Vicious101newbie
1 post

Posted:
I have been trying this for weeks and I just can't do it. My hand eye co-ordination is just horrid.

I can do other things like butterflys and buzzsaw that goes over my head into a rev butterfly back back down and all that fancy stuff.

But I just can't do that 3 beat weave, I can do a 2 beat one. Is there any other tricks or advice? I follow the slow motion part for part but as soon as I put a second poi on, I spin and knot them both up. But with one poi I can do it perfectly =\

I iz confused!

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Seriously, just BREATHE and relax and practice the moves without the poi. Like watch a tutorial and while you are sitting at the computer just follow the movements with your hands. Then with the poi, just BREATHE and go SLOW!

It took me forever to do the 3bw but a friend told me to relax, go slow, and focus and it just clicked. Now I have no idea how I didn't know how to do it smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
If you have someone around who can do it try get them to show you with a staff. Right over left, uncross, left over right, uncross. This seems to teach your hands what to do in the right timing so when you have poi it seems to work better. Or have someone with long arms behind you do the timing.

Like MeekoKiddo says, teach your hands. Godluck. plus there are a zillion threads on weave issues. Do a Durbs and search and maybe yee shall find wink
Also NYC started a newbie help thread for stuff like this biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
One thing that may help (I did it when I was just messing around with stuff but it seems useful) is to spin split-time on either side of your body with your arms crossed.

So now you have the opposite side right. Now, just get the feel of moving your lower hand over the top and straight to the other side.

Wash rinse and repeat. Then start cutting down on the number of turns.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
i jus kept trying till it clicked dont give up no matter how frustrating it gets

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I spent an hour and about 4 different methods with a friend yesterday and he broke it into "Hug:" and "scoop" to make sense.
Also we used these...
Non-Https Image Link

Half way between a club and poi so cant tangle but still have some flex. Used different colours in each hand and I mirrored the colours and he copied. Worked well for Floss.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
1.) with one poi in one hand, practice the "over, under, and back out" movement first with your right hand then with your left. do this until you can do it without thinking.
2.) with both poi do a figure of 8 movement in front of you - arms fully extended so the movement is nice and slow. switch which hand is one top each time.
3.) then do it split time - nice and slow with big arm movements.
and you magically end up weaving. dont think about it too hard and keep at it and it will just happen one day smile

if i could be a busy busy bee...

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
As Gnor said, a staff can be used as "training wheels" to very good effect. Think of each end of the staff as one of your poi. Here are two posts I made on tribe.net on this subject:

https://tribes.tribe.net/poinewbies/threa...d0-4f9f3ff43544
https://tribes.tribe.net/poinewbies/threa...66-14a45afb5ecb

If you still need help after trying with a staff, here is a recap of several different perspectives on how to learn the weave (several have been mentioned already):

*prep: do a same-time figure-eight with both poi, like a body cross with a jump rope:
a. Body cross w/ Right hand over left.
b. Body cross w/ Left hand over right.

*Make sure you can do both 2-beats (split-time):
a. Right hand leading over left.
b. Left hand leading over right.

*Practice over under back with each hand individually.

*Practice the untwist>twist on either side of your body. Here is Rev's video of the positions (followed by 5-beat positions, which adds an extra twist).

*Visualize yourself facing down a hallway, with a wall to your right and a wall to your left:
1. Turn your torso to face the right wall. go through the first 3 positions in Rev's video: left arm over right > untwist > twist > right arm over left.
2. Turn your torso back to face down the hall, and continue on turning to face the left wall. Your hands and poi will move through the hallway and "cross over" the center of the hallway, on their way over to the other wall.
3. Once your torso is facing the left wall, go through the first 3 positions in Rev's video: (this time) right arm over left > untwist > twist > left arm over right.
4. Repeat this with a poi in each hand, over and over, until it turns into a clean 3-beat weave.

*Ask Arashi about the "bonk" method. rolleyes

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon