Holzy1SILVER Member

Posted:
so, this has probably been done before.. but not correctly.

this will be your opportunity to discuss your favorite bands/rappers/musicians - why you like them, what makes them so good, why they should be viewed in high regard.. or your most hated musician - what you don't like about them, etc etc.. maybe we have some musicians here on the forum, so you should share with us what instrument(s) you play and what music you like playing.. and also y'all should discuss what music you like to spin poi with.

my all time favorite *band* is Incubus. they do a good job of touching on several different styles of rock, they make some very heavy jams, they do very chill jams, trippy songs, really any kind of alternative rock you could be into Incubus does it. and they're the best for singalongs.. especially if you're me cuz i can match Brandon Boyd's voice really well.

my all time favorite *rapper* is Nas. whilst most people argue about tupac or biggie smalls being the two best rappers ever, they fail to realize that biggie smalls was a fat high school dropout drug dealing gangbangin [censored]. yes, he was a good rapper. yes, his style was very unique. yes, his ability to tell stories in rhyme form is unmatchable. but have you ever really listened to what he conveys in his rap? very negative. i can go further with that but it'll take all day. tupac was a little different. his idea was to spread love and unity throughout the black community, but therein lies the problem. he only cared about his own people, and thought the rest of the world didn't matter. he only preached to the ghetto, which is what made him such a pillar of hip hop culture but the world is much bigger than the ghetto. and he's another one that was just another jailbird two-timin' drug dealin' gunslingin gangbangin murderer.

however.. nas is different. nas can tell a story in a very unique, poetic way and his rap focuses more on the realities of life and his own personal struggle to be a better man through hip-hop. and he also openly dissed the hell out of jay-z, whom i hate with a passion. nas prefers to sing the song of street blues, rather than the usual BS you hear in mainstream rap - bitches, hustlin, and guns. you might hear about his escapades with women, or his days as a youth standin on the street corner, or his glock.. but he doesn't EVER centralize on that. nas is good at sticking to the subject matter of a song and not writing corny, pointless rap like mainstreamers do.

and as for my favorite music to spin to.. techno, of course. well, house and hard house to be specific. if i'm spinnin heavier poi i like house because it's a bit slower than your standard techno music and i can flow better with it. hard house is quicker, and it opens up a lot of dance possibilities for me because i really, REALLY get into it.. it's my fave, and plus with hard house i can either do heavy poi or regular glowsticks.. but with glowsticks i prefer drum n bass. DnB is really fast-paced and with something light like glowsticks i can really whip them things around.

oh and i almost forgot. i don't play any instruments but i write rap lyrics and make beats with the help of a close friend of mine. we use Reason and Pro Tools. and by we i mean he, he does all the technical stuff as i tell him what type of sounds to make because i have a MUCH deeper understanding of hip-hop than he does. i don't have any ready-made songs to share with you guys cuz my "producer" is a lazy f%&k and i can't EVER get him to sit down with me to make beats for me to rap to (cuz all he ever does is smoke pot), but we have projects in the works.
oh yeah and i also sing, i have a .."decent" voice. i just like to sing regardless, it's spiritually soothing.

so that's my twist, what do y'all think?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Incubus are a good choice *thumbs up* I loved their EP and love all their albums up to Morning View, not too sure I like their newest stuff.

My favourite all time band (if I HAVE to choose) is Ugly Duckling. They are a funky hip hop 3 piece, 2 MCs and 1 DJ and they are so happy and funny I love them. I am into quite a bit of hiphop, as long as it's funky and has a positive vibe.

Also love Reggae, mainly Fat Freddy's Drop, Bedouin Soundclash, Michael franti, etc etc etc... smile

When I go to the gym or spin I love to listen to DISCO! biggrin There's nothing better than a bit of Funkytown in your ears when you're running on the treadmill getting nowhere! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
well done on Incubus Jo smile they are awesome! i'm quite pleased by their new stuff though. It's different from what they started out as, but it's still quality.

I think morning view was definately the turning point (and make yourself to some extent) cause they moved away from their more funk/metal kinda style and started to mellow out. I like how developed their new stuff is, i can appreciate the harmonies and the more complicated textures, but i do love the rawness of the older music. I guess it depends what mood i'm in!

I couldn't say which album is my fav-love each one for a different reason, but i admit a crow left of the murder was a slight dip in the road...

Loved going to see them live bounce

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

Holzy1SILVER Member

Posted:
everyone gave light grenades a bad rap, i don't know why. yeah it's a more acoustic sound, not nearly as heavy as back in the day (like s.c.i.e.n.c.e.. mm, good album) but i fell in love with light grenades the first time i heard it. me and some friends sat and listened to it front to back. and i wouldn't call their newer work a "different" sound because they still put it down like incubus, they just utilize more carrying tunes and more chill-out melodies. being stoned helps your cause though lol

never saw them live. wish i did, they did a show in my area a few months back and i'm still kickin myself in the ass for not goin.

and lol @ jo, i don't do it in public but i secretly love disco <3 my favorite pizza place always has disco playin for some reason, i always break it down and start dancin whenever they play disco lol

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, Incubus is awesome! Have almost all their albums...

But I must say, I saw Muse live and they totally rocked the socks off my feet! They were so brilliant I went and bought their cds and live dvd... just brilliant!

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Holzy I've seen Incubus three times live, yeah they are awesome but the first 5 rows are just full of teenage girls screaming "BRANDON!!!" ubblol

Disco rocks, I can't help but dance to it! *wiggle wiggle*

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
i'm totally not one of those screaming girls on the barrier... and then complain for 4 days about bruising... rolleyes nah i just like to have a good view - lets face it, i'm pretty small and behind the 5 rows of screaming girls is always a bunch of tall sweaty boys with elbows at head height whacking you in the face to the beat :
bounce <-sort of like that

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...