Page:
tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
So has anyone else noticed that many ravers, after a while in the scene, begin to develop their own way of speaking that non-ravers can barely understand, and also have brought back many words that were dying out? For example:plur (peace love unity respect)bts (brooklyn street thugs)sketchy, shady (usually interchangeable)mad (as in "very")sketchin' out (drugged-up)battling (w/glowsticks or breakdancing)breakin' (breakdancing)ufo's (the rave pants of choice)spinning (as in "who's spinning tonight?")robo-tripping, candy-flipping (specific orders of taking certain drugs for a certain kind of high)rockin' (as in, "i was rockin' my new black ufo's that night")candy (as a noun: bracelets, necklaces, made of glowing beads, or as an adjective: candy raver/kid; a raver with a lot of beads, funky clothes/costumes and fuzzy things)liquid (a style of dance, often done with stixalong with these come our words to describe all the different types of techno (some of which aren't really different at all), such as house, progressive house, happy hardcore, drum n bass, trance, hard trance, progressive trance, etc. not many outside the rave scene have even HEARD of these types of music (at least in my experience).can you come up with any more? i know i've missed lots, and i'm sure some of you have terminology specific to your own locales smile

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
you forgot the ultimate modifer:Hella....as in hellacool, hellascary, helladope, hellaspensive, hellasexy, etc....

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i have noticed that, and usually i can pick a raver out in a crowd. as for music, i know many who aren't into the rave scene and know of jungle, house, trance etc...cause they listen to it, just not go to raves and such. words or phrases:~glow babies (ravers who soley twirl or liquid dance or anything else with glowsticks)~geekin out (drugged up or you geek someone that is rolling by making motions with glowsticks infront of their face)~candy kids (ravers drenched in candy, also wears bright colored wigs, small cutisy back packs and such)~rollin( someone on "e")blanking out. i know n8 will ramble a ton off for you, when he reads this.PLUR------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
i'm still kinda new to the Rave scene, but one that i herd one guy say was that poi'ers are like glowstick ninja's, and hence my other name, glowstick ninja. anyway, so now anytime i see another liquid dancer or poi'er i refer to them as a ninja! i guess you could use it for breakn' to, but it would depend on the style! plur! wink------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master![This message has been edited by Plazma (edited 07 June 2001).]

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
A lot of them are universalHippy flippin(shrooms and "X")too many different music typs to name, a lot of shortend ones though,DnB(drum and bass)Happycore(happy hardcore) you know. Glowstick ninja is defenatly one of my favs though. I guess it's cause every kid wants to be a ninja.Eric------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
grin

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
a few i forgot about:candy can also refer to "E" or "X" for ecstasy."dips"- cigs dipped in formaldehyde/pcpwack- lame, stupidghetto as an adjective- (as in, "that club was pretty ghetto")nicknames for dj's (oakie, pvd, etc)train wreck- when the dj sucks and can't beat-matchparty- synonymous with ravek-hole (when someone is on ketamine)special k (a name for ketamine)another odd thing about the world of rave- the party costs thirty five dollars, water costs five dollars, coat check costs four dollars, glowsticks cost six dollars, and most ravers are teens/college kids, and are some of the poorest people around.

soniqastmember
13 posts

Posted:
just a couple additionsdj - godwater - life bloodmusic - sweetest drug

Computer games dont affect kids. If Pac Man affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repativity.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
My rave days were '93-95, and oh how have the times changed since then. I got in on the tail end of the illicit party scene when things were like 5-10 bucks. Even when things were legit, with permits and security and a real rented space, $20 was an expensive party. I think the most I ever paid was maybe $40 for a rave that was was held on a booze-cruise type boat. Likely the first on the east coast, the mid-atlantic area to be sure. It was a great party (except for the promoter who lost his shirt in the deal) until someone decided to jump overboard at 4am. Major party downer.In any case, these $35-$45 parties, plus parking, plus coat check, plus water, plus candy, and of course breakfast, are pushing the triple digits. Inconceivable! (Of course, maybe I'm just lucky to have so many good friends who throw so many great private parties that commercial raves pale in comparison regardless of cost...)-p.

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
hey, have you ever thought why these people are the porest around???cos every weekend they spend $xxx... hey?thats what was great about the uk's old free parties/raves... i have a very fond memorie of one when i was about 6 and it was class..

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I hadn't really sat down and thought about the recycled words... though its true in some respects.... I did notice that american 'ravers' do have different terms from australian 'ravers' and in fact the aussie 'ravers' i know don't call themselves 'ravers' so I don't know...I'm getting sucked down the plughole with a myriad of empty words though don't mind me.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
ajtag, what i meant was, although college kids can barely afford the essentials, they see nothing wrong in throwing down $50 for an evening of fun. and yes, this contributes to their being poor, but usually, somehow they don't mind much smilepj- you're so lucky to have been in the scene so early. wish i could have seen it.splat- mind sharing some aussie rave vocab?

