Forums > Social Chat > computer monitor color help

Login/Join to Participate

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
My computer monitor has decided to go all wacky on me. The other day, I know I messed with some adobe gamma settings both inside a game and in the control panel. I did this because the monitor became extremely dim for some unknown reason. I tried adjusting the contrast and brightness settings of the monitor itself, but that did not do much for making my screen brighter. I also noticed that when I opened up a picture in photoshop, it was severly tinted magenta. This was just before I changed the adobe gamma settings in hopes of finding a solution.

Well, nothing seems to be working. My monitor is currently set so that the background image is extrememly dark yet any Outlook e-mail page is super bright. If I adjust the monitor settings for one thing, the next thing I look at is totally off. For instance, if I make my background look like it did last week, then my e-mail screen is way too bright. If I make my e-mail screen dimmer (adjusting both contrast and brightness), I make my background screen extremely dark and dim.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? confused

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
My firey friend, the fact that something is too bright and something is too dim on your monitor could well mean that your gamma ramp has been messed up by some game/app. If this is the case, reinstalling drivers will not help. Talcum powder will not help either as it makes me sneeze. Snot and graphics accelerators does not a good mix make!
The fix involves defaulting your gamma ramp graph/settings in your desktop > display properties > settings (tab) > advanced (btn) > your monitor’s brand (btn usually) > gamma ramp.
If you still can’t find joy, spritie pls post your video card model ‘ere and me can help more..

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Ok, I just tried that, but I see no gamma ramp at the end...I have the options to troubleshoot from there or to do stuff with my drivers...

So, seeing as how I am PC illiterate, how do I find out what my video card model is? Would GeForce2MX 100/200 make sense? It's one of the tabs I get somewhere along that process?

Thank you!!! hug

6,978 posts

Posted:
cool, ima familiar with Nvidia gfx hardware/detontator drivers...
if you have a recentish set of drivers, (as in version ~43ish detonator gfx drivers) then your version of the drivers should have a button what accesses a small graph when you click your [advanced] > [Nvidia display options] menu items.

your 'gamma ramp' settings are likely stuffed and resetting it to defaults will set it back to smooth colour gradients (a straight line) instead of corrupted values (a big squiggly graph.)
plz just spend some time exploring every menu item until you find said graph... peace

(please note that if this thread suddenly disappears, plz look for it in the 'help' section)

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Oops! sorry for misplacing the thread.

I think I finally managed to find said graph, but it was a straight line (diagonally). I hit restore defaults, but that didn't really change anything at all ubbcrying Do I need to restart my machine for the new settings to take effect?

You are also talking sorta greek to me, so I really have no clue what version of the driver I have. Where would I find that just to make sure I've gotten to the right place...it was somewhere off the vid. card tab in advanced display that I found a graph.

6,978 posts

Posted:
erm sadly, there are a whole bunch of brightness setttings in nvidia gfx cards.
the ones that may help if you tweak them are master gamma, video gamma, master brightness, master contrast.

also, adobe has it's own gamma settings that can clash with your nvidia gfx card's gamma settings. It is hard to determine from where i am just which program is buggering up your brightness/gamma levels. You mentioned that you adjuseted your adobe gamma levels in an attempt to fix the prob - perhaps it is a good time to set adobe brightness/contrast/gamma levels to something more even/brighter.

we know that your monitor has worked properly before with your current drivers, so it's not an upgrading issue.

beerchug

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Uhm, actually, I think my computer might have upgraded something driver related about the same time I started having problems. I did a windows update and it also updated something Nvidia related.

Where would I go to find a bunch of different Nvdia options? I haven't encountered nearly as many as you mentioned. I can adjust the digital vibrance, brightness, contrast, and gamma.

I also have the option of changing my default monitor profile in adboce gamma, but I can't seem to figure out which one is the original of those either.

6,978 posts

Posted:
erm how long was it between the windows/ driver updates and the first occurence of the brightness issue?
/beginning to clutch are straws smile

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
hiya

my 2c.

I'm not familiar with changing gamma settings via software so I'll leave that well alone.

.KIS - you don't happen to have another monitor around do you? If you do -;: swap and see if you still have problems.

.KIS - its unlikely in this case, but give the cable that links your monitor to your computer a wiggle at both ends while looking at the screen. Check the cable for any bad twists or kinks.

.sounds like it wasn't adobe gamma correction, but reset/default it so you _know_ it's not interfering

.change your video drivers to the windows drivers (generic if need be), download the latest drivers from nvidia or the card manufacturer (full drivers not updates), install and use these drivers.

after that all I can think of is:
.list (in detail) exactly what was updated and what was changed and in what order. .Describe the effect of each of these changes frown

peace

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Sprirtie has my LED monitor stored at her place. she has my permission to try it and see.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Thanks, vanize. I'll try connecting it this evening. Is there anything special I would need to do for it? I know mine came with an installation disk, and I don't think I have that for yours.

hug kiss to bender for all your help! After doing the windows update thing (which is what the Nvidia update got loaded along with) I think it was the next day before I even opened anything else, so I can't be entirely certain that was or was not the culprit. I'll try looking at stuff again this evening after work.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
It should work strait away. the installation disks are there so you can use special features and all that, which isn't your concern right now. Just connect the monitor jack, plug it in, and turn it on. If everything looks the same as it did with the other monitor, then your monitor is fine and you need to figure out the stuff Bender is talking about. If it looks fine, or at least significantly different from the other monitor (since you have been messing with the controls and such), then most likely it is the monitor is going haywire on you.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!