MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I was working on a btb weave - corkscrew transition last night. I had it going quite smoothly, to the point where I didn't actually have to think about what I was doing. Then I realised I had actually done a btb weave - horizontal mexican weave by mistake.
My revelation - when changing your plane of spin by 90 degrees, since you have to force the poi a bit anyway, you can get one spinning in the opposite direction to the other! It is possible to switch between butterflies and weaves without wraps!
This is probably quite obvious to a lot of you, but it never occurred to me before, and I was wandering around all yesterday evening with that stupid "I've just learnt a new move" grin on my face.

J

[ 29 May 2002, 05:46: Message edited by: Jephyre ]

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The only way to switch from butterfly to weave without wraps is to rotate a poi 180 degrees (or both a combination adding up to 180). Usually this takes a rotation or two but if you really tweak it you can get it down in one.

Word.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
NYC, what do you mean by "rotate a poi 180 degrees"? Surely rotating a poi 180 just moves it further along its path, and doesn't change the direction of spin at all? Or do you mean something else?

J

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Though I ain't perfectd it yet I've been trying to go from thread the needle to weave. As arm comes forward with T/needle you expand to crossed arms and step into the space created and turn 90Degrees. Ain't quite got it yet though:)

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I've gone back to practicing two handed cross-overs, to try and get good weave to butterfly transitions.

Anyway, one transition that seems to work ok for me, is to go into the butterfly after the third beat, while doing a forward three-beat weave. I just move the poi in front, instead of going back to the other side for the next two beats.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry J I guess I missed your response for a few days...

By "rotating 180 degrees" I mean you need to rotate the axis by which they are spinning. So to go from forward to butterfly you could change your right poi and left poi by 90 degress... or you could just turn to one side and rotate the plane by 180 degrees.

I see what you're saying. I wasn't referring to the actual revolution of the poi around it's axis.

Ug, this post is getting unintelligable... Did any of it make sense? In order to go from weave to butterfly you've got to to from a position where the poi are parallel and moving in the same direction to a parallel plane where they are spinning in opposite directions, thereby rotating the plane around a line 180 degrees.

And the scary thing is the above post makes perfect sense to me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, NYC, i think jephyre is saying that you can go from a weave to a bfly by turning only one of the chains 90 degrees. in which he is right. i still say there are a few moves which you may not know about, but maybe not. try going from forward weave, and turn right hand chain to the left 90'.now you have an opened up (perpindicular)butterfly, and you can move that open butterfly all around your body, with the same 90' turns, moving from butterfly to weave to butterfly.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
p.s. hope that came out right... just mean that i still hope we can find something to break the bfly/weave are all there is construct, not that you aren't badass or anything...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i think one of the easiest ways of doing a butterfly from same direction moves is to just bring the poi together in front of you into a butterfly by twisting your arms inwards. the one thing about this is the plane of rotation of the poi is twisted through 90, which may not be what you want to do.....

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Thanks NYC, I see what you're saying now. Wouldn't that transition involve forcing the poi quite a lot? The transition I posted (and variants thereof) actually doesn't feel like you're forcing the poi, because it involves no more forcing than (for example) a normal vertical - horizontal transition.

J

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think I got it.

What Jephyre is saying is if you're rotating 90 degrees you could just rotate the other 90 degress and end up butterflied. Interesting and true. I guess it'd be just as easy to go weave ==> horizontal mexican wave as it would to go weave ==> corkscrew since you're rotating the poi into different planes anyway.

Which was the exact point of your initial post.

I'm gonna play with that the next time I pick up my poi... which won't be for a while. So dang busy these days...

And rockstarashi, naaaa I ain't a badass, I just like to figure out the physics of what's going on too...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
That's exactly what I was trying to say, NYC! Thanks - I'm a bit rubbish at explaining things like that.
quote:
end up butterflied.
lol - that's the best way of describing it I've heard!

J