caz86Twister Fire Starter ridin on a tratter
156 posts

Posted:
I've been learnin poi just a few days now and I can pull off butterfly, alternate butterfly n reverse butterfly. I'm trying to weave but I can't get my head around it! Can someone un-confuse me please!

Caz x

Caz

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
nope, sorry
what i find good for begining is that you spin your right poi once then ceeping your left poi at your side cross your right poi over your body then spin once, on the second spin of that arm as it begins you pull you left poi up over it and across your body to you right side then spin once, as you cross your left poi over to you right side continue with the spin of your right poi.

keep doing this untill your good at it then do it but this time bring your right arm that is at your left side back to your right, by then your left poi shuold be just about to do its second spin, before it does spin your right poi under it.

keep doing this and you should have it if iv'e explained it right.

iv'e probably just confused everyone now so i'll shut up.

and for backwards weave i think you just do it but in the opersit direction, or you could...

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

156 posts

Posted:
Thanx I'm starting to get my head round it a bit. Theres some good diagrams on firechains.com

Caz

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Find someone who can do it and hassle them and watch. Then practice.

The girl who taught me started by putting both hands in front as fists then put the right over the left and scooped it so the fingers face up the scooped the left over the right. Now that doesnt even make sense to me.

Seriously, I find it difficult enough to learn in person, but even with the fab videos it is hard to learn from the computer. I mean how many of us have big enough rooms where we can see the screen and practice.

Took me ages to get the weave and then the reverse was harder and I always have to teach one hand then the other. Everyone has thier own syle of taching and learning but it will come to you and its the BEST feeling.

One workshop I went to taught the weave as the first up move and used clubs instead of poi so no tangle and less body hits. These people could weave but not transition from a forward swing to reverse.

keep on twirling

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Get some sock poi and swing them around 'till they feel right. It is very, very difficult to describe what you should be doing. You'll soon be able to pull off a single beat, and it'll instinctively feel right to you, then add more and more beats. Just don't think about it too much.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

156 posts

Posted:
Yey I cracked it about 12am last night. It feels sooo nice. Took me a good coupla hours reading different decriptions tho. Thanx guys!

Caz

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Yay. Well done

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

1,972 posts

Posted:
well done

earlyer on i had an idea, i thought (and i don't know if this is already a move or not) why not do the weave with doubble staff so i tryed and within a few muinits i had the basics, and now i'm quite good. it's fun you should (if you havn't already done it) try it, it's probably already a move tho.

1,972 posts

Posted:
sorry, earlier

156 posts

Posted:
Right I've been thinking. I can weave pretty well now but I don't have a clue how many beats it is. So could someone explain it please. I've searched the archive but can't understand nething. Apologies for my own stupidity!!

Caz

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Some people ::coughcolemancough:: will tell you that beats are dead.

But I'll tell you to count the number of circles each poi does. You'll notice that in a "3 beat" weave, each poi does one circle on its own side and two circles on the opposite side (total = 3 circles per poi, or 3 circles per side). (That's 6 circles total, which is possibly a better way of thinking of it. ::shrug:

E pluribus unum, baby.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
beats happen on a down swing for forward spinning and the upswing for backward.

a forward 3 beat weave has 3 downbeats on each side: 1 - backhand poi (eg, the right hand crossing over to the left side) bottoms out after crossing over, 2 - forehand poi bottoms out on its side (eg, left hand on left side), 3 - backhand poi puts in final down beat. the next beat is the forhand crossing over and becoming the 1 beat of the backhand on the opposite side.

count the beats at the top of the swing for the reverse weave.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh no.. we're not going to get into the "top of the circle vs. the bottom of the circle" debate again.

Where you start your circle is opinion. Don't let anyone else convince you otherwise.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
not trying to re-start any old arguments, just suggesting what logicaly works for me. there are as many ways to descibe moves as people who do them (which is why you don't see me posting to too many threads about moves/tricks - get way too confused).

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

(for regyt's cough )

this is how i used to count moves using beats.

seemed to work well for a while

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FireShannon2003member
2 posts

Posted:
So hard to describe in writing...i think of it as "over, under, out". Each poi/hand(if u do it in the air to feel it) is over the other, then under the other than out to the other side of your body and repeat. Reverse is tricky--took me forever to get the feel, but your wrists stay in the same position...inside of your wrist is almost locked together until u throw the poi "out" to the other side of your body. Reverse weave is perhaps the most important move to learn for smooth transitions and flow from one direction to other or from one move to the other. Keep pluggin and good luck!!

[ 11. November 2003, 19:02: Message edited by: FireShannon2003 ]