Forums > Social Chat > QED - what does it mean?

Login/Join to Participate

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
You know that latin phrase that is shortened down to QED (I think it's quod erat demonstrandum not too sure though)

what does it mean????

Dilbert's Words of Wisdom -
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either!
You are slower than a herd of turtles stampedeing through peanut butter!

Oh yeah.... Don't tell the ants

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"for was demonstrated"

if my latin word for word translation serves me correctly.

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
I thought it was summat like that cheers

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either!

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
mmmggrrrr, there is a moer "English" translation which I used to know...but alas these little gems of relatively useless info fade from my mammory

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
according to the oed (oxford english dictionary) it translates as:

"which was to be proved"

of course, i reckon it stands for 'quantum electrodynamics' but that's cos i like physics and think feynman was one of the coolest mutha****as to walk the planet - a genius mixed with a ridiculously nice, funny bloke.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
It's an abbreviation for the latin phrase "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" that basically means "which was to be demostrated"

Generally used to mean the 'end of the proof'. It does not mean, and you should never mean it to mean, and you should always be mean to the people who mean it to mean, 'no more discussion to be entered into' or 'fait accompli' or any other 'end of story, period, you are wrong and I am right'. It simply means that you have finished presenting your burden of proof. Whether the other side accepts it is irrelevant to Q.E.D.

I personally used to like Quantum Electrodynamics, until I had to take a grad level class on the subject. It is definitely prettier from the popular physics point of view.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
hehehe...

Nathdaninja has crystaline minerals in her (his?) breasts! I bet that is very pretty.

(sorry - feeling juvinile again today )

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

ChorinBRONZE Member
217 posts

Posted:
I hadn't noticed Nathdaninja's sparkley breasts!

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
Hey...keep your eye of my sparkly (.)(.)'s
You'll give me a complex

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.