MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I made 3 GIFs last night from some practice footage I had chillin' on my HDD. I made them to learn how to make GIFs from video but figured Id post 'em in my gallery since they might be helpful to someone.

They can be found here:

Parallel Anti-Spin Reel

Parallel Lock Outs

Buzz Saw Lock Outs

I might go through a little more of this footage (since I have quite a bit) and post a few more GIFs later. Ill also be taking some proper tutorial footage some time soon and perhaps start working on a few tut pages.

In the mean time, does anyone know how I can get rid of the digitalization on the GIFs? Im using premiere to convert the raw video into a GIF sequence then Image Ready to convert the image sequence into an animated GIF. Doing this is leaving lines in my pic tho.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
cool stuff.

Gif's are generally pretty dirty things.

Number of colours on yours is really low maybe bump it up to 32, might wanna try using a different pallette. eg perceptual instead of windows

great stuff tho,

laters,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Colors are set to 32. Not sure bout your computer but the colors look ok from here. The poi are indeed a bit hard to see but I think that has more to do with the poor quality of the footage. As I said, this was just a test with practice footage. Ill get around to filming stuff thats easier to see when turned into a gif some time soon.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nice,

I been playing about with paralell anti-spins a bit too, go to learn to turn thoes reels ubblove

the buzzsaw yin-yang is nice to, tho not very locked out.

funnily i do the parrallel lockouts with the bottom hand making the small circle, but then im also into them wallplane and wastwrapped wink but they are a great move and can pe put all over the place, thanks for turning them upside down for me.

T :wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
During that practice I turned the parallel reels, but it was a bit sloppy and didnt fit well in a gif. Ill get it when I take some better footage.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
They look good - I had no problems working out what was going on, and the fact that they were GIFs didn't bother me, in fact the stylisation made it easier to work out what was going on IMO. Definitely having some of these for other moves would be very nice.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
And so it shall be...

Two more for yas:
Time Changing Fountain
Goofy Chase Flower 360

I think thats all I can really make with the footage I have. I move around too much. Hopefully Ill be getting new footage this Sunday.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
The chase flower 360 is quite nice. I wonder how it would look with anti-spin.

GIF is a great medium for poi moves, no hassles with bulky files or missing codecs.

Any chance you will make it to PDF next month?

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, that's a goofy chase flower meaning one poi is doing anti-spin while the other isn't. Look closely at the gif. My left hand is anti-spinning and my right is not. Theres another 'goofy' variation as well in which your poi are spinning in opposite directions while your arms are spinning in the same direction. This also involves anti-spinning one poi.

And yes... Ill be at PDF.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Whoa, I see it now. It's the scissor arm rotation that threw me off. Very nice! I'll have to practice that one.

Sweet, This will be my first PDF. I'm looking forward to seeing some HoPers up there.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Those are great!
Very clear to watch and understand, thank you
~A

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
these are wonderful, icon.
congratulations on being so masterly.
hug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks!
Especially for the buzzsaw lockouts.
Do they really have to lockout? Flow is the the way to go no?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Not sure what you mean by that. Of course you don't have to do the lockouts... But then you just end up with extended circles. I dunno, it seems to flow pretty well to me... But seeing as how I made it up and I consider myself to flow pretty well, maybe Im just biased.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
love the GIF's - Thanks ICON smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I was refering to the comments criticising you not locking out (I assuming stopping).

I am saying I don't think locking out is necessary.

Unless you aspire to robotism, but that's what seperates us from the animals. biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i like the ones with more colours better - very clear indeed.

i absolutely adore the location - where is it...?

also, congratulations for reminding everyone that tails are far and away the best poi for teaching a move via video smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
diffrent coloured tails would be good too! smile

T wave

-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I still like the fact that you get to see all the other gifs below while you're watching the first one. I'd definitely want 16 different tessellated gifs of ICoN each doing one move as my screensaver.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
DSS:

The lockout is when I stop rotation of my arms and let the poi spin a beat... Its also used in flowers. Of course you gotta lock out to do such moves, otherwise they wouldnt be the same. I dont think lockouts are stoppy or robotic in any real way. They just help create different patterns.

Cole:

Sure, the 32 color gifs are better but colors take quite a toll on file size. The worst part about GIFs is that they're huge so you either have to have very few colors, very few frames, or very small image. I feel that fewer frames and smaller images are harder to learn from than one with few colors... Hence, they must be sacrificed.

The space you see is a room in a warehouse that we (Philly Fire) rented for the winter months. Its not a bad place, and I suppose it can set a cool backdrop and give a certain feel to a video... But its not great for GIFs like these which should be really clean and easy to see. Its also rather ugly after youve been spinning there for a few months.

Nx:

Thanks for the feedback. Considering I left those poi in California the other week, I guess Im gonna have to get a different set which will hopefully be better suited. Got any recommendations for a good set of UV tailed poi?

NYC:

Yes, that would be splendid indeed. Too bad I dunno how to make screen savers otherwise Id hook you up!

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
nice moves, good work on the tails!

parallel antispin reels actually feel pretty good! I've been working on the split time antispin reels, I just find my timing has a tendency to get all confused

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
That's wicked.
There's a serious deficiency in spinners here, I've been looking for some new moves to learn, thanks.
They're pretty fun.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
try poitoy, they are the best tials ive come across.

nice moves.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
Very cool I had never thought of or come across a buzzsaw w/ lockouts before, very cool, all of it, the people around you are lucky to be able to see this stuff.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.