.co.nz are becoming? I think they may be copying us. LET'S GET EM!!! wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubbtickled

wink

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Well if you put it like that... you can go with just a slap on the wrists... rolleyes

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Knox... I truely believe that the sadest point (and you know I wouldn't aim this as a dig at you) is that because of others copying you great site you no longer feel safe or free to have the link to flame oz as your sig... please Knox... don't allow one bad apple to ruin it for all the rest of us... I enjoy your site and your downloads, please return the link to this board... beerchug hug

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How many times have you had your stuff coppied now Monsieur le Knoxious?

ubblol

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
the site doesnt seem to exist any more!!

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
thats because this thread was made in 2004 wink

and perhaps they were shamed into closing it when they wer ecaught out.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley