FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:

Just throwing this out there to see what people think.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091119/twl-wild-child-10-tasered-over-bath-time-3fd0ae9.html

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
can't find the original one, that included that the officer had tried to cuff and restrain the child, got kicked between the legs and was scared of breaking the childs arm if he continued to try and restrain her.

Cant help but think If she was older no one would give a dam. I think its the age thing that people are really concerned about.

The argument with how do you restrain a 10 year old it also tricky, if you grab hard enough that they can't move, then you risk injuring them, if you don't hold hard enough they will escape...

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Do wonder why they called the police in the first place.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I dunno.. if you were to put your knee on a childs back and hold their arms behind them.. how likely is it to break their arm? Dislocated shoulder maybe but broken arm??

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshThe simple thing is it wasn't smacked hard enough. You're not doing something right if you can't control your own child. I don't think we should let this argument go into the whole 'elctro shock treament blah bleh' coz frankly the child needs it if it's going on like that since this is obviously isn't the first time it happened. The child was ferral, the officer did the only humane thing you can do to an animal apart from shooting it.

This is satire......right?

demonduckGOLD Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
It seems to me that it was the right thing to do. The only other option would have been to restrain the child physically. When someone is so out of control that they have to call the cops, trying to restrain them invariably takes a lot of rough handling. Zapping her probably saved her some serious injuries.

Imagine the officer had tried to restrain her, and accidentally broken her wrist or something? Very easy to do, and the cop would have been hung out to dry.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
The Taser was an awful idea, the only reason it was needed was because the mother had obviously worked the child up into a frenzy trying to get it to do something against it's will.

I'd have told the child that every minute they didn't get into the bath I would throw out one of their favourite toys and keep doing it until they got in on their own. At no point do you need to taser a child no mater how unruley they are, espescially over something as banal as a bath. let the kid smell for a day and punish it in a viable non agressive manner, removal of priviliges will normally get a kid to behave.

Why was the officer trying to take the child into custody either? is it illegal in the US to not do as your mother wants now, surely the emergency services would have been better sending a medical team to sedate her than a police officer to subdue her when she had broken no laws.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

demonduckGOLD Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking if the situation has devolved that far, we can safely assume the mother is incompetent beyond hope. If she was capable of properly disciplining her child, the entire situation would never have happened.

I've spent a lot of time with this kind of child, and I can honestly say that they are kids that often need to be restrained by violent means. I can't really say much about this child in particular, but there are children who cannot be controlled by things like removal of privileges. When I was in school, we had to shut the whole building down and physically lock a kid in a class because he pulled a knife and attacked a teacher. He spent the entire time until the cops showed up destroying the room and trying to break the windows. (they had bars) Then he attacked the cops.

I'm just saying, good parenting only goes so far. Applying it in a single situation can't make up for a lifetime of it's absence.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Hm, it did state that the girl in question was 'lying on the floor' when the policeman came in.. I don't really see how someone in that situation needs restraining? Leaving alone to calm down, yep.. from that description the kid was being violent when actually being provoked, rather than actively attacking anyone..

I wouldn't like to be in the position of the policeman, and without having been there I wouldn't like to say if he was wrong to act as he did, but I think I'd probably better not comment on my views on the mother for a quite different reason wink this is a PG forum after all..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?