Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > 5-beat done, now for reverse...

Login/Join to Participate

ShaneVincentBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Alright, I've seen the many 5-beat topics already posted, but none matched exactly what I was wanting to ask.

I can do the forwards 5-beat weave with ease now, however the reverse 5-beat weave is really bugging me. I taught myself the forwards weave because I could use my wrist and force the chain to move the poi out of the way... however it doesn't exactly work that way in reverse.

I've tried closing my eyes and attempting (as one member suggested)... it ended in pain. I've tried crossing over my hands but leaving the backs of my hands in contact, instead of crossing them over in the normal way... I got a little more progress... but still I have failed very much so.... I was wondering if there was possibly any other thing that I haven't tried yet?

Also, I've been trying to do 3-beat BTB weaves... but I hold the two-strap poi grips on my middle and ring fingers... and I can't get anything near the correct planes....

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I used to use the exact same grip, correct planes will just come with practice. I unfortunately can't help you in the 5bt section. You should probably switch grips to middle and pointer finger like I did, it's much more comfortable for spinning and much easier.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
One trick is to practice the weaving motion with sticks first. That way you can take it really slow and get a good feel of where each poi goes. after that, it's just a matter of trying to keep your crosspoint in the middle and planes to the sides to prevent you from hitting yourself. And that just comes with practice. You can ofcourse practice your crosspoints separately, in a 3-beat-weave for example, and then try to focus them in the 5-beat.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ShaneVincentAlso, I've been trying to do 3-beat BTB weaves... but I hold the two-strap poi grips on my middle and ring fingers... and I can't get anything near the correct planes....

Can learn it with that, just a bit harder. I used to use index and ring until I started throwing. Again, sticks will help. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
In addition to the above, try watching your timing in a mirror or large window. One of the things that tripped me up for a long time was that I was really speeding up one of the poi without noticing, so it can help to check this, too, if you're having problems.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I didn't want to make another thread... But

I can do everything in reverse more easily than forward and the 5 beat forward weave is STILL beyond me.

I am wondering if it's possible to be 'goofy poied'(sorry for the boarder reference)

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Everyone learns everything different. Most people only learn things forward because its the way they're shown first up and they stick with the forward-reverse thing because it flows on from what they know best.

I've found I've learned some things more easily in rev and some in fwd spin.

hug

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Woop Woop! For 5 shiny moments I had the forward 5 beat weave! If I can cross back over I will be golden!

Scratch that, reverse it. I owned both forwards and backwards without any battle wounds!
EDITED_BY: Refuge Crew (1271389596)

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
i've been able to fwd 5bt for over a year now and i still can't do it in rev! to be fair i dont practice it that much, i understand the theory and i can even get it on my left side but not my right... it's been like that for ages... it may have something to do witht he 2 shoulder reconstructions i've had on my right shoulder but i refuse to accept that.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
I second the practice with sticks/clubs. Not just because you can slow it down but because it will make you more aware of the difference in body mechanics:

When spinning a staff/stick/club forward you will likely find that as you move through your cross-point, you lead with the thumb-side of your hand & stick, then your elbow trails behind that.

In reverse you will find that your elbow leads and drags the pinky side of your hand & stick along with it.

So forwards spinning crossovers = thumb-side > elbow.
Reverse crossovers = elbow > pinky-side.

This is true of poi as well, but in a much more subtle way.

For reverse 5beat, try making the extra wrist twist by putting your cross-side wrist at the elbow of your other arm, rather than the wrist. This gives more separation of the poi, so that your planes don't clash (as you get comfortable and clean up your planes, you will find it easier to tighten up your twist at the wrists).

Since your cross-side hand is twisting around your elbow and dragging it across, this also promotes the more ergonomic form for reverse weaves, where the elbow leads.

Here is a video of me drunkenly demonstrating progressively adding beats to weaves, offset weaves, and then an exaggerated version of the reverse 5beat @ 1:28

Notice how my elbow is what leads through the cross-point. You don't have to put your hand all the way up over your shoulder to practice of course!

+Alien Jon

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewI can do everything in reverse more easily than forward and the 5 beat forward weave is STILL beyond me.

Is that because you are backwards tongue2

But on a serious note I am having very similar problems usually with the poi striking me on the middle plane as i crossa and have tried what alien jon suggests and cross the wrists closer to my elbow. It works but god damned i look unco doing it. now i can do that slowly getting the feel and flow of minimalising the movements required
EDITED_BY: triptrician (1272066668)

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)