Forums > Technical Discussion > weight load limit on quicklinks

Login/Join to Participate

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
How important is the weight load limit on the quicklinks used in fire poi? I know for ball chain, it's important to use a strength of 90-120 pounds, so one would think quicklinks should be similarly rugged. I've been having a really hard time finding triangle quicklinks for handles, and I finally did on a small hardware supply website, but they have a conservative WLL of 40 lbs - is that way too low? Or do ball chain and quick links have different standards? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
Hi alleykat,

I would think that if you have a large enough quicklink, that 40lbs sound very low. zinc-plated steel oval quicklinks are typically 220lbs. Do you know what metal your quicklink is, and the diameter?

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
The quicklinks I'm looking at are steel, made from 3mm diameter barstock. It doesn't look any smaller than the links on the handles HOP sells, which is why I'm confused, but it's hard to tell just from pictures. To see for yourself, go to https://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/ss3tql.html

Any ideas for where I can find some sturdier triangle quicklinks?

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Is there a specific reason you are looking for triangular ones? I have always used the standard quick links (seen here) and have never had a problem with them breaking or even coming remotely close to breaking, even with 6 inch wicks on the ends of them.

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
I suppose because they seem better for the handles I like - double loop nylon - and they have less bulk for when I wrap the chains around my hands to shorten them because the flat side fits the straps perfectly. In my experience they bunch on a regular quick link. I suppose d-ring links would also work well, but I haven't had much luck finding those, either.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Have you considered putting a grommet through your handles? That is how I connect mine, and there has never been any bunching.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't see the load rating for those QLs anywhere on the referenced site, and I'd be surprised if it's really as low as 40 lb.

At any rate, I get mine through mcmaster.com; they've got triangular QLs, and the smallest is rated at 155 lb.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
I can actually understand the need for triangular ones in some cases. One customer of mine wanted really heavy gauge leather, and in a single loop configuration i could not find grommets long enough. Ended up folding the leather strip over and rivetting it with the triangular QL in the loop.

Anyway, looking at the picture, the overall "surface area" of the QL encompasses looks rather large compared to the thickness of the bar stock. While I'm not sure this would make the rating as low as 40lbs, after derating (if the industry does that), i could possibly see someone stamping 40lbs on it. However, the product code implies Stainless Steel, which is rather strong.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

[ 07. November 2003, 12:23: Message edited by: Flamma Aeterna ]

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
hmmm...I'm not so sure I would believe the weight load limits on that site. I have a brand new quick link still in it's package which looks exactly like the one in the link I sent a few posts ago. This one says the Weight Load limit is 220lbs (100kg). The website for a SS one says 100lbs.

True, I don't know if mine is SS or zinc-plated (how would I tell, this one is silver). However, from my knowledge of ball chain, SS can take more weight than zinc-plated. Maybe the website quoted lbs. and really meant kg.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yo cutie,

Dube has triangular quicklinks to be used with poi.

520 Broadway just south of Spring. 6 train to Spring or N/R to Prince. 212-941-0060. Open til 6 I think.

Anything else you need?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
The WLL isn't listed on the website, but I emailed and asked, and they sent me the link to the manufacturer's site:

https://www.mizumoto-mm.co.jp/parts/TH_.html

Apparently, these tend to be very conservative estimates, but I, too, thought 20kg (44 lb) sounded very low for what they were.

Word to grommets. Completely forgot about their existence. They require some kind of kit, do they not?

I'm gonna hit mcmaster.com right now, and then it looks like I'll be making a trip to Dube tomorrow. All about the comparison shopping. Thanks ever so, everybody! (and I'll be seeing you tonight, NYC!)

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
Hi,
For any type of reliable quicklink do a web search for Maillon Rapide. They manufacture climbing quicklinks and are the ones used by HoP. The smallest diameter quicklinks are 3 mm and test to 200kg. There are various styles to choose from including the "delta" triangular ones. A very reliable Uk web site that supply them is
Caving-Supplies_Quicklinks
Just go to the site and search their catalogue for Maillon Rapide products. The delta shape are very reasonably priced from £1 per item upwards.
I hope this helps, Laters.

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin