Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Alternate butterfly combo???

Login/Join to Participate

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Drake - thanx for the post... i've tried the move in split time and it does look good indeed smile - i don't know if you have found any difficulties switching sides with in-time butterflies i think i failed to explain the whole story in my previous post but anyone with a bit of experience must be able to get it fairly easily...Well here's another easy move which looks good and is my Xmas present to all those of you that haven't come up with it themselves yet...it reminds me of the alternate butterfly combination described in the lessons on the site but i think this one is different (i can't be bothered to sit down and work out if it's different - if it's the same i am sorry frown ) - here we go:I think the conventional thing to do is to either start a move by swinging both poi forwards or in reverse - i usually use moves which start from swinging one poi in reverse and one forwards - this is one of these moves... so start by swinging in opposite directions with each hands (say the left hand swinging forwards and the right hand in reverse) - i don't know how many of you tried a turn when swinging in opposite directions but this is how to do it... if you can do the high and low turns described in the lessons all you have to do is to do the low turn with your left hand (which is doind forwards circles) and the high turn with your right one (which is spinning in reverse) - in this way you can turn around as much as you want...once you get used to this the following move should come very easily:start by swinging in opposite directions (say left hand forwards, right hand in reverse) - you can now do a 180 turn to your right and you should be facing the opposite direction doing exactly the opposite thing (right hand forwards, left hand in reverse) - you can obviously use the same move to do a left turn and end up back where you started from...now do the exactly the same move but without turning your body (pois must be now swinging in the planes in front and behind you) - to achieve this start as before (left hand forwards, right in reverse) and before doing anything turn your body 90 degrees on the right (now left poi is swinging behind you and right on the front) and then do the move as described above - grrrrr... i am terrible at describing this, it's a really simple move so it should be alright, plz tell me if you want a better description... i think it's the same as the alternate butterfly combo but there is no swinging at waist height but i could be wrong - in any case you can at least turn round and round using the turn i described - it's fun!!! grinhappy swinging,Simos

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
yeah, i get it. i think. erm, what was the middle bit?i like this (x-mas present)move but i haven't thought about/done it in ages (dunno why). another thing i do from opposite swings (actually i come straight into the opposing swings from the move described in the vids as 'mexican wave' by virtue of a 90 deg turn) is to manipulate them into the same direction in front (or behind if you are jo and other godlike people) and then go into chase-the-sun. also suffering from this move description paralysis thing.here it is again: opposing swings on either side of the body, with poi peaking at same time. from the side this would look like a butterfly.from there, you bring your hands to the front, which means the poi actually are travelling in the same direction. next beat drop the hands behind shoulders and carry through with a nice big chase the sun.thanks for the remindero-o

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i am glad you liked it o-o...i'll post some new moves as soon as i feel better (i managed to have alcohol and some 4 strong pills that are definitely not to be taken with alcohol at the same time - stupid me - i feel like s*** since and i am lucky i didn't have a lot of alcohol)happy swinging,Simos

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
what are you talking about!?!pills and booze work off each other and therefore are a great combo always(please for the sake of humanity dont take my advice)