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Here in france we have a very huge free-party scene... But I'm sad to say that everything is finish now. Last week a law has been voted and now like in Uk every non-authorised party will be closed down by police and they will take the sound system!!! organizers will face jail!!!For us in france it's the end of an era frownMore on topic:But we have(had..sniff) our own words too !! we like to reverse the beginning and the end of a word to make it more... funny grinex: police -> LispoPS: excuse my poor english

o]-[DasK]-[o

LiquidNinjamember
11 posts

Posted:
Hey Plazma, I must be the sickest poi'er around. wink I actually havn't been to a rave yet, but spinning, and martial arts are 2 of my favorite things in the world. Just thought I'd say hi because of my name :P-=LiquidNinja=-

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
That's a pretty complete list, one thing I must point out though is that a candy kid is spelled Kande Kid cause people love to substitute words. grin------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Candy flipping I've heard and know (Acid and E), but what's robo-tripping?And I always thought "hella" was just a major West Coast slang term, not restricted to ravers.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Hey dask!Try not to be so sad about the new law in France. In the uk unorganised raves are illegal and supposed to be shut down by the police. But often they are not because there are not enough police to deal with the situation. A few soundsystems have been confiscated, but generally things are ok. I have been going to free parties for 2 yrs and have never been to one that was shut down, the police always pay a visit but we tell them when we will shut down and they leave us alone.If you want any tips to arrange a party (with minimum loss if the police shut it down)then send me an email.Onelove Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Thanks Thistle for your moral support smileThe problem of the french police is exactly the same as yours... there are too much people to deal with so this law will not really be applied... the problem is that this is a frown BAD frown law which is not compatible with our republic and our basic freedoms.Anyway I don't have my own soundsystem to run and I don't even go to parties frequently now, (too much drug=bad vibes) so it's not direcly my problem but I would like to thank you for your help smile

o]-[DasK]-[o

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
heheh..I know how you feel when you say too many drugs=bad vibes. Like *every* commercial 'rave' event in Brisbane. (I and so many others agree they all suck arse, including the greedy voluntarily ignorant organisers and the bulk of the customers.) Half the time these organisers are actually contributing to and making money off the hard drug-using population which makes me sick. Several insider informants have given me this knowledge over the 6 years of experience I have had with this crowd. Sad frown But the private parties are so special though particularly cause of this factor grin I don't pay any attention anymore to how 'raver's talk - the ones I know of now are, to be blunt, chemically-screwed up dickheads. I personally like to think of a real raver to be one who doesn't call themself a raver. (although I really don't care what ppl call themselves - if you wanna be a rainbow coloured sprite thats okay with me smile ) These people live the vibe, speak the vibe, spread the vibe - all just being themselves.------------------The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
tekkno girl!!!!thing across the pond are really different. i can also however pick a raver out of a crowd. ( afriend once said, "we can smell our own " tongue )anyway. heres a list of some of the slang we use in manchester:pill (or rarely 'E') - ecstacywired - drugged up/hyper'avin it - really dancinscallies/townies -commercial ravers (gatecrasher, minstry of sound etc)ganj, reef, herb - cannabis (leaf)sput, block, squidgy - cannabis (solids)shit night - pants ("thatnight was pants)stuff it up your nose - to snort (usually 'E')dibs, pigs, poo-lice - policebusted - to have a rave raided by the police.drape - well painted decor/ bannerbangin eg "that night was bangin"battered - to be really high eg, "last nite you were battered"skinz, riz - rizla (cig paper)anyway i hope i could help. i'll post again if i think of anything else. grincheers tekkno girl for the insight into life over the water.malcoim, new idea for some polls? (contrasting, US, UK, Europe, etc ????)

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I think someone else might have said it better when they suggested 'raver' talk is great for 'raver' boards and not poi/stick discussion boards. Just MHO. If anyone takes this as an attack then you're taking it the wrong way okay? I don't feel the slightest need to attack anyone smile

Kyromember
24 posts

Posted:
Wow thanks for educating me. I was heavy into techno back in the 80's and love how it's evolved.Portlander's are heavy into rave gatherings, and many parties have spinners attending. I think knowing the terminology goes hand-in-hand with poier's who participate in the Rave community.Thanks for the enlightenment! I'm writing some of the terminology down so I'll have a resource to peruse when I perform at these events. Thanks again!!

From the most primitive cultures to the most advanced civilizations,man has had to manufacture things;his well-being depends on his success at production.The lowest human tribe cannot survive without that alleged source of pollution: fire. Ayn Rand

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
See, this post *was* relevant...sort of.

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
*bump*

just bumpng this thread cos i was wonderning if any of you knew the right name for an outside rave in forests etc. my music teacher wants to know =D

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

my music teacher wants to know =D

why...............................are they old bill?

a "free party" wink

do they want to go to one??? ubblol

TrippinBRONZE Member
7 posts

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Woah - an alternative scene with it's own vocab? eek

Wierd.

Right, I'm off to practise some hybrid hyperlations wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

Written by: ]
my music teacher wants to know =D [/quote

why...............................are they old bill?

a "free party" wink

do they want to go to one??? ubblol

dont think so...

just wants to know for teaching Club Dance Remix

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

7,193 posts

Posted:
brittle "club" music is NOT "rave" music" as such, i doubt many clubs play acidtechno or doom-core, let alone gabba ubblol

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
 Written by: brittle

just bumpng this thread cos i was wonderning if any of you knew the right name for an outside rave in forests etc. my music teacher wants to know =D

In South Africa an Oz it's called a doof. Dunno about the rest of the world

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

7,193 posts

Posted:
don't theyhave something in south africa called "quito" (sp??)

it's a mix of zulu, africaans and english vocles mixed over rap/dance tunes???

Page: