Forums > Technical Discussion > I finally got around to making those braid whips...

Login/Join to Participate

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
2 x (standard heavy-load handle, ~ 10cm doubled up medium chain, 4 metres braided absorbent rope (10cm i think)).Just add fire.Nice big sheet of flame, definitely worth doing.Easier to put out than normal wicks for some reason though... you just put an extra hard swing it to it and they go out (then really cool sheets of smoke smile). I found putting a big knot in the end made it easier to swing, better weight. Fraying was not a problem at all, I was surprised.I used cotton rope! Magicians wrope! that hideously cheap (£3 for 10m), evil fraying light empty cored stuff!It was brilliant! so absorbent, never even looked like it was going to burn through never frayed after I tied it off... wonderful. Will last for at least several burns, at least, judging from it's last performance.Oh, and it wasnt nearly as heavy as i expected! even when fully soaked the chain was still the heaviest bit.I will try using 12 or 15cm rope next time. That should be good... hehehe...(now go and flame me about safety... just because I did it first time at a childrens party... sheesh)------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
BLackbird - You haven't actually said what you've made, despite describing the componentsAre they poi? or whips? or something new?Did you do poi moves with them? Or whip cracking? or something else...?Cheers------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Whips! Like... poi, but with wicks that are a metre long... braided kevlar wick attached to a few inches of chain attached to a handle.Manipulated the same way as poi.I thought 'fire whips' was a common term...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x