Page:
TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've just been browsing through the shop and I noticed the giant monkeyfist poi are no longer for sale frown
I was planning to buy some of them when I get to New Zealand in February. Oh well, I'll have to come up with another way of getting suitably sized poi instead.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Make some giant cathedral wicks. wink

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
or get some kevlar rope and use this site to learn how to tie a monkey fist. practice on normal rope first though.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Maybe Malcolm'd make them for you if you asked? confused
If he does let me know cause I want some too... cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I've already got some large cathedral wicks but they're getting a bit tattered now, I wanted something a bit different really.

I can also tie a monkeyfist already, but I just don't trust myself to make fire poi out of them, there are too many bits to go wrong. A staff I'm fine with making, just not poi at the moment. I may have to go for this option though I suppose.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Why don't you talk to Matthew BM. He made me some HUUUUGE ones eek they scare the hell outtta me though...... not that that stops me playin with them wink I just have to get a Small Boy to take over for ten mins half way through the burn biggrin

Bammy
ubblove

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I had a play with some of Matthew's rather large fiery balls the other week at clapham and thought they were fantastic. To paraphrase simon - 'It was like a bovrilmonkey binary solar system'

Unfortunately, I need them unburnt for when I jet off to New Zealand and then to Australia to make sure they'd get through customs and whatnot with no problems, and if I got any now, I don't think I'd be able to resist the tempation of burning them at least once biggrin

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
surely you'd prefer a nice set of [Old link]?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Ooo, I would love a set of them, they looked really nice when I saw them being spun in clapham.
In fact, if I wasn't leaving the country soonish, I'd have stolen that design already wink

The only problem is that the possibility of maintenance 6 months down the line doesn't hold that much appeal since I don't really have any idea where I'll be or what access to tools I'll have when they need sorting out.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Yeah, so why aren't the giant monkey fists available anymore?

I don't know that the smaller monkeyfists are really worth my money. I don't think they will look any cooler than my Adam Rice cathedrals, which are decent sized, and look better than some of the local fire poi performers in area. Not all of course, but I've seen a good handful of twirlers around here recently who are using small tube core wicks that just look weenie. No girth to the flame! Nice and bright, but small! Adam makes some bigger sizes of cathedrals, but I kinda wanted to check out the giant Monkeyfists!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

The only problem is that the possibility of maintenance 6 months down the line doesn't hold that much appeal since I don't really have any idea where I'll be or what access to tools I'll have when they need sorting out.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of having to replace the rope just a few months down the road! Has anyone tried making a flexible sleeve that could go over the ball chain and hard ware? It would consist of kevlar wrapped around the chain, so that when it burned out and the cathedral heads still burning, they would be flexible enough to do wraps and such, but still shield you from the scrathes and burns from the hard ware!

Just a thought.

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Have a look in [Old link] for something like that.
They're very nice indeed.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Have a look in [Old link] for something like that.
They're very nice indeed.

Are you refering to the Flid design? I was saying sleeves that covered the chain and hardware might be superior to the flid design out of the lack of maintenance needed. Once that rope starts to go, it really isn't safe to spin them anymore. If my sleeve idea worked, than even when the sleeves wore out, you would still have a traditional set of chains underneath!

I didn't search through the entire thread though, so if someone discusses that in the thread you linked, then sorry, lol.

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think I misunderstood your post then, that was just a link to the flids smile

Hmm, that's true, a kevlar sheath would be a pretty cool idea.
How well would large diameter braided rope work? I reckon you could probably hollow it out enough to thread ballchain through.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I wouldn't use a flaming kevlar sleeve around a chain if I were you, at least, not ballchain. If you've done numerous burns with ballchain, you'll see that the part of the chain closest to your head is warn a lot more than the rest of the chain. If you have a flaming sleeve around the ballchain, which would result in temperatures and flames much higher/closer to your chain, your ballchain, and possibly other types of chain, will wear quite quickly. An idea might be to put some sort of heat resistant material between the kevlar and the chain, however I think it'd still get pretty darned hot.

Just an idea to keep in mind.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
those normal monkey fists are pathetic! I haven't seen them in use but if they're only 2 1/2 inch wide I can't imagine them to be any brighter than my 3 inch by 5 inch tube style poi which also have a cotton core.. I think a campaign to get those giant monkey fists back on sale is in order...
I'll start with a bombardment of e-mails to Malcolm

progger

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
If Malcolm chooses not to sell them, I can custom build monkey fist wicks for anyone that wants a set. I've been considering making a set for myself. They wouldn't be cheap though.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Quote:

those normal monkey fists are pathetic!

eek
I feel I should point out for anyone who's not used a pair (like yourself) that they are actually really nice. Very nice flame size and shape. Very long burn.

I mailed Malcolm before to see if I could buy a giant pair off him and he said he didn't want to sell them anymore because there was a lot of returns. I presume it's from the forces at work on them from their weight.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Quote:

those normal monkey fists are pathetic! I haven't seen them in use but if they're only 2 1/2 inch wide I can't imagine them to be any brighter than my 3 inch by 5 inch tube style poi which also have a cotton core.. I think a campaign to get those giant monkey fists back on sale is in order...
I'll start with a bombardment of e-mails to Malcolm

your an idiot....their a little bit bigger than beamers..they burn for at least 5 minutes keep an even flame the entire time and they dont have any exposed metal.....tube core suck
the only good i made of them was taking them apart and making fire staff heads from the wick
tube core have a really crappy burn time and they DONT look good.........on the topic of the bigger monkies.....its not returns so much but not many people are strong enough to be able to spin them for a full burn!
try spinnin a 1.5 pound weight at the end of your chains......u could break your ballchain if its the smaller size
also, the bigger monkies would fly off the chain from time to time....this happened to me once at a gig....ended up with a wick...flying off....at the crowd...and landing in a parking lot....if it went underneath a gas tank who knows what would have happened, or if it hit somebody and made them catch on fire....if you just want big wicks get some 4 inch kevlar....and make some uber huge cathedrals....
and as a final note...dont say things about what you havent even SEEN before mad spank

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Woah down boy you two are just feeding each others fire. Size and shape is an amazing thing. Yes the small monkeysfists may seem pathetic, but they have a large surface area to weight ratio. I personally use the uber 4" that Darkpoet mentioned, but I like the weight. My largest poi weigh about 3.5lb fuelled up. I'll post a pic soon, but there not for everyone. Malcom should sell the large monkeysfists with a warning and a non returnable disclaimer. If your poi head is getting too heavy, use welded link chain, ball chain is only good to a point.

Relax and keep the "pathetic" and "Idiot" usage to a minimum. smile peace

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Relax and keep the "pathetic" and "Idiot" usage to a minimum. smile peace

werd peace

It's all in yer style/preferences...either is just as good as another, tho I would love to see the large monkey fists back on here because they suit my style wink

Malcolm?!? Any chances?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
just thought Id say that I was basing my dislike of the small monkeys on the size that it says in the shop (2.5 inch diameter?) since my poi are bigger (+ not tubecore just tube shaped and full of cotton) I would have thought they'd be brighter but yeah they probly look pretty decent cos their round an' all ubbrollsmile Thats pretty much the main reason I want some but I dont wanna cop out and go for the smaller ones if ya see what Im saying here... its always best to go big biggrin hmm might get some after all i'll see what happens oh and Malcolm's given me a better idea on how I'd make some

progger

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
P.S. no, you're an idiot wink

progger

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
look......only way your really going to understand is if you use a pair....so why dont you just buy some or find a friend that has a pair of monkies...then you understand

the 2 best wick heads are cathedrals and monkies

they have consistant burn times, they're both good size flames, and the weight is just right once you get used to it.....so try a pair....

Quote:

My largest poi weigh about 3.5lb fuelled up.

holy s#it!!!!!!

..........how do you have them folded? like...are they monkies or cathedrals....i was thinkin about using sometin this heavy for the pair of clubs im making...or for meteors..since more weight+metors=mad fun ubbloco

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
None of the above tongue Lemmie get my scanner working and I'll post them, Think paradigm shift. wink

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
There I posted it to my gallery. It's hollow with wicking on the outside. Major surface area ubbloco

Cody Canon

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
eek
ok you insane girl
whats the fire cannon ball made out of ??
ubbloco

progger

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Well I am of the male persuasion (bad picture I know) and they are made of stainless steel salad bowls using a long eyebolt then wire the wicking through holes. BIG FIRE.

(look at the other picture in my gallery, I'm a man man baby) wink

Cody Canon

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
sound boy, my mistake, doedsn't make you any less insane though.. those poi are totally awesome Id love to have a go

progger

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Well if your ever in Reno or at Burningman that could be arranged. wink

Back to monkeys fist poi, I had an idea inspired from the Canon balls. Using 1" or larger diameter kevlar roap one can make a 4wrap or even more monkeys fist arround a hollow center. The center would attempt to take up space to increase surface area while not increasing the weight. Of course there are many other factors to consider and these have the potential to be hugh, So I'll toss this idea out and see whart develops. ubbloco

Cody Canon

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
*turns to the HOPer beside her and whispers--"whats a monkey fist??"*

then runs away from sheer imbarresment ubbcrying ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

Page: