JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
My pipe band just got new heads for all of their snare drums, so I have nine 14" circles of kevlar cloth. With some effort, I should be able to remove the plastic coating, which I've alread done on one. The weave is quite a bit thicker than wicking, so I dont' know how absorbant it will be. I plan to experiment a good bit and let you all know how it turns out.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Are they Bear Drum heads?

Was going to get one for my drums, never thought of burning them... How thick are they?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
They're mostly Remo, but there's a couple Premiers and an Aquarian in there, too. They're not very thick, at most 1/16th of an inch, and they're really dense.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
sorry sparkey, I tried this with some of my band's old premier heads, when we got new heads for scotland... the weave is too tight. they're meant to be strung tight, so theres no real absorbancy. also, they're treated with something that not only further reduces absorbancy, but smells rank when burned...

keep swinging the toms, and good luck this competition season

~greg

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. Oh, well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, what am I going to do with all these crappy drum heads?

-James

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
bulletproof yourself :P

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.