Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Poi-Lesson for 5 Beat Reverse Weave Wrong?!

Login/Join to Participate

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
There are some problems with this page in the Poi-Lesson section of this site. Don't get me wrong, this site is AWESOME since it has animations, and instructions, and the board (Thank you Malcom, I owe you a bundle! smile), but this page (5 beat reverse) seems to lack both.Instruction wise all it says is do the 5 beat forward in reverse...I can do a flawless 4 beat forward (and an ok 5 beat forward), but instructions this general don't help me at all. Maybe they help others, i'll work on it. But my main problem is with the animation....Maybe its just me, but in that animation it looks like the poi are spinning in oposite dirrections. Looks like a butterfly weave or something... Do you guys see what I mean? Maybe I'm wrong, butI also have a question about my 5 beat weave. I can do the four EASY on my left hand side, in fact I usually jump into 4 without going into 3, without even thinking about it. But, I have trouble doing the extra beat on my right side, where my right hand goes under. For some reason my arms get all bent out of shape and it is VERY akward. I can do it, but it doesn't flow the same way.PLUR-john

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
i get the same problem at first...here is whats wrong...look at what ur doing on the left side...repeat it...what would haoppen is i would do an extra beat with my RIGHT hand... on my LEFT side....instead....u need to do an extra beat on ur left side...with ur left hand...see what im saying....its tricky cuz ur left hand always sucks soooo mcuh if ur right handed...n if ur not...ur right hand will suck..unless ur one of those lucky blokes that are ambidextris...or however u spell it...they got it easy...

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
I hate the five beat weave! I can spin poi with my hands tied behind my back and blindfolded but I still can't figureout what I'm doin wrong, with that !#$! 5 beat weave! Whats the secret?

^_-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Pretend you didn't have arms but you could still control you're hands. How would you keep on making the poi spin in a circle? You would have to keep on your rotating your hands around in a circle. The fact of the matter is we have arms that can only twist for so long. Basically what you have to do is twist your hands around until your wrists are touching and move your arms, not your hands to the other side of your body.I hope that makes sense.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
I understand the concept perfectly. Its my poi that can't seem to follow simple directions. : \

^_-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
There's no simple way to learn the 5-beat but with practice. The only little trick i can think of is that there's a little tucking motion that you're supposed to do. ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
what helped me learn is is exagerating the movements,, when you first try to get it instead of completely relying on the wrists bend at your elbows a little 2. I dunno helped me out.

We are defined by the choices we make

_AnA_newbie
17 posts

Posted:
People tend to complain about hurting their head a lot while learning this movement. My head hasn't suffered yet but there's another problem... I try to go into the reverse 5 beat weave by turning 180 degrees while doing the forward one, and as I turn, the chains get tangled at once. How to escape this? It seems to me you have to uncross your wrists very quickly, but no matter how fast I do this, the chains get tangled anyway.
And another question: are the wrist movement exactly the same as in a forward 5 beat weave?

We'll burn, like a moth to the flame
Burn, as the fire calls us by name...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I used socks, and once I was able to do the 5 beat, I ended up just letting the sock touch the back of my hand and slide over it, so I could get a feel of where the poi are... it helped me get split time in my 5b.

It also helped my friend learn it altogether by rolling it over the back of his hand... I hope at least SOMEONE gets what I mean... Essentially you just move your hand only halfway around the other, so the start of your poi is nearer to the inside of your wrist, rather than the outside.

... thats what worked for me, anyway, I was then able to pull it back away from my hand with ease, and my hands were trained to do it in split time, rather than a 3b with a tuck.

Oh right.. the reverse... as I did with the 3 beat, I simply did the 5 beat weave in forward, slowed my hands down to a stop once my poi were done on one side, about to return to the other, and then simply unraveled it, automatically putting me in the motion for the 5b reverse. Starts off a little awkward that way, but once you've been doing that for a while, your hands should come back into where they're meant to be.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1187694701)

hug