Page:
zoeymember
7 posts

Posted:
I've got a question for anybody that knows an anwser. I live in California, and I've heard that poi are illigal. a felonay at that. they are concidered a chain weapon? I dunno something to that extent. does anybody out there know anything about that?

A beautyschool dropout that spins fire...who would have thought?

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Yes, Nokomis, my bad smile all ok now I hope.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
My friends and I have been having trouble with some of the local police on the beaches also. (in San Diego) We spun fire all summer long, and just recently this problem has arisen. Instead of sitting around complaining about it my, friends and I have been trying to generate ideas to solve the problem. We have come up with a few, and were going to go to the San Diego city counsel, or the proper government agency to try to come to a comprimise. We are in the brainstorm level so any imput would be apperciated. Some of the ideas we have come up with are:Seeing if we use cable instead of chain would make a diffrenceDrawing a petition Seeing about the possibility of registering or purchasing a permit from the city to spinThe possibility of getting a designated area of the beach to spin (like dog beach)These are the ideas we have to start with. You can't beat the system, but if we demonstrate our intent to practice the art, and not use our equipment as a weapons, and if we show that we are willing to come to some kind of agreement, we may be abe to find a comprimise. I think this is the best rout to take, and if any other people near San Diego would like to help, mabey we can organise a meeting.

later - Smilee

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
After My problem at Fiesta Island, I started thinking about how I could spin fire and still stay out of legal trouble. One of the things I was thinking of was getting a small business license as a street performer and they aren't very expensive from what I've heard. I'm not sure if you would need to get a seperate fire permit because I haven't followed through with it. I've seen people juggling fire and swords at Balboa Park without any hassle from the police so I don't see how fire or weapons are really an issue. It's probably worth looking into.

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
We should meet up to discuss this issue. Go to the "How many san diego spinners are there" thread. They are discussing meetings.

later - Smilee

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I was just at Fiesta Island spinning Fire... no problem there was about 7:40 to 8:10 didn't even see a cop car.

Kinudin

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
oh i dont know fellow UK peep but we have ALOT of trouble up north with the police and fire. We used to fire juggle quite a lot until the fire police fined us and were banned from a couple of parks. GITS!

But we've gone onto other things now, but still getting hassle. And no, we dont throw them in people's faces, completly safe.

Oh and get this, in town theres a guy whose allowed to do devilsticks (although he just says "and now i'll do this..." without actually doing anything.. EVER!) but we're not allowed to even bloody majorette.

NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL aka BIG BROTHER!

grr..

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I've known people who have had trouble carrying fire equipment around due to the fact that it could

be used as a lethal weapon.

[garbo]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Hey, well as a person living in San Diego I would like to put my two cents in. I would do just about anything to prevent sum po po from makeing spinning illeagle. Even though I cant vote in this state I will do just about anything to help out. SO tell me what you need done and I will do my best to support!!

Damn I think alittle bit of Scott broke through on that one *makes mental note!*

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
Heyla,

So far my mom and I have been asked by the lions club in our area to actually light up for our neigborhoods halloween haunted hayride. We intend to go to the fire marshall and light up for him just to make sure

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Just spin... i'm so tired of dealing with athoritys.. Even when you know the laws for what you do they don't give two s**ts.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm in Ann Arbor. A few weeks ago, we were having a party at my place and I was spinning fire on the sidewalk out front and a cop car drove up. I thought about it really quickly and decided that I didn' t have an open fire (they're just torches) and that I was sober. Hence, I was doing nothing illegal and there was no reason for me to stop my performance.

Well, the cop got out of his car and just stood there while I kept playing. I finished, people applauded, and then the cop walked up to me and said "Listen, I'm really not supposed to say this...but can you do that again?"

I was happy to...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The cops in AA are usually pretty cool.. one of the things i loved about bein' there.

I wouldn't want to get invloved with the fuzz here, one of em's my track coach, but otherwise they haev this tendency to harrass anyone out of the norm.....

And my lovely high school has ruled that poi=hacky sack, so obviously poi are illegal. not kidding, that's their reasoning.... *shakes head*

at least i still have the courtyard. A lot of people who are used to watching me during study hall miss me too.

and poi != hackey sack!!!!!!!!!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Airsick Mothmember
26 posts

Posted:
Twirling in a park once the coughpigscough rocked up, just as i stopped spinning, flashed their torches over the kero and the poi, looked at me and my mates and sed
"whats the kero for?"
"fire twirling"
"...?"
showing them the poi they kinda eased up
"so what do you do with them?"
"spin them on fire"
"well... people over there are complainig... do it somewhere else." and they pretty much waltzed off.

other than that, i was told off for having kero on public transport, and my school believe that practice poi are possible weapons and have ruled them out...

fools.

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
where we spin on a weekly basis is right in the middle of town, right in the middle of a courtyard / walkway kind of place, and we've never had any trouble! theres drunk people stumbling out of clubs and cafes and little kids running around, and only sometimes is there only one barrier up, but we NEVER have any trouble! And theres a cop station about 30 metres away, with the front window facing us. Infact, its the best window to look at if you want to see what youre doing...
they sometimes watch for a bit, but usually they waltz on past, like we're not there.
I cant complain.....

Fire... A bushmans telly

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hey, Kyrian,

What's so illegal about hackey sack?

Sometimes I can't help but think that there is some vast conspiracy to outlaw fun.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Just like to add my two cents

The juggling club at my college uses fire torches on a fairly regular basis and has never had problems, though at offical school events they arn't allowed to do so.

But last night, at a fairly big rave, I got my glowsticks and strings taken from me before I could even use them, something about how I could hit somebody in the eye and that they're against security policy. Which seems like total crap to me, I was out of the way like I always am. I never thought I'd see the day where glowstick poi was illegal at a rave. depressing.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol, i dunno. I mean, at least hackey sacks can fly off and hit people. as always seems to happen evetually. my poi don't leave my personal space......

but cards are illegal in the school too so i woulnd't try to hard to figure them admin's out....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Page: