ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
In the topic about style, someone mentioned stalls a few times. I tried doing a search of the boards but couldn't find more info. I may already know what these are under another name, but not sure... So what are stalls exactly?Thanks! smile

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
isnt a stall basically when you change direction without wrapping the poi on something, ie, when swinging forward you switch in mid swing into backwards? so the poi kind of looks like a swing on a swingset.to get this to work you have to follow through with your hands to slow them down so the direction switch is more controlled and not abrupt and wobbly.it can look ok, depending on how it is done...good for music with abrupt changes in it...what would be pretty nifty to get each hand going in opposite directions get them to stall out at the bottom at the same time or in alternate time so it would look (optical illusions) like they were kinda bouncing off each other at the bottom? i suck at describing things! dont even know if it can really be done ill go try it and see. smilePere

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Thanks smileI'll try fussing with that stuff a bit more than I have been... On a note, I had been fussing a little with a ball on an elastic cord (guess they are called stress relief balls or something like that).Besides swinging it like poi and wraps and things, you can whip it back and forth because of the elastic. Like you can whip it left and right in front of you and stick you your legs to have it go under, etc...Kind of goofy, but kind of fun too. smile

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
check out my video on the appropriate section of this site, there's a couple of stalls in there...keep in mind these look a little awkward, i couldn't really bring my momentum to a stop that quickly, being that there was ice under me and my shoes lack traction. but you get the idea, for best effect go really fast then bring your chains to a complete horizontal stop. that will change the direction of your spin. you can do it with the poi swinging in the same direction or in opposite, both at the same time or staggered. peax,Skunk

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
isnt a low turn and a high turn basically a stall??I know i like to do a 360's with low turns then HIGHTURNS and kepp it going fro like three turns. You get it going fast and flare them out a little it makes for a cool effect. ...anda very dizzy head.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain