Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Alrighty, so up until two or three weeks ago, any burns I'd done had taken place at the university I attend, on a nice big open field. From the hundreds of people walking over the field, it was quite muddy and pretty much dead. Thus, I noticed no ill effects to the field that were caused by the spinning I was doing.

I'm now home for the summer and I've been doing loads of burns since I arrived. That was about two weeks ago. Well, my dad just came up to me and asked if I knew what was wrong with the lawn. So I took a peek out the window, and there are all these lines of dead grass, and they're all in pairs which are parallel to one another. It looks like our lawn was gangbeaten by the other yards in the neighborhood.

It didn't take long to realize they were all the places that I'd spun off before lighting up. I could even place 'em..."Hey, there's monday over there, and that's thursday right there, and hey, there's the one from just before I set my hair on fire," I thought to myself.

Now, I didn't think kero would be GOOD for grass by any means but I didn't think a little bit of excess would kill so much of it either. Ah well. Will spin off in neighbor's yard from now on.

This ever happen to anyone else?

Trickymember
33 posts

Posted:
Yeah, That happened to me... when I was in Brisbaine, in Oz, I got banned from even looking at the grass with a spinning glint in my eye, cos I nearly destroyed the whole lawn they had, just from the kero from a few burns!. Bummer!

TrickySmile at a stranger!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Same thing happened here. After a while I just took to not spinning off and letting the access fuel burn off in the first 20 seconds or so.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
this sounds like it should be in the you might be a fire spinner if. . . thread.

use biodeisil, it isn't supposed to kill the grass.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

poiboiinthahouse137member
2 posts

Posted:
sup yall same thing cept'without fire my parctise poi waz to long and patches of grass started to fly my mom got mad she almost freaked it scared me look like she kill me

brighter and brighter louder and louder

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
*bumpZ*

Oh baby, yeah. My grass got murdered by an anonymous fire group rehearsing in my yard a few years ago... I bought in some majorly tuff type turf ( mucho expensive, even off the back of a truck...) and it's been handling the odd burn really well.. till just a few months ago...now its looking rather sad. frown Well sad. eek

Burned out . wink

Clues I've picked up from this seem to be... don't spin off (we do mostly poi, and devil stick, not a lot of staff) Or if we do, do it on the bricks by the pool..... or maybe use a clever spin jar like I saw on a video here somewhere...

Has anyone found any other things that help?

eg giving it a good watering stragiht after helps?? Dilutes it?? Or is it just too late once fuel gets on it. We not using kero btw. d60 or Ksol.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
have a spin off bucket:
plastic bottle that poi will fit in with string attached to the top.
as you spin off the excess collects in the bottle, then you pour it back in the fuel dump.

There's a thread on spin off buckets somewhere

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure where the thread is but heres the link to the 'Fuel and the Environment' bit on Nicks site
https://www.thevenue.org/fuelandenvironment.htm

And here are the links for the shake off vids
https://www.playpoi.com/global/videos/staffshakeoff.wmv
https://www.playpoi.com/global/videos/poishakeoff.wmv

psy_pyromember
52 posts

Posted:
always water the grass b4 u spin(helps it survie better) and also wash it off after to get rid of as much as possible...also i found that miricle grow helps with the dead patchs if u do get em.... the things is with grass u can buy uber boxes of seed that u just chuck down over the dead bits n it will grow bak within a few weeks

thanks for the knoweledge of my dad(keen grass grower)

"if it wasnt for the last minute nothing would get done"
"inspiration comes from every experience of life"
"a life rich in soul is never tuneless"

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Written by:

boxes of seed that u just chuck down over the dead bits n it will grow bak within a few weeks

That only works if your soil isn't poisoned from massive amounts of burn time. Its taken me a year to grow my grass back. Because the soil was hammered from burning, i had to dig the whole thing over and fence it! censored It was a huge hole in my front lawn, like it was burnt in there redface I called it Mordor.

Spin over concrete first or use a bucket. DONT spray water over the burn zone before! All that will do, is make you slip over. Im pretty sure Kero wont be absorbed by water anyway and its made no difference in my lawn. And water mixed with kero is just slippery.

Do water it after the burn, not much just to keep it green. If it starts to fade, find a new place. I noticed that spinning off in the sme place kills it faster than anything, but not spining off at all STILL kills the grass. It must turn to mist and fall ? shrug

Best idea is : spin on concrete. You wont slip over or burn a hole in your grass.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Mordor!
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Well, my backyard is mostly grass... some bricks around the pool, and a concrete area that is too slopey to be much use. Re-seeding wouldn;t really help, the bubby seeds would get trampled again! That's why I actually bought in turf after the Big Summer.
* I think the spin off jar will become a part of our lives.. saves masses of fuel too from what I saw on the vid.
* Water afterwards to at least get the stuff diluted.
I agree not before.
*Also there is a huge park at the bottom of my street... maybe we need to start trotting down there with our buckets if we're gonnna do more than a quick spin..
* and seeing my favorite thing is glowies anyway I'll just indulge myself with my fabulous double decker multicoloured spectaculights at home and save bulk fire for Moonfest (or the park...)

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Hydrocarbon rich petrolium distilates are harmful to plant life?

Get out of town!

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah yeah Sparkey, It's true!!!!!!!! No kidding!!!!

Next week:
How firespinning contibutes to global warming..... eek wink

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
you people need bromeliads eek confused

kero (in small amounts - and conveniently close to the amounts given off from spinning) is actually good for bromeliad wells - it helps keep away mosquitoes ubblol

Even so, it's AFTER I've finished spinning that I tend to wet the area down afterwards - I hadn't thought so much for the dilution of fuel, but more so, to ensure the area is damp and a fire can't break out from any residual fuel left behind after I leave an area... smile

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Written by:

t helps keep away mosquitoes

ubblol So much fun swatting mozzies with a staff biggrin Anti mosquito divice wink biggrin

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
so would this be the time to remind all of us who are 30 or so that that's what schools used to use to mark out football fields? am i the only one who read the subject line and went, "well, duh...."?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel