Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Help!! I Can't Do Butterfly!! =S

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Skater_Rock_Chicmember
32 posts

Posted:
Hey!

I can do weave n stuff but i can do butterfly! any tips?

Thanks ubbrollsmile

x ubbloco x

i am the bearer of one A* GCSE, 8 A's, 4 B's and one C!! biggrin YAY!!

X X x LoVe YOu aLL x X X

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
Firstly this site is HUGE and as a result most things have been discussed so before making a thred pleas try the search function at the top smile

But i'm assuming your problem is that they hit at the top/bottom, your probably just need to move one hand slightly forwards or slightly back, start learning with your hands further apart then learn to do it with them together. biggrin hope that helps

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hi Skater,

Here is

Hand position (video)

You can see on the picture, that one hand

is closer to your body and upper than the

other hand.

Your body stance changes. You stay wall

plane we say(facing towards the circles).

Butterfly (video)

In wall plane position with both Poi

vertical start opposite circles

straight into the butterfly. You can

start with other direction of Poi too.

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
I don't like it when other people link me away when I ask a simple question, but the other forums are probably more help than me. One suggestion I can give, though, is that when I have trouble getting new poi moves two things that really help are watching videos (and there should be a video for the butterfly in the "lessons" section of this site) and trying them with something shorter and solid (I generally use my juggling clubs, but like, pencils have also functioned. TV remotes) to try and experiment with hand position and stuff. It also allows you to go much more slowly to wrap your head around things. Do you use poi with ribbons? They make butterfly a world harder, when you're just learning. If you are, try using socks filled with pennies tied in a knot to start off, then add the ribbons later.

jlevine15GOLD Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Saskeah must have a tough noggin, and she definitely doesn't have testicles. I would suggest something other than pennies to fill that sock; tennis balls, racquet balls, hacky-sacks (I'm sure we all have one somewhere). Great suggestion with the solid objects though. I will surely try that myself.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
When i had trouble with butterfly I tried doing the giant butterfly first. Giant butterfly is easier in my book, so have a go a few times, then stop as your arms cross in the middle and try to keep the poi going (fingertips to the sky).
That was how the penny dropped for me anyhow

killmyidolsnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Is it just me or does the close uo video here no match the instructions. I'm having real trouble because the directions say to rotate INWARD until PALMS FACE UP which isn't what looks to be happening in the picture. Any chance of a vidoe of the whole move start to finish so I can get a clearer image of how to go into it, not just the end product. To start I spin the poi at my side but does it matter if my palms are up or down? Cheers

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
your palms should be facing each other and make sure you dont whip them too fast let the wait of the poi do the work

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
the hop videos for butterfly are rubbish, if i have time i'll get some before i go out tonight and post them here

fireflyfaeriejourneyman
73 posts

Posted:
i can only do butterfly backwards lol.
i find it helps if one arm is slightly further than the other, meaning they are less likly to hit each other till you get used to spinning.
bounce2 hehe

euphoria651BRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
When i had trouble with butterfly I tried doing the giant butterfly first. Giant butterfly is easier in my book, so have a go a few times, then stop as your arms cross in the middle and try to keep the poi going (fingertips to the sky).
That was how the penny dropped for me anyhow

best piece of advice ever

fingerblistersnewbie
1 post

Posted:
I had trouble with the butterfly at first, but I eventually figured out how to do it.

1. start the right (or dominant) hand poi in a forward swing.
2. Rotate your hand so the poi is spinning in a vertical plane in front of you. It should be such that if you were standing facing a wall, the poi would not hit the wall.
3. Being careful not to hit yourself in the head, start spinning the poi at an angle so that when it's at the top of its swing, it's close to your head, and when it's at the bottom, it's farther away.
4. Switch hands and do the same thing with the left, but instead angle the poi away from your head.
5. Once you can get the angled spin reliably, use both poi. A person standing to your side should see the poi trace an X-shape in the air.

Hope this helps some future user.

hippyjimmyBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
this may seem like the dumbest qeustion ever, but ive seen video after video after video an read forum after forum on the butterfly.......and my issue is understandomng how its possible .......as in i cant even begin to try to do it......... as most stuff ive seen says hands are next to eachother and almost touching.....and i just cannot understand how either poi can sucseefully do a circle without wrapping round one arm or at least knocking it.........if someone is able to explain the probably very simple concept to me i may be able to begin to TRY to learn it lol.....btw ive only been doing poi for a day .....this is the simplist seeming move that i havent learnt yet......or at least i have been told by friends before i moved it was. frown feel free to critisise me,,,, i know practicaly nothing and dont excpect to this early. but it would be nice to better understand the concept so i can try this........although its been explained alot......i just cant seem to grasp the idea of it. silly me

60s guy stuck in 2007......people tend to think ur wierd if ou wear tye dye clothes for some reason........the poncho i can understand.....but tye dye lol

DeempjeSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
One arm is slightly in front of the other

Well how about that...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
" Re: Help!! I Can't Do Butt... "

:giggle:

hippyjimmyBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rellizate

Or one poi is ever-so-slightly in front of the other in the cirlce. E.g. when one is at the top, the other may be at 11:50pm

i understand that part.... but the bit i odnt understand.....and where i have trouble...is if your hands are right next to each other.......even if one infront of other.......wouldent one of poi inevitably wrap round one of your arms?

ive only been doing poi for about 2 days now lol so i dont expect much, i can currently do what i think is 2 or 3 beat or at least some kind of weave standing up and sitting in meditive position ( like balanced on tree stump or whatever to help me with balance) i like to learn sitting as well as i find it a bit harder....so it must help corodination or skill in some way...maybe not rolleyes and buzsaw in sitting and standing as well as catches and corkscrew in both stances and i can NEARLY do a very very bad backward weave... is the butterfly a bit advanced atm? should i put the butterfly on hold for a while and try some other things? if so any recomendations? biggrin

60s guy stuck in 2007......people tend to think ur wierd if ou wear tye dye clothes for some reason........the poncho i can understand.....but tye dye lol

hippyjimmyBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
think i nearly got it in last practice, still cant get hands next to eachother....one poi just wraps around arm......so my question still stands... confusedhow can the butterfly be done seeing as even if hands are slightly infront/behind one another... the fact hand are so close to one another seems to state that the poi closest to you will wrap round your arm. confused

sorry for my lack of ability to get my head around this, just cant comprhend how the above is possible it actually seems like magic lol. its soo silly of me as it appears to be a fairly basic move/trick/whatever confused

on the plus side ive nearly got the backward weave down....sucsessfly done at ok level like twice in last practice main issue is telling hands to keep spining after side change lol but thats irrelivant to thread so ill shut up now

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
jimmy..the best route to the butterfly ( BF ) is to spin the circles with your arms as far apart as comfortable and gradually bring them closer together while repeating the mantra

one poi ahead of the other

until you get your hands close together

You'll find you have a natural preference for one hand being "on top" of the other , which is ok when you're first starting out but you should really aim for being as comfortable with "the other" hand on top as well. soon you'll be switching, right hand on top, left hand on top.

The BF is a pretty basic move, and rather frustrating to get the hang of But once you do, you'll find yourself wondering just what all the confusion was about. Don't forget. there's a backwards version of this too

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Your thinking, far, far, far too much about it!

You need to just do it, and it will work, and then you can worry about how its actually working. I've never known anyone to make a butterfly seem so complicated in my life! wink

But anyway, to get you on track with it, the above advice is good, but can also create tangling/hitting problems. If you find that doesn't work for you, another strategy is to have one arm (to make it easier to understand I'll say right, but it could be your left if your more comfortable with that) diagonally above the other.

So your right hand is above and right of your left hand. Importantly, your right hand is also SLIGHTLY(your hands are almost at the same level) in front of your left hand. Now, this is fine of course, until your left poi wraps around your right hand. (If the poi wraps around your arm or wrist, then you are holding that hand far to far in front, pull it back).

Pay attention to where in the circle this happens. You'll find its when your left poi is coming down in it's circle. So from your perspective its when your left poi is at 3'o clock. So at this point, what you need to do is to very, very, very slightly, pull your right hand back, out of the way. Its a very subtle movement, which should almost be subconsious. If you pull to much, then you will pull the poi out of the plane. Don't think about it too much! If your left poi is brushing the front of your right hand then you are getting it almost right.

This will look messy at first, but with some practice it'll look fine.

The other way to do it. Which is not a great way as you have to bend your planes, but is a very useful teaching/learning technique, is to start spinning circles by your sides (like you would before doing a weave- no crossing over), and slowly bend the poi in until they're in front of you, and before you know it, you're doing a butterfly. As soon as you can do a butterfly, learn how to stall one poi over the arm (if you need help with stalls, then I'm sure theres info on that) and change the direction of the poi, so that you can go from a weave to a butterfly and back again without stopping your poi, or bending your planes.

Good luck with it. Don't think too hard, just let it happen. It works because poi are not wide solid things, but bendy, thin things that can cope with slight brushing of each other and moving in very confined spaces and still keep going. Keep us posted on your progress...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
giggles at butts and Jonny Ucof
Get someone with really long arms who can do it to stand behind you holding your poi to teach you the rhytym. Works for teaching thread the needle as well.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I always find it easier to try split time and then slowly alter the timing.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I generally go into it with split time too

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

" Re: Help!! I Can't Do Butt... "

:giggle:

Heh... I only just got this because this thread needs to be first on the Forum List for one to see that. I thought you were just taking the erfly off yourself to be perverted. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

hippyjimmyBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
yay i actually wrote notes down and took with me and now i can do it easily enough smile still dont really understand how im doing it............one too many intoxicated nights probably lol ubbrollsmile ubbloco

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Stall one from spinning by your sides, or even better, a weave. Start it spinning in the opposite direction whilst turning 90 degrees towards it. Hey Presto, you're doing a butterfly!

(Does that make any sense?)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

_Karla_BRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
i JUST learned the butterfly.
my advice is to watch what her hands are doing!
dont try to hard to put one out furthur of lower then the other, try to make the sweeping motion shes doing in the video!
the hand motion is kind of like a butterfly flapping!
slowly bring it closer together and as you get better you'll figure out exxactly where to position your hands so the dont get tangledor wrapped around your wrists.try to make your hand be synchronized
make them both go out and down at the same time, that way the poi wont get wrapped around your wrists.
i had the same problem with that one for the longest time!
hope that helps!
-karla

dnikyreverseSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
hey guys its simple. i used to have trouble with butterflies , but it just took some time to figure it out.

try starting with your poi just hanging there and then swing them both inward in front of you. Then bring one hand right above the other(i prefer left over right). Just kinda stack your hands in front of you. try to angle the poi a little bit so they don't hit each other. and enjoy doing the basic butterfly. =P biggrin

nynysutsBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
I accidentally learnt how to do butterfly today. I was mucking about swinging circles in front of me and i crossed my arms over. Hey presto, I was doing the Butterfly. I then bought my whole family out to watch. Me? sad?

I don't spin poi, I get tangled up in them. Something tells me burns are out of the question!!

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Saskeah

I don't like it when other people link me away when I ask a simple question... ...things that really help are watching videos (and there should be a video for the butterfly in the "lessons" section of this site)

Saskeah, The 2 links that Richee posted in the post before yours where to the butterfly videos on THIS site. wink

Written by: Saskeah

...and trying them with something shorter and solid (I generally use my juggling clubs, but like, pencils have also functioned. TV remotes) to try and experiment with hand position and stuff. It also allows you to go much more slowly to wrap your head around things. Do you use poi with ribbons? They make butterfly a world harder, when you're just learning.

Good points on using rigid objects! Socks are way easier than streamers.

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
So, everyone seems to be saying that your hands are in a static position relative to each other, ie "one hand stacked on top of the other" or "one hand is slightly in front of the other". This mindset can be miss leading as to how the poi are actually passing each other.

To illustrate what is happening, make a giant butterfly motion with just your arms. Notice that as your arms cross high up, 'arm A' is behind 'arm B'... Now as your arms reach the horizontal position 'arm A' is now crossed over the top of 'arm B'... Now as they uncross low, notice that 'arm A' is in front of 'arm B'.

So, if your right poi enters behind it will go: high-behind, horizontal-on top, low-in front.

When you do a small butterfly the crossover point is not at the arms, wrists, or hands, but on the poi body (tether) itself, somewhat near the handle. It follows the same relationship as the arms did in the giant butterfly example.

So 3 key things to remember are:
the top poi's plane is bent back/up a little, and the other is bent down/forward, so that from the side you'd see a tall thin X (As Fingerblisters pointed out).
In order not to hit your hands, your poi planes should be at slight angles out towards the side, making a squashed >< if you looked down from above.
Focus on maintaining the behind > top > in front folding relationship.

It isn't that important where your hands are positioned and facing. One can do clean butterflies in just about any hand position:
Same hand same poi on top.
Opposite hand as poi on top (the poi tethers "kiss: they touch and slid off, rather than tangle).
Top hand slightly back.
Top hand slightly forward (poi tethers will likely "kiss").
Hands next to each other.
Hands Crossed over each other (opens whole new can of worms, as you are now spinning in a way analogous with a reverse/outward butterfly).

In all of those positions your hands can face however you want:
palms down.
palms up.
palm A up palm B down, and vice versa.
Palms facing each other.
Knuckles facing each other.
Both Palms face right, and vice versa.

In the above examples your hand positions can be static or you can be rotating your wrists in various ways.

As you focus on the 3 keys you will naturally find one of these hand positions that works for you. The others would be rather OCD to explore right away for a beginner. However, once you start getting into multi-beat 'threads', inswings, inversions, introversion, insides, split threads, and other various complicated bits of gobbledegook, you will start to encounter the above mentioned.

One more interesting exercise is to start in a giant butterfly and slowly work the crossover point down your arms > wrists > hands to the poi tether. Then keep separation your poi so that the crossover point travels all the way along the tether up to the head, until your small circles are separated. Now reverse the process until you get back to giant butterfly.

Hope that is helpful,
-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I'd like to say, I've said it a few times...I like tailed because it helps you see the planes which is important in moves like this

and

I learned by moving into it from split time wall plane circles that I brought in front of me and doing so slowly and eventually brought hands together and relatively still

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Page: