Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
yup,,,so the weave was one of the first moves I learned (or thought I learned) and recently I was watching the video of the weave and I realized that the way I'm doing the weave is pretty different...in my search to find the name for the move I was doing I went to that fire chains page to find I was doing the figure 8 which they call the 'simplified weave' so now I've tried to start doing the 'non-simplified' weave,,, and its damn impossible,,,and worse, Im confused on how you do it...I tried searching old topics but they werent so helpful...so heres my big questionis the point to try and spin the two strings one on top of the other on the same side in the same direction at split time?Im royally confused about this now and if someone could claify it to me and give any tips on learning the move it would be greatTheres nothing like thinking youre good at something and then realizing you havent even got one of the most basic moves down...makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside blush------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Should this thread not be in the poi moves section?

Meh

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
ye but I screwed up when I posted itI tried to move it myself but it wouldnt let meso Im just gonna sit bakk and let them do it for me------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm, nice to hear from someone who did exactly what i did...my story i exactly the same as yours OK, cept a friend pointed out my problem to me...only advice i can give you is to keep at it, beat the carp out of yourself, thats what i had to do, but i finally got it, you will toobest of luck

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Why don't you go and post a nice new one in the poi moves section? And we can stay here and see how far we can drag this thread off on a tangent before one of the Mods comes strolling along and ruins it....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Whiffle's right it may have been your inner carp that was putting you off....

Meh

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
hehe...just saw cantus saying he wanted to see how long we can keep this thread going...lol..well here goes nothingp.l.u.r.r.xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
(sung to the tune of Rawhide)moving...moving...moving, keep those threads a moving, keep those dogs a moving, rawhide... grin grin grin grinAll done guys...------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
just to keep my own thread movingheres a joke no offence to any asians out thereAn Asian man walked into the currency exchange in New York City with 2000 yen and walked out with $72. The following week, he walked in with 2000 yen, and was handed $66. He asked the teller why he got less money that week than the previous week. The teller said "Fluctuations." The Asian man stormed out, and just before slamming the door, turned around and shouted, "Fluc you Amelicans, too!" ------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Hey anyone noticed that in todays active topics, theres three listings of this threadI feel so populari made the most active topic ever!!! smile------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
So, active-topic-wise, how many days do you want to try for?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

337 posts

Posted:
hehe...thread got moved...Organized, or not so organized, have you got the weave down?, try to remember it is over, under over under, with your hands on each side, hope that that didnt confuseyou more..if it did then sorry dude...just trying to keep thread on topic...lol...peace!!!p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem[This message has been edited by XTREMRAVR (edited 20 March 2002).]

NightRunnermember
20 posts

Posted:
LOL Kaos a lot of my friends had problems learning the weave, too. I jus kinda did it by accident one day. So naurally, even if I was ANY good at teaching, I couldn't help them out. You might find the approach on this site to be very helpful - my friends did.https://www.calefaction.org/teach/weave.html

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
thanx runnersomeone already suggested that site to me on the other thread like this i got going on hehe...its a really helpful site and im slowly beating myself up trying to figure it outthe poi gave me a nice smack in the balls today while trying to learn the weave as a sign of encouragement, or maybe it wuz a sign to give up...either or it hurt like hell wink------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I found I cracked the weave when I wasn't really paying attention and was chatting to Spiral whilst spinning. So all you need to do to crack it yourself is come over to England, go to Sheffield, find him - he's easy to spot... about 200ft tall with a very red mohawk - and get him to distract you whilst you're spinning.Worked for me anyhoo.But then I don't do poi (or, at least I don't admit to it in public). So what would I know? wink tongue grin------------------C@ntusMusic grows in the rose, rock and the rain and the blowing snowstorm,Everything seems to sing, everywhere I go,I say 1, 2 play me do,Let me sound as sweet as you,Play me wide, play me long,Let me be your song.

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I just sort of got the weave whilst messing about. But some people I know find it helps if you count out loud while you try to weave 'over, under, out' and make sure that your hands are actually doing what you're counting! (that is is you can do the three beat movement with each hand separately already) And it'll feel right as soon as you get it. Good luck smile smile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
the weave is different from the 8 in that you can add an extra revolution on each side by starting the weave off with the hand opposite of the side you are on. so if on the right side, start the pattern with your left hand and then do the regular 8. then cross your right hand over first, and follow through with the left figure eight. the result is that your fists alternately cross over one another. 3 revolutions on each side, like playing drums in 3-3 time

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
I GOT THE FUKKING WEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heres my story...I got home from skool today and went into my room,,,i wuz like im gonna try this one last time...i started spinning and WTF? it wuz like a revelation, the weave came to me!!!!!!! so while doing the weave the balls hit me in the nuts (maybe as a message of congratulations this time), i fell to the floor crawled to the copmputer, holding my boys and gasping for air and typed this up...MUTHER FUKKER!!! I BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!! I AM THE FUKKING WORLDS GREATEST!!!!!! sorry,, im very high on myself rite now,,,yo thanx a lot for all your help,,,i dont how i wudve figured this out without your advice...I AM THE WEAVE MASTER!!!!!!!!!------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

337 posts

Posted:
bwahahaha...you got hit in tha nuts for your congats, i got hit in the nuts too *shudders*, anyway on a better note thats FUKKIN BAD A$$!!! CONGRATS, start trying to do it backwards now, hehe wear a helmet or you might give yourself a blackeye!! when you get that down then you can turn from doing a forw. weave to rev. weeave and back forw. again!!! pretty cool!!!p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Alrite so heres my next problem,,,got the weave on lockdown now, can even transition my old 'simplified' weave to the new real weave, and im now working on the reverse weave which with practice I will get,,,but the 5-beat is confusing the hell out of me, anyone got some advice???------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

337 posts

Posted:
uhhh..the 5 beat...im stil perfecting mine, but the thing that helped me the most was when ever you do the last rotation on the right sideslide your left arm up to the middle of your forearm, that will help you out with the timing, other that that.....go SLOW!!! WEAR A CUP, TRUST ME!! YOU WILL NEED ONE, THAT OR STUFF A SHIRT IN YOUR PANTS..LOL...sorry for the caps everybody just giving fair warning..lol..p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
lol @ Kaos and Extremravr!! grin smileHuge congrats Kaos! Feels good doesn't it?? Wahoo *does a little dance of joy in celebration of Kaos's triumph*learn the reverse weave before the 5-beat, that way you can have lots of fun doing forwards/backwards/360 weaves and add windmills and corkscrews in there too! Loads of fun grin grinI'm still stuck on reverse 5-beat weave ... forwards is no problem, but reverse?? waaahhhh.....too much for poor little me. (I'm only glad I don't have balls to take ionto consideration too tongue )Ros xx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

337 posts

Posted:
yea the weave is fun when you learn how to turn forward to reverse and back forwards again...while throwing windmills and corkscrews, it is coijust learned how to throw the corkscrew in...pretty sweet...well i am almost great at the fwrd 5 beat, but i am a littleout of time going from side to side bc the poi catch up to eachother, and goes into same time instesad of split...o well back to practic...lol..p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
With 5 beat weaves you get half an extra rotation when you twist your arms up on one side.. cross your body with arms twisted.. get another half rotation untwisting.. do the normal beats.. get another extra half rotation twisting arms again.. cross body with arms twisted.. and get another half rotation untwisting your arms.. 4 extra half rotations gives 2 extra full rotations (beats) to each hand/poi.. therefore 5 beat weave..If that makes any sense..in other words just try to think that you add an extra half rotation before AND after the normal beats on each side by twisting and untwisting your wrists/arms..I think that the hardest part of doing 5 beat weave is counting the number of beats and working out what you are doing (and therefore not trying to do 7 or 9 beats!!) grinThough I think I may have read this somewhere on here before.. its been discussed way too much to find out who said this first.. sorry if it was you.. winkTom

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
BOOM!!!!I just got the reverse weave and the turning thingnow I just gotta learn the BTB weave and try the *@%^! five beat againXTREM maybe I should take your advice on wearing a cup, at the rate I'm going im not gonna have any kids...Hey, on the brighter side I found a new and more painful way to get blueballs!!!! shocked shocked shocked------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

337 posts

Posted:
damn...kickin ass and takin names huh?...sweet!! keep it up!!! all it takes is a little practice!!! i recently perfected..uhh...well made my 5 beat alot better it is now iun split time the whole time!! wooo hooo!!! i was trying the rev btb weave last night....wow...i really need a helmet, and a mouth or face guard!!! talk about feeling like your in a boxing match with mike freakin tyson!!! almost gave mahself a black eye last night!! well peace out!!!p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
ahh, i remember learning the btb weave. So much aggrivation. I wanted to rip my poi apart because they weren't doing what i wanted them to do. Then you finally learn it and it takes another month or so for it to become consistant.Your happy up until you find out you have to learn it the other way too. Not to mention how long it takes for you to learn how to turn it. Enjoy smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
well i'm happy for all you people but uh- any advice for those of us (ok, me) still stuck on the weave? I can't even do an eight, honestly, it doens't make sense to me. At least with a three beat i *think* i know where the balls are supposed to be but my wrists have a nasty habit of getting in the way.... ack! someone help me, please?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....