Fantasy_Freaknewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hi everybody.

I was wondering if anybody had a guideline for a fire-staff made of WOOD. What kind of wood should I use and what can I do to prevent the ends of the stick from burning?
The reason I want this is that I am performing at a medieval-center, where no alluminium staffs are allowed!
Experiences with wooden staffs?

thanks

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
You should PM a guy named Rikstik, he has been usiong a wooden staff for about 5 years i think, he should be able to tell you of a place to get them or something like that

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
What's a bo staff made of?

That would be good.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
My advice would be to use a dark wood like Utily or Oak they are stronger and more resistant to fire. They will still burn but they should not burn all the way through or burn as quickly as softwood like pine, Birch ets...(all the white woods)
To prevent the ends from burning I would wrap tinfoil around the ends where your wick are this will help insulate the wood from the fire and heat. There are also some heat resistant varnishes and paints (the type they use on and around fireplaces) that you can get at most hardware stores but check the info on the can to make sure they are not flammible. If your unsure ask one of the shop assistants. Hope this is helpfull. biggrin

To play it safe is not to play

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Can you make or retro fit a glaive or spear or would the off centre weighting make it too hard?

Below is a glaive we modified. The shaft is about 5 ft long and the head is forged and was combat legal for our group. The metal head protects the wood from damage. Wooden staff that we made a few years ago just had steel piping over the wood then the kevlar attached and a leather wrap in the middle for grip.

If you have ali or steel tubing under your wicking would it matter. I asume its the look of the aliminium staff thats the problem. Is another option doing a quickie leather wrap of the whole staff length.

Does your staff have to stand up to close inspection?

Non-Https Image Link

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Tinfoil will melt so i'd steer clear of that if you can. Try to get a hold of some aluminium tape if you can. Its easy enough to buy online.

A handy cheaper alternative is to cut up a can from whatever soft drink happened to be lying around. Wrap it around the stick. Voila...

Another alternative is the method i use to make sure my dowel cores dont get burned out of my own ali staffs. I wrap the dowel in a strip of newspaper that is covered in PVA glue. This forms a fire proof layer around the wood as the PVA gets harder with heat. So you could try covering a section of wood in the PVA glue (or white glue as its often labelled) then seyt fire to it and see what happens.

So some experiments and see what happens..

Willow is a lovely wood for staffs.... Ash aswell.... Depends on how heavy you want it.... I found it very hard to find any kind of hard wood in ireland already turned into dowel. At least at a resonable price... Unless your turing it yourself...

A ready made bo or a jo could be just the job. Check out the martial arts stores and see whats around.

best of luck

smile

Love is the law.

Fantasy_Freaknewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thank you very much guys...

I will consider all of your suggestions and try to experiment a little myself...

Fantasy_Freaknewbie
3 posts

Posted:
No it does not have to stand up to close inspection;)

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
You can get hard wood dowels from most large DIY stores but usually a cheaper alternative is to buy hardwood broom handles. Here they sell some at B&Q which are about the right length.

And ado-p tinfoil (or as its also known as Alluminium foil) will not melt as the wicks do not get hot enough (been using it on ends of my staffs for 3 years), Also its the same stuff they use in the making of Alluminium tape.

To play it safe is not to play

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I stand corrected ubbangel

I was going on the advice of this man

Written by: squarefish

Aluminium foil melts quite easily as well: not a great amount of heat required, and it certainly becomes weaker after heating and more likely to tear, even when it has cooled down again.
M

[Old link]

I've personally witnessed many of his experiments and always heed his advice well. Maybe the wood is absorbing some of the heat?

Damn you guys and your diy stores. I searched hi and low for a dowel i was happy with over here and got nothin. Brushes are there alright but i never found one long enough or nice looking enough wink to work for me

Love is the law.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
umm, i didnt know that kevlar was around in medieval times......... :P

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Oil soaked rags tied to eithe rend then I take it ;p

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i've seen that once, luckily the chair that the oil soaked rag hit eek when it came of the staff was unoccupied

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
if you can't use kevlar you could use denim, just make sure its wound very tightly

"Quote coming soon..."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
and maybe attached with thick wire

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
but with attatched, maybe somehow go through the wood with the wire or something, as Ive seen really tight wire still fall off

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
do three coils maybe, one on each end and one in the middle

"Quote coming soon..."

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
the wire was wrapped a few times all the way down the whick... and the people who were making them had made them before... maybe that one was just unlucky