Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Another Move Explaination Request

Login/Join to Participate

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
...again from the mel tech poi video. What's going on here:

Non-Https Image Link

Is it in 1/4 time so they meet at a diagonal like that?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I believe this is called a beatswitch, Nevisoul made a video that shows it a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nevisoul#p/u/10/UGI9P5Z7ZxY
Anyway, this looks like regular split time since the poi are same direction. The hands just meet from a different position

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
ha, i was just working with that, last night! it is alot of fun, if you havent gotten it down the way nevisoul does it in the video poiboy posted, try it that way first, wait untill your right try to bring your poi togeather so that the point were your hands meet is when your right poi is horizontal on the left and your right poi is horizontal on the right, it will give you the most time to linger with your hands togeater. oh and thats from split time same direction.as your poi have passed through 1/2 trun you can start to pull them appart, just feel it out. does it with a variation where he moves his hands. I have seen that tech video 1000 times and never noticed that, theres just so much to pick apart and learn. if you know piroettes try the trun, its alot of fun as well, just put your hands toeather, lean your head back, and try to watch your right hand poi pass behind then back infront of you (watch out sometimes it goes for the nose.) if you want a video breaking this down, let me know, it still really new to me so i would love to make one.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can do something very similar off a split-time butterfly.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

270 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys. and Rives a video could never heard... I'd just add what ever you taught to my learning list... and new perspectives on moves I'm already learning or even already know are actually what helps me the most.

270 posts

Posted:
Actually yes anything that explains it more than the nevisoul video would be excellent.

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
i just finished the videos, they will be on youtube soon.

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
heres the link, its not the greatest explaintion ever, but i hope it helps

and

EDITED_BY: Rives (1256720463)
EDIT_REASON: more info

270 posts

Posted:
Thank you, friend!

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
any time smile

270 posts

Posted:
That second video was awesome. I appreciate you teaching moves when you recently moved them and you improved a lot even as you were shooting the video. Hope I can help you sometime, but I don't think I'll ever catch up. smile
EDITED_BY: Lye (1256767860)

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
adding the videos to the learn section under the new section "lockouts"

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
I've been busy so I haven't gotten around to this until now, but...

Rives, I gotta step in and say this: Historically a "Lockout" isn't a specific move. It is the concept of locking out into statics spins form another move. or instance, doing a 3-beat weave and locking out on each side for an extra few beats, by spacing your hands so the poi don't tangle. Or doing an antispin flower and locking out in a particular arm position for an extra rotation.

Im not sure if If Thomas calls the move that you are emulating anything more than "this prayer move"... Well at some point he was calling it beat switching... It could be used as a type of lockout for another pattern... but so could the part where you open your arms to the back wall plane.

For instance you could do a flower where you turn your body in order the keep the poi on the same plane facing the entire time (much like you've figured out how to pirouette to keep the poi spinning an extra beat without twisting any more). When ever you come back around to where your arms are on the back wallplane, you could "lockout" to the "Thomas prayer" before going back into the flower. Orrrrrrr, conversely, you could be doing the same one walled flower, and whenever you are facing the plane (your poi are on front wall plane), you could lock out to the back wall plane. 2 different looking poi movements, but they are each used as a lockout in this case.

The prayer move that you are doing also has the properties of being "linear" in that your hands are moving in lines, and creating "loops", as in the heads trace loopty- loops in space as your hands come together. That seems to be the qualities that you are focusing on as the move, so I would call it something different than Lockout, because that is miss-leading and obscuring the point of what you are focusing on.

You could say these are a type of 'linear isolation'. But really I'm not all that happy with that name either. crazy

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
That said, I totally admire you making videos to share your findings. Teaching takes you through one of the best learning cycles over and over. So keep it up. Feel free to consult me on things if you have questions or need clarifications... with the understanding that sometimes, I'm really busy and drop off the face for a bit.
hug

+Alien Jon

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the response and feedback, it really does mean alot. I believe the name that Thomas used was beat shift, which is more suitable, and thank you for clarifying what a lock out is; I had been trying to wrap my mind around that one for a little while now. As to the renaming of the lesson... well I just don't know what to do with it. I know the current name is misleading, and a lock out is more of a concept then any one movement, but that still leaves me high and dry on a name. crazy I've considered just posting as the "Thomas Prayer Move", but would that really work?

For the moment I'm going to leave it where it is, but will definitely add a note that it is not at all the only kind of lock out, if in fact it is one at all.

Now this brings me to another question that should probably be a new thread; do you think that concept based lessons are more important or productive then single movement tutorials? I know when I was first starting, the concept lessons were little use to me, because it was much easier to think about poi as a progression of learning on move after the other. As I have advanced I have focused primarily upon general concepts to advance my poi spinning, but still fall back on the single move tutorials when I get stuck. At the moment it seems no matter how far I progress, it still helps to have things broken down in the same way they were when I started, but alot of the more advanced movements are losely based on concepts (such as this Prayer move). Is there a point you feel one move tutorials should stop? If not, what should I (or any one who posts one) name something that they do post, or do all of these moves deserve a discussion like this one?

Ok I know that probably babbled a little bit, but I do want say how much I appreciate your encouragement and input. I hope all is well and life is busy in the best kind of way.
Happy spinning