Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Beginner Intermediate Advanced

Login/Join to Participate

Spednewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hello HoPpers
Just out of curiosity, what makes a spinner an advanced or intermediate spinner, such as what moves etc.
Peace

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
id say a beginner can do moves such as butterfly, weave, windmill and a couple of basic turns. intermediate can do transitions between moves and some other stuff like crosses, behing the back, flowers etc. advanced can do smooth transitions between all or most moves and make it flow, along with moves i still have to learn like waist wraps and 'grooves'

I love the fact you can only get better and there is not limit to learning new things and making other moves look better. Such as tanglers

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
there is no criteria as such. time, experience, knowledge/understanding of spinning and concepts, clean spinning, freedom of movement and individuality/creativity make you 'advanced', in my opinion.

none of these things can be attained in a short period of time. with time comes great wisdom.

Certain moves are not an indication of spinning level. I've heard of people being taught anti spin, tangles, hybrids, all sorts of difficult moves, and then after the lessons going up to the teacher and asking how to do a three beat weave because they just can't get their head around it.

just enjoy that you spin, and sure enough, in time, you will be considered an advanced spinner. these things cannot be rushed.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
i would imagine the levels depend on how you look and feel with poi. totally agree with how LTC said it. itl come with time smile

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
yeh, go with LTCs answer, it was much better than mine! looking fluent when spinning usually shows the level though

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
Determining someones abilities by the number of moves they know sounds like rubbish to me. I've seen people execute a threebeat weave and have it look better than some people's waist wraps. I really agree with LTC when it comes to the fluidity of a spinner determining his ability, however im rather against the entire concept of defining your ability into these categories. Everyone's a unique artist, and some people you may consider "beginner" are to other's quite advanced. Well that's my 2¢ anyways...

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Limits_To_Contest

Certain moves are not an indication of spinning level. I've heard of people being taught anti spin, tangles, hybrids, all sorts of difficult moves, and then after the lessons going up to the teacher and asking how to do a three beat weave because they just can't get their head around it.

Yep I agree with that.
I have till recently been the classic wave it all around and what the hell spinner, but now when I teach beginners I show them, flowers, including antispin before 3bt weave cos they are easier for people to get their head around. Everything stays on the same side of the body... very hard to hit yourself doing flowers... ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Spednewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Im just wondering because Im contemplating on buying a DVD soon, but I know all of the moves in Art of Poi (except 1 handed butterfly...)and a few extra btb ones, but I don't think Im ready for Scales of Poi or encyclo-poi-dea. Are there any DVDs that are like a Transition between them?

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
Well scales of poi, from what i recall, focuses on things a spinner of any level can work on. It covers a few difficult concepts, but nothing that you couldn't just pass over until your ready for it (I'm remembering butterfly buzz saw flowers), but for the most part i think any spinner can gain a lot from it.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
scales of poi is a must for planes training, he teache great control and you will see poi in a different light smile

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
yep, i got scales of poi and its a great dvd. Got it first with the thinking that before trying all different moves and getting stuck just doing the moves i would try and look more on the side of planes, different ways of holding the poi and making more simple moves look better before trying to a monster move that just looks crap anyway.

i said move a lot then, are well cant be bothered to re-write!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Scales of Poi is for every level. Encyclo-poi-dia has more 'tricky stuff'. Get em both. It's not like you'll get corrupted seeing stuff that's too grown up for you or something!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

yukahallackSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
^ That's very true, even if you get a DVD with things you consider 'too hard' it can be an inspiration for you to learn more, and you'll grow into it later so it would never be a waste biggrin

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
I got the Encyclo-Poi-dia a while back and its great for when you start to run out of ideas / Insperation.
Last week i bought the Scales of Poi fron Nick after attending his workshops at Play. And i agree with Splinterific that DVD will compleatly change the way you look at poi.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep - Scales of Poi is great.
As it's name implies, it's like the equivalent of musical scales. Once you've learned them, they open up a potentially infinite number of moves.
Also, some scales are more tricky than others, but no-more/less important.

I've yet to see encylopoidia, but from what I've heard it's more "trick" based, where as S-o-P is more "theory" based. But don't let the word "theory" put you off smile
The more theory you know, the more you can play around with stuff yourself.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Just ordered encylopoidia and 2 white led light wand things. Scales of poi is great but it doesnt go into moves such as hyperloops or air wraps. Trying to learn the butterfly hyperloop using scales of poi wont work!

Nicks hyperloop lesson on youtube is great though

oh- i dont think its possible to learn how to do butterfly hyperloop, even if you do learn all the scales