Page:
The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
well i was thinking that the reason the last HoP day wasnt as good as it could have been was because it was thought up with like 2 weeks to get things organised.
So this year i thought if we could get the ball rolling, we could make a better go of things!

so first things first:
where are the central meeting points?
London?
Sheffield?
Sydney?
who's got suggestions?

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
post moved to new thread smile
EDITED_BY: Custom Bug (1093434241)

Let's relight this forum ubblove

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
so can someone give me a summary of where we stand on this?

So far I can decifer that on October 30 something is happening somewhere in the UK.

I want to come, but don't know what I'm coming to. Does anyone?

Sorry for not reading everything in this thread, but I get the impression there is no true concensus yet anyway?

Custom Bug: I'm all for your vision of things - as long as there is space outside to burn stuff!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oooh yes, we'd dare not do otherwise ubbrollsmile I think one meet would be better seeing as the yoo kay ain't really that big by car especially if we're in the middle-ish somewhere like Sheffield that's easy to get to by car/train/monkey bike/teleportation etc. But of course only if everyone is up for it and can make it

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
well if you were gonna have a big weekender 30th October might be the only time i could do it. trouble is i think that for HOP Day/the Spherecular ball we've all been looking at an event that's spread over multiple locations so is easy for as many peeps as possile to get too. you're marquee idea does sound lovely, but seems like it would be more of a private event...

i dunno, i'll go with what evryone else thinks..... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
From looking at the rest of this thread it seems that 3 meets have already been provisionally arranged for the uk alone (london, midlands, scotland) plus the posibility of something in ireland. (nice one firepoise clap)
I am trying to get another together for the southwest (maybe bristol-exeter area?) but perhaps we should all just go to one of the others. confused
IMHO If we have one central meet we might get 150 people max, if we have 4 or 5 we might get 100 at each event! especially if (as discussed on spherc) we advertise it out in 'The real world' with flyers posted at parks, in cafés, etc. that way we would reach alot of people who do a bit and might like to do more but who don't post on these forums. I think those people would be unlikely to travel large distances but might go to something regional.
[End of essay wink]
Something BIG would be cool though, agreed cool
But maby not this time.

On a different note this all seems quite UK oriented so far, aren't there any foreigners in here? umm

Mags - watching police torches drawing closer - runs over to his poi:
"Maybe now would be a good time to have another burn, we might not get another chance..."

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Anyone for Falmouth III on HOP day??

bounce

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Nah, i think all the Brits should get off their arses and all meet at the same place. Damn it, i'll travel to wherever i'm told. Sheffield looks central on the map.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I'd try to arrange something around Berlin, but it'll be too cold by then for outdoor stuff!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm easy really. I live in the middle so Midlands/Bristol/Sheffield/London is all within reach.

With regard to the big event, it'll happen anyway regardless of this and would be nice to have more than 2 months to organise it but I'm easy smile If the people want it I'll deliver it, if not I'll happily help out with everything else going on smile

One thing tho is that I think we need to decide reasonably soon, otherwise we'll be just talking and not doing for ages. I'm happy to poster places for local meets although no spinners actually live within poster range! rolleyes

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Personally I think it would be awesome to have your huge meet in Summer Bug. It would be really cool if we could just take over a camp site for a weekend and do this. I don't fancy camping out at the end of oct!

A snowboarding forum I'm on does the same thing at Tamworth every summer; it's always a huge success smile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's a good point, it will be a bit cold for camping out in late October!

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
So where in Sydney would work well?? Any Sydney Twirlies want to nominate somewhere? I will try to get my Canberra bunch together in Sydney when it is all decided biggrin
Weeeeeee! Fire!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
I really think different areas need different threads or this is just going to get confusing. Different countries at least! ubbloco

I need opinions from SWUK peeps so I'm off to start a poll.

If no-one in Eveish's area views this thread for a while it will get lost in the melée.

And we really need to start discussing on the same forum too.

Discussions on spherculism seem to be going in different directions to here.

grouphug -- umm -- grouphug

Spherculism already have a section set up for these threads so maybe it would make sense to do it there. shrug

"Maybe now would be a good time to have another burn, we might not get another chance..."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok one big event ain't gonna happen this year....but it will next year so keep your eyes peeled folks for the best spinners convention you've ever been to biggrin

And I agree stone, if everyone goes HERE it will make life a lot easier to organise things!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
good plan StoneT. i'm just gonna talk to peeps in Sheffield b4 i start a midlands thread though....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Caveat: Jetlag still. Also 7.30am...

This being the only thread i can find mentioning 30th Oct with a possibility of a london area, i thought I'd post on it.

Can someone tell me which meets are on on the 30th Oct? Is there one organised for London?

*must play with fire, must play with fire.....

Lynne

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Yup cool
There's going to be one in Brighton,
Follow the link a few posts up to spherculism (your already a member aren't you?) look for 'South east meet...' Express your interest there so poips will know what's happening.
Looks like it will be very cool! bounce bounce2

Page: